GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Springs on Stock shocks, Good Idea???

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
befor you guys get done your gonna need someone to unpimp your ride!!!! The dealer loves you thou , so does VW , your voiding your warranty

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
tydale3 said:
befor you guys get done your gonna need someone to unpimp your ride!!!! The dealer loves you thou , so does VW , your voiding your warranty

I've talked to VW about this issue. Your only voiding your warranty on the springs, not the shocks, bushings, control arms etc.... Any problem you have because the car is lowered a.k.a. bottoming out is also gonna be a problem. If you don't know how to drive a lowered car, then don't fuck with it. If you do... go ahead, because any springs that are put on right won't cause any problems. I also talked with VW about the Eibach pro-kit being offered as an upgrade thru drivegear, and they told me they don't know for sure yet, but if it is and you have the install done at a dealership it will be covered under warranty (just keep the part numbers from the eibach box or packing slip)

:headbang:

NewYorkMike

So hot right now. . .
From what I understand, its not so much the drop that wears out the shocks so much as the stiffness. H&R sports are like .2-.3 lower than the Eibachs...but the Eibachs are not nearly as stiff. The H&R's are quite a bit stiffer and thus will not allow the travel on the shocks. THat said, the extra .3 on the lowering will look just that much better. I am undecided on which way I am going with this...eibach prokit or H&R Cup Kit.

And as Kurupt said, and I found out the hard way on my Jetta, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE A LOWERED CAR. You must become ultra-sensitive to road conditrions and debris on the road. you must enter driveways at an angle, etc. Now that I have done it I drive that way even though this car is not lowered. My wife's J-Wagon is getting lowered soon and I know she is going to have to learn how to drive it lowered...that going to be expensive.

fktnthhead

Living in the fast lane
Car(s)
2006 Black GTI
I just dropped mine 2" with H&R springs and stock shocks, it sounds like they're bottoming out. I'm going with some performance shocks but right now i'm just looking. I looks good, they were inexpensive and relatively easy to install. But like i said everything i drive over make clankity clank in the front of my car so I'm lookin for shocks.

mitong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Just installed Neuspeed springs and all i can say is WOW, looks and performance wise. Cant tell the difference in ride quality, LOVING IT

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Shifty said:
I'm going with H&R race until the stock struts go... I'll let ya know how long it takes. :D

I'm with Shifty. What else would you do with the STOCK stuff, if you got coilovers? It's not like anyone would actually PAY you for the used stock stuff anyway.

Better than worse case, if you aren't into competitive racing or track events, just go springs and stock shocks. The stock shocks MAY even last longer than most people think. OK, not the "perfect" combo, not the "perfect" drop, but for the money, it's damn near free (especially if you do the install yourself).

CASHmoney

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know the exact drop the Eibach springs give? The Eibach website claims 1" F/B but some people on here say 1.2". I'll probably be looking to get the Eibach springs as I have them on my Celica and couldn't be happier with the ride quality. I'm still on stock shocks after more than 4 years of having it lowered. I like the look of the H&R drop but don't want to replace the shocks. A 1.2" drop would be perfect for me and I'd like to make sure what the actual drop is with the Eibach springs.

redGTI

Axis Motoring
Car(s)
02 & 08 GTI, 08 M3
I'm with Shifty x2. Against all naysayers (sp) I went with Eibach Sportlines on my stock MK4 GTI struts, 4 years later the struts are still good...:thumbsup:

revaudi

Oval Newbie
redGTI said:
I'm with Shifty x2. Against all naysayers (sp) I went with Eibach Sportlines on my stock MK4 GTI struts, 4 years later the struts are still good...:thumbsup:
Obviously you were going for looks. My mk4 GTI handled like a Buick; the stock shocks were horrible. Not bashing, just depends what you are looking for.

If you do the install yourself, I see this as viable, but if you are paying for this, you will end up paying more in the long run. Of course, this also depends on how many miles you drive annually.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Do it once, and do it right the first time. Stiffer and lower springs with stiffer and lower dampers for teh win.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
I've talked to VW about this issue. Your only voiding your warranty on the springs, not the shocks, bushings, control arms etc.... Any problem you have because the car is lowered a.k.a. bottoming out is also gonna be a problem. If you don't know how to drive a lowered car, then don't fuck with it. If you do... go ahead, because any springs that are put on right won't cause any problems. I also talked with VW about the Eibach pro-kit being offered as an upgrade thru drivegear, and they told me they don't know for sure yet, but if it is and you have the install done at a dealership it will be covered under warranty (just keep the part numbers from the eibach box or packing slip)

:headbang:
I dont know why VW told you this because I find it hard to believe. If you put aftermarket springs on your car and your shocks or something of that nature blow, it wont be covered under warranty. I promise they will say something along the lines of "the factory shocks arent designed to work with aftermarket springs and the new springs caused the shocks to fail prematurely and will not be covered under warranty". Think about it logically, you modified the suspension and then something goes wrong...they are gonna say its because of the modification.