GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inexpensive Lightweight 17" Rims

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
frank2287 said:
does any one else know any other light wheels with a cheap price ???

That equation really doesn't make too much sense. Light & cheap...... hmmm.:bellyroll:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Well, Rota has done it. They've proven their worth in quite a few autox events on different cars. I just hope they make some that fit. Edge is definitely the low end price wise, but I know nothing about those wheels.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
AJChenMPH said:
I'm probably going to regret this (only because all of you are gonna go buy these and run the stock out before I even order my GTI :biggrin: ), but I found some fairly lightweight 17" rims that should fit the GTI (or any Mk V Golf) without too many problems:

Flik Ftd (matt Titanium)
Size: 17x8
PCD: 5x112
ET: 45
Weight: 18.5lbs
$102 per rim

http://www.edgeracing.com/2006/Audi/A3_2.0T_FrontTrack/wheels/17/

They are Flik wheels.
They come with cheesy chrome/plastic domed center caps, bolts, and plastic centering rings.

I picked up the 17x8 40et ones. Quality/finish is iffy, but they are light. I'm having them refinished in black. For $99 a wheel I can easily afford to repair/replace if anything goes wrong. And if they get scratched or dinged I can easily touch up black.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I wonder if the centering ring could cause problems maintaining lug nut torque? Post up pics, that should look sweet.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Centering is purely that, for centering the wheel to the hub. The plastic actaully can be better than metal because it won'y seize. It won't affect the bolts at all.

Pics will be posted as soon as i get a new camera.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I am curious about these wheels as well. Can't wait to see them on your car, AJChenMPH. I am looking for something similar too. 17's, light weight, and if possible cheap. I mean for this price, who cares if one cracks in half. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Will these fit on the Contipro rubber that came with the GTI?

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
They sure do. I guess I just have to decide if I'm ok with putting $99 wheels on my car! :iono:

By the way Shifty, I loved the GLI featured on the Vortex. If I didn't get the GTI I was considering a project like that. Seeing as I'm 20 and still in school I opted for the newer, (and my 3rd) GTI. Keep it up though.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
MY stock Bridgestone 225/45/17's fit awesome! Just like the stock wheel with just the slightest look of stretch, but not really. Trust me, when you see the pics you'll agree it looks great.

This wheel offset is PERFECT for a nice flush to sheetmetal fit. The stance looks more aggressive and "fatter" too, without being obviously or obnoxiously wide.

These things are light enough to actually FEEL the difference in unsprung weight while driving. I'm very happy.

The visual quality of the rims concerned me at first, and I had planned on painting them anyway, but I was curious to see if they would require alot of weight to balance. No problems there though, they all balanced out with less than an ounce each.

I got my new camera yesterday(Canon Powershot A610 5Mp) and i've only snapped a few shots so far. I'm going out now for a quick shoot and I should have pics posted later tonight when I get home.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
I agree.

I could care less about impressing anyone with looks, and I definately have an anti-bling style. They serve my purposes quite well. The style is functional, they are lighter than stock, they fill the wheel well width nicely, and they are inexpensive too.

Here are my pics:

17x8 45et (no spacers)
H&R Sport Springs
H&R 25mm adj. rear sway bar
Bilstein Sport Dampers
ECS Tuning Smoked bumper markers
REVO 93 oct dpp

Last edited:

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
MHS216 said:
Can't wait to see them on your car, AJChenMPH.
Actually, I don't even have a MkV GTI yet. I was planning on getting one at the end of this year, but wedding planning has pushed that back a bit further... :help:

And for whoever asked, ET45 is probably the better fitment vs. ET35.

Sco -- wanna try out my ET35 OZ Superleggeras for fit one of these days? :wink:

hakgwai

Touring Car Newbie
Car(s)
BMP GTI
what about Oettinger rims?...according to the Road & Track magazine it costs about $700...