GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 4-Door

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My dealer has said orders in April delivery in July...several times.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
UNCbigM said:
80lbs? 80lbs??? Thats it?????
Spectacular.

I actually heard from another source that the wheelbase is exactly the same and even the overall length is the same (I would love to confirm that last bit with some Euro stats), that basically the front doors (which are -- ahhem --large) are simply shorter and the rears are added.

This is all very cool because my main concern is how it affects the driving dynamics of the car. If the difference is neglible I would certainly take two extra quite useful doors in exchange for rear windows that do not open and a body that looks slightly "sportier" but makes no real difference.

Again, I would LOVE to hear from some European drivers that have had driving experiences in both the 3dr and 5dr versions!

-M
All dimensions are exactly the same. Only difference is the door sizes.
I drive Both a 3 door and a 5door regular when i say regular its more or less every other day if not more often. Theres no difference what so ever to drive imho.
Only difference is over the shoulder and rear quarter views.
Smaller front doors on the 5 door (think its about 8" shorter) so easier to get in and out in tight spaces.
Apart from that there exactly the same you will not notice any other difference.

ColdPlayer

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a few notes to add...

Yes, 3 door and 5 door has the same wheelbase and the same overall length. But it was observed by many (maybe not everyone) that 5 door actually "looks" slightly longer than 3 door.

Theoretically, 5 door should lose some level of rigidity as extra doors are added. But I read a note from a semi-professional driver who drove both 3 door and 5 door on a circuit. He said he wouldn't be surprised at all if someone would claim that both model have the exact same driving characteristics.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Yay! Finallly! Keep the responses about the driving characteristics and facts between the two coming! Good to hear. :w00t:

Next issue for me at least (thogh it sounds like I've got until July to figure it out) is what tranny to go with. I was dead set on the MT6...but yesterday I brought a DSG home for a few hours, and upon having a little more seat time with it, its starting to grow on me. I've never owned a manual due to the types of cars I've owned and the parents not being able to drive them when I was growing up, so I figured I wanted one, no question. I love driving manuals and saw no reason to drop another grand on the DSG...but the DSG is just so easy to drive, seems to still have 90% of the fun of the manual, and the technology is so neat.

So, outside of the standard "I love __XXXX__ you should get it too" response, what do you guys think of the transmissions you have? :confused:

-M

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It looks longer because I believe the glass extends a bit farther back due to the extra doors. They shortened the doors by something like 8-10 inches but that wasn't enough to make 2 more doors so they extended the rear doors back beyond where the 2-door model doors go...if that makes sense.

That was my initial though but after looking at a picture of the 3 and 5-door side by side I think it's just the fact that the lines of the extra doors help to give the illusion of a longer sleeker body, and the lines where the glass meets the lower door are shaped a bit different on the 5-door.

ColdPlayer said:
Just a few notes to add...

Yes, 3 door and 5 door has the same wheelbase and the same overall length. But it was observed by many (maybe not everyone) that 5 door actually "looks" slightly longer than 3 door.

Theoretically, 5 door should lose some level of rigidity as extra doors are added. But I read a note from a semi-professional driver who drove both 3 door and 5 door on a circuit. He said he wouldn't be surprised at all if someone would claim that both model have the exact same driving characteristics.

Attachments

• wallpaper15.jpg
    wallpaper15.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 879

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
A41.8QTM said:
they extended the rear doors back beyond where the 2-door model doors go

This is always the case for any design of a 2 door/4 door car. As the 2 door has solid car beside the rear seat and an extended front door to get access to the rear seat, there always needs to be a different length total opening for a 4 door compared to a 2 door.

I would doubt the 5 door Golf/GTI in any less rigid than the 2 door, as the doors don't add much structural stability, and both versions have the massive A, B and C pillars. In fact, the B pillar is more centered for the 5 door.

uwhusky

Ready to race!
Please post again to this thread if anyone hears (definitavely) on when the 5-door will be available in the US.

Also, if anyone has actually placed an order for a 5-door or has seen paperwork at the dealer about what 5-door inventories are coming, please post that as well.

I was told by two dealers back in February that they would be receiving documentation on what inventory they'll be getting of the 5-door in March. It's now March28th and they still don't have that information.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I should be ordering in 2 weeks. I'll update when it's official.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
UNCbigM said:
Yay! Finallly! Keep the responses about the driving characteristics and facts between the two coming! Good to hear. :w00t:

Next issue for me at least (thogh it sounds like I've got until July to figure it out) is what tranny to go with. I was dead set on the MT6...but yesterday I brought a DSG home for a few hours, and upon having a little more seat time with it, its starting to grow on me. I've never owned a manual due to the types of cars I've owned and the parents not being able to drive them when I was growing up, so I figured I wanted one, no question. I love driving manuals and saw no reason to drop another grand on the DSG...but the DSG is just so easy to drive, seems to still have 90% of the fun of the manual, and the technology is so neat.

So, outside of the standard "I love __XXXX__ you should get it too" response, what do you guys think of the transmissions you have? :confused:

-M

I loves my DSG to bits, and wouldn't part with it for love nor money.

And to keep this on track - me and a friend always argue over 3 door vs. 5 door - I love 3 door cars, think they look better, etc. He loves 5 door cars, and won't budge.
But, and I say this in absolute confidence that none of you will ever repeat this to him, the 5 door is more practical and easier to open in a car park. Or anywhere.

/still loves 3-doors

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Has nothing to do with practicality to me really...I just think the 5-door is all kinds of sexy.

fletcher8969

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have paper work of any kind. The guy I've been talking to at the local dealership at first didn't think they were coming at all. He thought it was all speculation. I asked him if he could find out for sure one way or another. If they weren't coming then I'd buy the car now. If they were coming I'd wait for the 5 door. He called be back and said they were coming for sure in July. He expects to have the actual spec, VIN and price by early May. He said they would be "going to manufacturing in May and delivery in July." He did say that they would likely be 2007 spec vehicles as they've already been getting '07 versions of some of the other VW models. I then asked if the 07 models were getting launch control and he's currently trying to get the offical word on that. (I don't really care about launch control but I'm curious.) He went from being very skeptical to absolutely positive that they were coming in July.

That's all I know... and that I'm the first guy on the list for a 5 door in Santa Monica.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
They will be 2007 models...but we don't have anything concrete on potential changes from the 2006 models. I expect them to be 99% the same with maybe a few minor tweaks...mostly on the interior. Price will be $500 over the 3-door and they weigh about 60lbs more.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
uwhusky said:
U Dub Husky in Utah - we don't stay near the nest all of our lives! :)

I see that's a 5-door out at SIR. When was that?

My personal thought is that they're going to start manufacturing and shipping 5-doors to the USA in July (not actually on the lots in July) and most dealers are using that date as the date they quote customers. I think we'll start seeing them on lots in August or September.

August last year at SIR during Waterwagens event!

They also had a huge booth... giving away new GTI stuff as well: Clothing, hats, sweat bands.