GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

All those "issues" concerning the GTI Speedo.

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
I've noticed a lot of people on the VW vortex forum whining about how the GTI speedometer is so inaccurate and horrid. Honestly, it's fine. When I am at 80, I am pretty sure I am going 80, and so are all the rest of the cars on the highway. One thing about the speedometer that is confusing is the number placement. Everything is so close together one could thing they're going 90 when going 85 and such. It takes a little while to comprehend one's actual speed. I know all cars have a small percentage of error, and it's the same case with the GTI, but I haven't experienced 9%. It's a beautiful vehicle that has jaw dropping performance. I'm just glad you guys don't whine, and I'm also glad you guys have a true appreciation for these vehicles.:thumbup:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Dubdr said:
I know what you mean, I don't go onto vortex anymore. More haters then VW fans it seems to me.

Yes, and it seems a lot of them don't know how speedometers work, about tolerances and manufacturer liability in the USA.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
The way I see it is this 'error' is more liek protection. If you think you're going faster than you actually are, you're less likely to get a ticket, right?

And yes, the 'tex does seem to be chock full of whiners...everybody seems to be bitching about something on there...or they're the hardcore expert and everybody else is a dummy/noob.

I like this place, things are much more mellow here :thumbsup:

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I only wish that I agreed with you all. It would be nice if mine worked. I know you all think that it is not a big deal, but if yours was actually not working maybe you would feel different. I understand that you are frustrated with us who are angry at VW for not doing anything about this problem, but that is no reason to yell at us. I think that the only way the GTI's with problems are going to get fixed is if we speak out about the problem. I will admit that it is not something that should take up an entire forum.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
but what bout the light... when i drive the light sorta shines onto the edge of the speedo..

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Whafrodamus said:
Everything is so close together one could thing they're going 90 when going 85 and such.

Your right, we all just don't know how to read the speedo...

Sorry, but if you get out on the highway and time yourself between mile markers you will find that the speedo is off, and the % grows with your actual speed. It is a fact.

Now I am not saying that only VWs have this issue or anything like that... It doesn’t mean I am going to take my car in and demand that it be fixed either. But my love for the car is not going to blind me from seeing the facts.

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
I'm sorry but the speedo being off does nothing but annoy me. Almost every time I drive my car I use that little climate control "hack" so it displays my non-adjusted speed and I use that. I shouldn't have to do that. So when I take my car in for my 5k check I'm going to have them see about fixing this.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The US speedos do seem to be really off... mine is only off by like 2mph at 120, and the other GTIs of friends that I know of in the UK appear to be similar, certainly not by more than 4-5mph in extreme cases.
10mph off at 70 is just crazy.

marcinek

Touring Car Newbie
Who cares. How often do you look at your speedo anyways? I've never gotten a ticket and I NEVER look at the speedo; i judge from my surroundings and look at the cars around me. Afterall, that's what you SHOULD be looking at, not some dumb dial on your dashboard.