GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Do I Need To Unplug My Router Every Few Days?

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Every few days all the computers, iPhones, iPads etc lose connection to my router. Almost like the router crashes and I have unplug the power supply for like 10 - 15 sec and its fine for another few days. This has happened with few different routers. They seem to be fine for like 6 - 10 months when they are new but after that time the need to reset them starts again. It really fucking blows so I am just wondering if this is a common thing? Do you other guys have this same problem? I have bought a different brand of router every time I finally get fed up with resetting it so it's not a problem with any certain manufacture. For reference the last few routers I have had were belkin, linksys, cisco and D-link. I haven't tried an Apple Airport and to be honest I really want to but they just have so many shitty reviews. I really don't think the Airport can be as bad the reviews make it sound but the amount of bad reviews about it is pretty astonishing. Anyway can anybody help me out here with some incite?

Jaber

Modero
Routers are like mini computers, they need to be rebooted every so often. But this however, depends on the load that the router encounters. Higher load (HD streaming, downloading, online gaming, IP cameras, etc) can cause the router to exhaust its resources. Why sometimes someone with a cheap router (lower processor/RAM), will encounter problems if they have more network activity versus someone who uses the wifi to browse sites.

I had to upgrade our home router to ASUS RT-N66U and have been happy so far. Forgot the previous Dlink model I had, but the ASUS has faster processor and more RAM. If I had a spare 1U server or mini PC, could of used pfsense and made my own router :)

For fixes:

-Make sure router is getting nice clean air, so heat doesn't buildup
-Put it on a electrical timer if you don't want to upgrade your router
-Upgrade router depending on your needs

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Great link above. I would normally point to a bad router. I am using Fios' router with great success... but otherwise I'd go with an expensive/high quality router if it didn't. ASUS makes great routers. You can hack it and load DD-WRT or Tomato which provides for a super stable platform.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
my asus one upgraded to tomato firmware and one with ddwrt, stable as heck..no resets needed in a year

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
my asus one upgraded to tomato firmware and one with ddwrt, stable as heck..no resets needed in a year

I had an ASUS router with stock hardware and I would have to reset it every now and then... got annoying. Loaded Tomato and didn't restart for a year. It was amazing. Made me a believer.

kashak

Ready to race!
The crap that you have at home can be barely called a router and real routers cost thousands of $. It also, most likely, acts as a switch (and a very shitty one for that matter), which adds additional load on it. Cable or ADSL? Cable has the potential to be faster, but you are most likely sharing it with the neighborhood. Add to the fact all the other crap like dynamic ips and it's not surprising that you have that problem(which is, btw, not uncommon).
Too many factors and no real solution I'm afraid, except for moving to a different location or switching your ISP.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Airport extreme, best router I've ever used. I think I've reset it only a handful of times in 4 years. Updating the firmware can be done through the iPhone app which is handy.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Airport extreme, best router I've ever used. I think I've reset it only a handful of times in 4 years. Updating the firmware can be done through the iPhone app which is handy.

The airports are nice but I hate how Apple locks it down. You have to use their utility to configure it and of course they don't let you do what you want to do with it.

Merkle

Banned
Every few days? Sounds like you may need to re-set-up your network or need a new router. I have to reset mine every 6 months or so.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
In the past I've had that issue when a router was nearing the end of its life. Usually took at least a couple of years to get to that point though, not 6 months. I'd update the firmware and if it's still fucked spend a bit more on a better one.