GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you trade for a e46 M3??

Hramsey

Passed Driver's Ed
The car would be my daily driver and the maintanence cost are not an issue i have a shop that will be doing it all for a very reasonable price. Ive had the car checked and the RTABS are good the subframe is good the suspension is good but the thing you can never be sure about is the SMG pump.. Thinking about swapping it too 6mt eventually though so i think id be fine for the next month or so. Such a tough decision cause i absolutely love my GTI

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Wait a few years. No one doubts that car is better is nearly all respects...if we were walking into a dealer circa 2006 with a full BMW warranty. I'd even get the SMG. The car was made between the digital and mechanical age. Unless the shop gets black market parts...there is no avoiding the cost of them. And you can't skimp. Death and taxes...

Buy it and report back though!

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'd only go for it if it was a manual and if you've got some money saved up for maintenance. SMG isn't the greatest transmission... if you want an advanced automated manual transmission, DSG is one of the best on the market. Gas mileage will be lower as well, so for me I'd keep the GTI as a daily, but the E46 would be a pretty sweet weekend car.

Jack14

Ready to race!
The car would be my daily driver and the maintanence cost are not an issue i have a shop that will be doing it all for a very reasonable price. Ive had the car checked and the RTABS are good the subframe is good the suspension is good but the thing you can never be sure about is the SMG pump.. Thinking about swapping it too 6mt eventually though so i think id be fine for the next month or so. Such a tough decision cause i absolutely love my GTI

If that SMG pump starts giving you a hard time that'll be your indicator to switch to a manual. Ive seen threads where people just can't drive their cars because every other day the pump is temperamental and the car won't start. LMK if you have any questions!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

An offer for me came along that left me with a tough decision.. An e46 M3 with 80k miles is being sold for only 11k. Many of you will automatically assume somethings wrong with it but let me assure you its been checked out thoroughly and is in very good condition. The only downside is its an SMG... Would you sell your GTI for a chance with this car?

11k :laugh: Is this an SMG car? There is no way it is "ok" for 11k with 80k miles. Either SMG+ Convertible+salvage title...

I spent 6 months looking for an E46 M3 and am now selling mine... I know pretty much all there is to know about these things...

Jack14

Ready to race!
Also you know all about the GTI but not about the M3 so id say its best to ask the question over here as well. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9 Both sides will be biased as a car guys car is almost always the best. Regular car reviews reference for anyone who watches.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
I'm doing the opposite :)

Looking to sell off my '04 m3 with 88k miles on it currently. Fully loaded with SMG.
Haven't had any smg problems but tons of others. Vanos, subframe, little bits here and there.

It's been a money pit and with us looking at having a baby and moving to a bigger house, I'm trying to find ways to save. mk6 gti sounds like a good compromise to me :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'm doing the opposite :)

Looking to sell off my '04 m3 with 88k miles on it currently. Fully loaded with SMG.
Haven't had any smg problems but tons of others. Vanos, subframe, little bits here and there.

It's been a money pit and with us looking at having a baby and moving to a bigger house, I'm trying to find ways to save. mk6 gti sounds like a good compromise to me :)

What are you pricing yours at?

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
What are you pricing yours at?

Would like to get $18k for it.
Car has subframe reinforcement plates welded in,
vanos has been completely redone and should be solid,
inspection I and II are up to date.
will have new tires on it when sold.
wife told me I've put about $8k into it since getting it last January... lol

I figure I should be able to get that for it.

Edmundo

Ready to race!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Would like to get $18k for it.
Car has subframe reinforcement plates welded in,
vanos has been completely redone and should be solid,
inspection I and II are up to date.
will have new tires on it when sold.
wife told me I've put about $8k into it since getting it last January... lol

I figure I should be able to get that for it.

Interesting... I am in a similar boat... although slightly older M3 but looking for roughly same price with similar miles...So far little interest.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

JulieDriving

Passed Driver's Ed
Not for the SMG, that's a deal-breaker for me.

+ 1.

As much as I love the E46 M3, I would only get it in manual.

11k :laugh: Is this an SMG car? There is no way it is "ok" for 11k with 80k miles. Either SMG+ Convertible+salvage title...

I spent 6 months looking for an E46 M3 and am now selling mine... I know pretty much all there is to know about these things...

Why are you selling yours? Problems or just want a new car?

booey1979

Go Kart Champion

Buy a manual. No sense if buying an smg and doing a swap.

Kad10

Passed Driver's Ed
As an owner, let me just say you better have the money to back up the car. Especially when you need to do the valve adjustment service, say goodbye to about $2k.

Its a fun car, dont get me wrong, but I bought the GTI because it's cheaper to maintain, drive, fuel up, and have a good time in.