GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windows steaming up when driving

daveb15

Ready to race!
Driving in today in the rain and the windows suddenly all steamed up I got them cleared but then steamed up again later on. Have had this happen a couple of times in the past but not as bad as today. Never had an issue on previous cars as noticeable as this.

Not sure if it’s related but I get quite a bit of water between the outer and inner seal on the door shuts if the car sits on the driveway in the rain as seen in the photo attached.

Is this normal should I be concerned.
D1821D41-0014-4403-8865-ECAE3541D027.jpeg

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Not had a problem with the windows steaming up yet but I have had the rear doors full up with an alarming amount of rain water after a heavy shower that escapes like a running tap only when they are opened. I know it's a long standing design flaw but they really should have corrected it for the mk 8.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
in the climate screen, you can tap auto and select fan speed as low / medium / high. I tend to set mine at high during the winter months to prevent misting.

tos

Go Kart Champion

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Not had a problem with the windows steaming up yet but I have had the rear doors full up with an alarming amount of rain water after a heavy shower that escapes like a running tap only when they are opened. I know it's a long standing design flaw but they really should have corrected it for the mk 8.
The doors on my mk6 Golf GTD used to do that. The drainage holes and rubber strips along the bottom of the doors on the Polo must be a different design as I’ve not had this issue on my last - and current - Polo GTI.

@daveb15 - it’s not uncommon at this time of year for the interior surface of the car’s windows to collect condensation while it’s parked up - especially overnight (you’ve not said if your steamy windows are present before you start driving or if it happens after you’ve started your journey) - there are usually discussion threads on the subject of condensation / steaming up windows on many forums at this time of year.

Also, if you’re using air recirculation and there’s moisture in the interior of the car, you’re recirculating the humid air around the cabin and it’ll take ages for the windows to clear (I hardly ever use air recirculation in my car); they might not clear or stay clear until you switch off air recirculation.

As the mk8 is very similar in design to the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf, it might be worth checking some of the possible sources of water ingress on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf that might be the cause of your steaming up windows. Some of the items below may be age-related (e.g. perished tailgate drain tube grommet) and may not be relevant to your fairly new mk8 but I’ve included them below for completenes;
  • Wet or clogged up pollen filter.
  • Failed seals between the doors and speakers in the rear doors (when this happens water runs into rear passenger footwells rather than out of the door drainage holes to the outside of the car, so the carpet in rear passenger footwells will be wet).
  • The Aircon evaporator tube draining into the front of the car’s cabin rather than out under the car.
  • Damaged or distorted door / window seals, allowing water / moisture ingress into the cabin.
  • If the car has a sunroof, blocked drainage sunroof drain tubes.
If any of the undernoted causes are allowing water ingress into the car, there’ll be moisture / dampness in the boot or spare wheel well. The back seat may be damp with item no’s. 3, 4 and 5.​
  1. Perished grommet on the bottom of the tailgate drain tube, allowing water to collect inside the tailgate and then drain into the boot / spare wheel well.
  2. Damaged or perished rear light cluster seals.
  3. Damaged seal between roof aerial and roof (roof lining will become damp and stained).
  4. Poor seal at the entry and exit points of the ribbed rubber sleeving that protects the electrical wiring running from the car body into the tailgate.
  5. Poor seal between the tailgate hinges and the car body above the boot opening.
  6. Poor seal between the car body and the air equalisation flaps (located in the lower rear quarter panels - concealed behind the rear bumper). If the seal is allowing water ingress, the boot floor or spare wheel well will be damp / wet.
In addition to the above, check for damp / wet clothing or footwear that might have been left in the car.

daveb15

Ready to race!
I give all these things a check, thanks. When I first get in to car the windows are misty but then clear. But about 15 mins later start misting up again.

Reactions: tos

tos

Go Kart Champion
I give all these things a check, thanks. When I first get in to car the windows are misty but then clear. But about 15 mins later start misting up again.
I think that is software bug. I read somewhere that early first golf8's have that. Windows get fogged suddenly...
I cannot find that discussion.