GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has a CDL license?

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Whats up guys? I have my liberal arts associates degree so thats not doing me any good really. Lately I been thinking of making a career change and looking in to getting my CDL license. Was just wondering how long the process is from starting school to landing a decent job. Is it hard to get a job with UPS or FEDEX driving? Im not really crazy about the idea of driving a tractor trailer cause Id like to be home by the end of each day. From what I understand this is a good field as theres still good demand for drivers and they make decent pay? Thanks for any input or help from the truck drivers on here.

AdvanSuper

Banned
Commercial Drivers License.

AdvanSuper

Banned
ROFL I thought it was "What is"

It shouldn't be hard to get at all though. I don't think there is any special type of test either, it's just to drive commercial trucks not tractor trailers IIRC.

As for demand in drivers my uncle was a seasonal employee for UPS for 4 months and they let him go and that was in NY. If they were in need I'm sure they would have kept him and he also doesn't have a CDL. I don't think it's needed for FedEx or UPS.

Chris@RT

Banned
The commercial part of CDL doesn't really mean shit anymore it is all weight based and has nothing to do with commercial.

Class C CDL is for vehicles that carry 16 or more total occupants including driver.. ever wonder why they stop at 15 passenger vans?? OR hazardous materials. If you had 15 of your own kids and you drove them to school you would technically need a class C CDL even though they are your kids.

Class B CDL is required for anything over 26,001lbs even if its you are just driving your motorhome full of your gold to the grocery store for the hell of it. Even if not over 26Klbs combined trailer is limited do 10K lbs or less(as is your normal drivers license I think.) So if you had a 5Klbs truck and a 10,001lbs trailer this wouldn't be good enough.

Class A CDL is for anything over 26,001lbs combined truck and trailer and/or anything with a trailer 10,001lbs or more.

The labeling of classes even for passenger cars and motorcycles may vary slightly from state to state but they all basically fall in line between states.

As for UPS or Fedex as far as I am aware they do not require any form of CDL for the standard box delivery vans as they are not over 26Klbs and there is no trailer. My neighbor back in NJ was a fedex driver and I recall him telling me one time when a harry potter book came out that they were out pulling over and ticketing every FEDEX truck because they were overweight and the drivers don't have the licenses they required to go along with the weight just normal drivers licenses.

The tests are different for each class and most schools supply you with a truck as part of the price to take the test or sometimes even the employeer that is hiring you would supply it, if you have a job already.

BoardSnow6

Banned
Its not. You cant get a CDL until your 25 I believe(?), and a friend of mine just turned 22 and is getting a job with UPS as a local delivery truck driver.

BoardSnow6

Banned
It was funny the other day, the state cops were pulling over garbage trucks to make sure their weight was under the limit of Class B and if it wasnt and the driver didnt have a CDL, the pricks were writing them fines and giving tickets.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
so then what, go for a class "A" license and cover all your bases from bus, to boxtruck to dumptruck to have best chances of landing job soon after?

BoardSnow6

Banned
You could just get the delivery job to get experience and go from there to see if you like it?

Chris@RT

Banned
so then what, go for a class "A" license and cover all your bases from bus, to boxtruck to dumptruck to have best chances of landing job soon after?

There is going to be a significant cost difference, yes class A would cover all your bases but if you are just looking to tow single vehicles with no trailer that may be over 26K lbs then you don't need the extra expense and more difficult test. I think for example most states require you to then test in a truck/trailer that has a GVWR of over 26K lbs and that test is much harder. If you don't need it why pay more and risk having to repeat tests.

If your goal is UPS or FEDEX as long as your normal record is decent then you should be fine with the license you have (assuming you have one).

Chris@RT

Banned
^^Thanks for the info Chris. Meeting with a school tomorrow to get more specifics.

Let us know what you find out, I've always wanted to get a class A for the sake of saying I have it/did it much like all the other random shit i do or have.. But never wanted to spend the time or money.

Do I need my GWL (Georgia weapons license)... no but it exists, I could get it easily in the county I lived in, so i had to have it :)

Which reminds me I need to go change my drivers license in the next week or two... crap.

turbotrucka

Rig Stig
I have had my class A for 11 years now and the job market for OTR sucks. You'll work 70+ hours a week and barely make $600. I work for FedEx Freight now and do very well. This is not however a job you can get with no experience. They require a minimum of 2 years experience before they'll even look at you. And even then you have to go through and extensive background check and so on... You can hire into FedEx as a driver apprentice(if they're even hiring any at the time)and work your way into a driving position. Most start as dock workers and the just move into the driver position. A few here is st Louis have recently done so.

If you're looking into getting tour cdl any other way, plan on at least a couple years of making little to no money and never being home. After you've "paid your dues" you can probably get into something that's worth while. I wasted so much time on bullshit companies who promise you the sky and deliver dog shit. Where I'm at now is where I'll be until I retire.

Any questions, just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk