GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Women & Manual Transmissions

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
My wife can drive a manual. Almost every car I've had since I've been with her was a manual, and she didn't mind them at all (she loved my M Roadster). That said, she prefers my DSG GTI over the manuals. But what I get is up to me. I could go back and get a manual RWD BRZ if I wanted. She gets her car, I get mine.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
I prefer people to drive what they are comfortable with. There are too many out there that do not possess the driving skill (manual or auto) or it may be that their attention is elsewhere?
My girl can not drive stick, but is eager to learn. I'm still not too sure about this. I like the fact that I can leave town for a few days and know my GTI will be in the garage untouched when I get back.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
Um hello? I'm a girl and drive a stick, thank you very much.

I'm with ya, sister.

My first VW (in 1999) was a manual, I've had only manual VW's ever since. My 2 cars right now are both 6 spd mans. My GTI on order is the same!
Wouldn't have it any other way....a dying breed we are. :fighting0030:

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
My wife doesnt even drive... She doesnt want to... But when ive taken her out to teach her she has driven both manual and auto...

Just depends what someone has been taught.

Bender1

Banned
Fair enough, I should have said "many women refuse to learn"..which is what prompted my post....I didn't mean all women......

I would put $100 on my wife driving manual better than you. Ever heel-toe in stilletos?

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
To be honest, most women in the US, according to surveys, think that a car is something that gets you from A to B. That could explain a perceived reluctance in learning manual, because it can be summed up as, "why bother?" to them.

This is a nice summary of why my fiancee prefers automatic. It's more convenient. She can drive stick decently enough, but views cars as A to B appliances, so doesn't see the point of doing more work to get from A to B. That makes sense to me. Even if I don't feel the same way, I respect her views.

I don't have any problems with someone preferring a manual, nor someone who likes a DSG. Just enjoy your own car, and stop worring about the choices other people make.

Agreed.

Lend27

Passed Driver's Ed
My wife taught me when we were dating. Now she drives an automatic. She's going to drive my Golf this weekend just to make sure she can. She has driven my Tundra 5 speed with no problems. She can drive them fine. She just chooses not to. To each their own.
I love driving a manual shifter. It just feels like I have more control of the vehicle. The Golf is just so much fun to drive.

Len

fender177

Ready to race!
My GF wants to learn. Figures she wants to learn on my GTI :cringe: I've taken her out a couple of times in some parking lots and she did well. We haven't graduated to the streets yet though lol

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
shit my girlfriend made fun of ME because i never owned a M/T car (although i knew how to drive one)
this was while i had my audi and she had the mini S

and now its opposite...i have the GTI which is M/T and she now has an automatic Tiguan

Mk6Chick1

Ready to race!
I'm with ya, sister.

My first VW (in 1999) was a manual, I've had only manual VW's ever since. My 2 cars right now are both 6 spd mans. My GTI on order is the same!
Wouldn't have it any other way....a dying breed we are. :fighting0030:

My favorite part of this is the shocked face I get when a dude pulls up next to me in his ricer car of choice and it's an automatic...then his boy in the passenger seat says "Oh shit homes, she's driving a stick!!" :laugh: