GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retarted design???

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Glue keeps from future leaks due to the bolts/screws loosening or rusting. It's an idea, yet not that great for your present situation.
Hope it works out.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I am gonna have to check this out the next time I go into the dealership. Which will be soon as the part for my fuel lines comes in.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
for their sake me too lol i love my car more than almost anything and if it aint right when they're done oooohhhh boy its gonna be trouble

Ok, have you looked in your owners manual for replacing bulbs?
Most manuals have a simple guide as to how to replace the bulbs.

Now, is the center light of a LED design?
LED lights can last, "can", potentially the life of the car so it may not be a "replacement" type item.

However, how can they tell that power is getting to the light if they can't access the wires and blub/s?

Take a look yourself of have a friend who knows something about cars take a look for you.

Is the light built into the spoiler by chance?

T

I don't have my car at the moment but I looked at it before and there are NO BOLTS. It's attached to the hatch itself and I've checked everywhere on it before (I was thinking how to put on an aftermarket one). The LED lens may come off from the outside with a tug, or there may have been screws on the lens itself. Don't remember. If it's under warranty take the chance then. Also, you don't have to have the 3rd brake light, unless you are having the "light-out" light on.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
the light is built into the spoiler they say there is power going to the light but dunno more than that because of the position of the light in the spoiler. the third brake light is an led setup and should last the life of the car.

Ok, well that explains some things.
Yes, the design is questionable as one would want access to bulb replacement to be quite simple.

However, the design is LED and thus intended for near life long use, and the unit is built into the spoiler. So, removing the spoiler may be the only choice.
Other than trying to pry open the lens from the outside, which may cause more issues, I'd say let the technician do his job.
But, find out if the unit is replaceable or repairable or if they need to order a whole spoil/light assembly.

I hope it works out for. I'm sure they'll put it back together and it will look just like new.
Make sure you tell them that is what you expect and will accept no less, but be firm yet be cool.
There is not need to get angry and make them nervous or spiteful.

T

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Wow!! now THAT is taking car of the customer. Talk about customer service.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
the solution to this issue was simpler than anyone thought replace the entire hatch... thats what they are going to do and i'll have my car back tonight

:bellyroll:
Simpler?!
I wouldn't say that, but maybe gluing the thing back on worries them more than nuts and bolts and wire connectors.

At least it'll be fixed.

T

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
loccusst said:
So the spoiler is glued on? Yeah that is stupid.

I would disagree. Adhesive is the only logical way to attach this to a hatch frame that is common to the Golf. Do you want holes in the hatch frame that could leak water over time? I don't.

As to "cutting it off", think about it, this makes sense too.

The light is part of the spoiler, to repair it you replace the spoiler. You do this by removing it from the hatch frame, removing the residual adhesive with solvent and put a new spoiler on.

There are many parts that use adhesive for attachment-like the side trim-and are destroyed if needing replaced.

Cutting holes in things to attach them was common in the 50's, but there are better ways now-adhesive.

Do you try to salvage a tail light gasket when you replace the tail light, or do you buy a new gasket? I buy a new gasket.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
But we are talking about a spoiler. If my light in the spoiler goes out I sure don't want to have to get a whole new spoiler. I understand the no bolt thing for attaching it to the hatch, but what about screws attaching the lens cover to a housing for the leds?