GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why does my DSG keep changing gear in manual mode?

Buncy

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2017 mk7 GTD DSG, when the gearbox is in manual mode (Selector pushed to the left) it keeps down shifting when I accelerate?
What's the point of a manual mode if it's still changing gear of it's own accord.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Are you flooring the throttle? If so, this is what it's meant to do but it shouldn't downshift otherwise. This is a safety feature.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like it is protecting the gearbox or engine as you are in to high a gear. Even in full manual mode it wont let you damage the gearbox or engine.

Buncy

Passed Driver's Ed
If I'm at 2,500 rpm in 3rd, it will down shift to second and bring the revs up to 4000 rpm. I'm not asking it to do anything that exceeds what the box can do.
This is the exact behaviour I would expect in auto mode but I can understand why it's changing in manual mode?
It's needs to be called auto with slight manual selection mode.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Works that way in all modes to prevent load issues at low revs (low speed pre-ignition being a major one). Ask the engine to provide heavy acceleration (load) and the ECU has to make some radical adjustments to timing, fuel, ignition, etc. to deliver said demand. Increase rpms through gear reduction (kickdown) and ECU has better chance of meeting acceleration demand without the significant adjustments or issues. Plus it gets fat boost and makes your eyeballs flat :D.

Play around with pedal travel and you will get a feel for where the kickdown threshold is. Don't like having this in manual mode? Get a stick or a TCU flash.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
You need to learn how to floor it without the kickdown. Constant rate of depressing the pedal is the key, and stop before the kickdown switch. It requires practice and patience.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
I drive around in manual mode and mine has never done that while cruising, only when I come to a stop or redline a few times?

Sent using Pied Piper middle out compression app

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
I drive around in manual mode and mine has never done that while cruising, only when I come to a stop or redline a few times?

I use my 2015 in manual (paddles) about 75% of the time, and mine has never shifted on its own in 36k+ miles, even in the most spirited driving. Not counting the shift into 1st from second when coming to a stop...:confused:

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
I use my 2015 in manual (paddles) about 75% of the time, and mine has never shifted on its own in 36k+ miles, even in the most spirited driving. Not counting the shift into 1st from second when coming to a stop...:confused:
Yeah if I'm in 2nd and come to a stop light it will automatically shift me into 1st, only if I come to a complete stop?