GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why a GTI, if there is a speed limit?!

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I believe there was a time (about 6 years ago) when Montana didn't have an interstate speed limit. Did anyone from this site ever take advantage of that?

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Here in the USA the speed limit is just a guideline. Its actually up too the state to set and enforce the speed limits for the past few years. I drive home on the Indiana toll road. To pass cars i have to be going about 85 0r 90mph. Most people run about 75 to 80. The police let this go as long as your not darting in and out of traffic. THe power the GTI puts out makes this kind of driving fun and easy. And for your information there are stretches of roads in Montana that have no speed limit......Not sure but Utah was going to do the same . I have many twisty turny backroads that are very fun too test the handling of my GTI. By the way it got an A+

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
I believe there was a time (about 6 years ago) when Montana didn't have an interstate speed limit. Did anyone from this site ever take advantage of that?

I sure did. I played Junior A hockey out west in Wyoming, and had to cut through Montana to get there. The daylight speed limit was "Reasonable and Prudent", and the night speed limit was 65 or something.

Eventually, they had to set standard speed limits, because the law was open to interpretation, which can't be held in court. There are no limit free roads there.

I would go 100+ all the way through, and it was my favorite part of the drive.

Also, tydale, "Here in the USA the speed limit is just a guideline"...

The speed limits are...limits, not guidelines. You can get a ticket for 1 over.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
tydale3 said:
Here in the USA the speed limit is just a guideline. Its actually up too the state to set and enforce the speed limits for the past few years. I drive home on the Indiana toll road. To pass cars i have to be going about 85 0r 90mph. Most people run about 75 to 80. The police let this go as long as your not darting in and out of traffic. THe power the GTI puts out makes this kind of driving fun and easy. And for your information there are stretches of roads in Montana that have no speed limit......Not sure but Utah was going to do the same . I have many twisty turny backroads that are very fun too test the handling of my GTI. By the way it got an A+

IIRC, Montana has since retracted this policy and set the highway speed limit at 75. Too many people from other states were going there just to drive fast.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Why a GTI?

Because the Garden State Parkway flows at about 80mph with heavy traffic,.......and sometimes I feel the need to pass.

150mph is handy for use against the occasional hater too.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Slowride said:
Also, tydale, "Here in the USA the speed limit is just a guideline"...

The speed limits are...limits, not guidelines. You can get a ticket for 1 over.

I think he meant the old national speed limit of 55. States are free to set the speed limit without having to abide by a national regulation.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Teknophreak said:
I think he meant the old national speed limit of 55. States are free to set the speed limit without having to abide by a national regulation.

Understood, but he said:

To pass cars i have to be going about 85 0r 90mph. Most people run about 75 to 80.

He means speed is a guideline that the police choose to enforce when they want to, I think.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
kirk180 said:

haha yeah it used to be "reasonable and prudent"...but now the interstates are set at 75. i drove out there last year to billings...there aren't any police patroling on the highways, so you can still bascially do what you want

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
feuerdog said:
Why a GTI?

Because the Garden State Parkway flows at about 80mph with heavy traffic,.......and sometimes I feel the need to pass.

150mph is handy for use against the occasional hater too.

ha...80...how about more like 90

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
Wild Hare said:
I am German (from my Fathers side) and I've been on the Autobahn and numerous other highways and such in Europe after being in the Military.
It's a Passion thing for me... I have always liked the small economy cars that are light and quick.

I haven't been this excited since I bought my first GTI in '83.

I love speed and in our country you really can't go fast for any length of distance.
If people here drove like you do in Germany (with respect for one another and the slower car would get the hell out of the way) and had the great roads you do I suppose we would drive faster.

The GTI is a great all around car for the price. In my opinion no one makes a car as Great as the Germans do!

By the way, I love your country and how clean it is and the respect you have for your elders!!

Have a great day!

Erik

Kind words - thx 4 that!

See, everybody is missing those things he could not have. As i wrote before: driving in the states is big fun to me :w00t:

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
sry 4 cross promotion...

i just uploaded a vid... maybe you would like to see a GTI at 150mph - legal :wink:

http://www.badongo.net/vid/115113

Did it just 4 you, my speed-limit-harassed friends!

desafinado

Passed Driver's Ed
NO MAAM! said:
I am curious! (no offence!!!:smile: )

If you are not German: why did you own a GTI, when u never have the chance to drive (legaly) with top speed? :help:

If there would be a speed limit in Germany, my car would be big, soft and cosy.:smile:

Sure, the GTI is a very good car everywhere, but where is the fun? Just the handling on small streets?

Give me a hint! (easy english favored :thumbsup: )

btw, this is my first international posting - forgive me any spelling mistakes

About 55% of all BMWs, MBs, Porsches (and 10% of VWs) are sold in the USA. Americans buy them because they can; and they're nice cars to drive. It's really too bad that most of us won't ever get the chance to enjoy these machines at 100+ mph speeds on public roads. The fastest I've driven is a sustained ~90mph (140kph) without risk of a violation.

On the other hand, when you drive at 150mph on the Autobahn, it does get tiring because you have to concentrate harder. At least that was my experience while living in Bayern. You can't take your eyes off the road much to enjoy the view. Unless I had places to visit between points A and B, I preferred to take the high speed train InterCity Express (ICE).

Although the freeway system in the US in bigger, I don't see the speed limit going much higher than it is right now. It's 65mph in California and many sections have 70mph. Our driving manners are very poor compared to the Germans. They drive much faster but they're more polite and their driving manners are predictable. Not so long ago I had a teenager driver trying to pass me by driving on the emergency lane (right shoulder) in his Ford pick-up. :eek:

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I want to add onto desa's point about driving manners. In the US, we can't drive for shit. Did you notice in the video that people actually move over when a faster vehicle approaches. That's something you hardly ever see in the states.

Great video, the GTI seemed very stable and relatively quiet at ~150mph. Thanks for sharing.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
what i mean is just that, It is up the the state police on the Toll Road to decide what speed they will pull you over for, not what is posted. If they pulled everyone over that was going 56 miles per hour they would need 10,000 poilice cars. During rush hour they let you run 80 if your not acting a fool. So the posted speed is a guideline. Traffic on I-65 going south runs at higher speeds than that most of the time. I have run 90 plus all the way to Indianapolis and never seen 1 car pulled over in 150 miles.

My salesman was from Germany and lives there. He told me the only cars in germany that dont have some kind of speed limiter is a porshe. All audis , vw's, benz. bmw's all have limiters just like American cars. They just allow a little more so called top speed, depending on what american car you compair it too.