GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wife's 2016 Jetta GLI SE

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
As I posted in another thread, my wife traded her 2013 Jetta TDI for a 2016 Jetta GLI SE. For being of the same generation, she is way more impressed with the features offered in the 2016 versus her 2013. I think she is correct too because her car doesn't feel as cheap as the old one, and I actually like the way it handles compared to the old one.

Now here is something weird that I noticed about her car off the line. It feels as though it has more torque than my GTI from a dead stop. If I am not careful when pushing the accelerator from a dead stop, I find I can spin her tires much easier than mine.

OTOH, once rolling and I floor it, it doesn't move as fast as mine does and that is to be expected since mine is modified and hers is stock. I'm just wondering if it is really a torque thing or a more responsive accelerator?

Lastly, since this thread is worthless without pics, here is a link to the pics I took after detailing it: http://s803.photobucket.com/user/ChrisBz_goodies/library/Nicole

It was in a pretty sorry state as delivered with complimentary scratches and swirls in paint. I just couldn't let that go.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
That makes total sense. I was wondering why mod for mod, the GLI always seems to be slower. Today was the first day I drove her new car because she wanted my take on it. So, I drove it like I drive mine, traction control off and in manual or sport mode, depending on my mood. :D

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
How much did she get for the TDI, if you don't mind saying. Just wondering if it's any lower now because of dieselgate.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
They gave her $15,500 for it. IMHO that was low, but it is not like any non-VW dealers around here will pay top dollar for one. In fact, one dealership told me they wouldn't even consider my GTI on a trade!

Jaber

Modero
Kind of surprised, thought you would be done with VW :) But on a serious note, were you guys aware of this and if so, were able to use it? https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/program_rules/

Inregards to GLI Vs GTI. Driving my wife's GLI, I have to be way more sensitive on the pedal, it feels more instant, than the GTI. Like you mentioned.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Kind of surprised, thought you would be done with VW :) But on a serious note, were you guys aware of this and if so, were able to use it? https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/program_rules/

Inregards to GLI Vs GTI. Driving my wife's GLI, I have to be way more sensitive on the pedal, it feels more instant, than the GTI. Like you mentioned.

It is my wife's car and she pays for it. If I were paying for it, she wouldn't have a VW!

Edit: in case you can't tell, she likes VW and the dealership. I, on the other hand, have a different opinion of both.

Edit 2: She is getting 2 gift cards. One for the dealership and one that is good anywhere. I forgot the amounts though.

Last edited:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
It is my wife's car and she pays for it. If I were paying for it, she wouldn't have a VW!

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
If you have the MK6 GTI then yea hers would have more torque stock since the MK7s came with more torque and few extra hp. Obviously tuned and what not then the GTI will have the upper hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
If you have the MK6 GTI then yea hers would have more torque stock since the MK7s came with more torque and few extra hp. Obviously tuned and what not then the GTI will have the upper hand

It is just that initial split second where the car starts to roll that it feels like more torque than mine. I don't know if VW changed the throttle response or not but hers seems slightly more responsive at takeoff.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
From what I've heard the GLIs are somehow lighter than the GTI or something like that

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I just want to update this. We swapped cars last weekend because I took my wife's car to have the window tinted. My wife noticed that my car didn't have the same off the line grunt as hers but she said my car feels WAY faster than hers. She said that she got on it and was doing 80 MPH before she even knew it. She still won't let me tune hers though...