GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Edmunds comparison Si vs. GTI

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I'm married with a house insured by them as well. Over 15 years because of my wife, she's been with them since her parents had her on their policy when she was 16, now 32.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Who quoted you $293 for 6 months? Full coverage, etc... That's crazy cheap.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
That wasn't a bad review of the cars. However, there are some glaring bias comments.
But then, everyone is entitled to their bias.
My complaint is that some information was simply wrong.
The biggest problem is the pricing.

The GTI 6 spd. manual has an MSRP of $22,620.
The Si 6 spd. manual MSRP is $20,290.
The difference in price is $2330, not the over $3600 reported in the review.
If there were options in either car that changes the base price then either I missed it while reading, or the information was simply not there. I'm going with the latter.

I had thought that maybe they were testing the DSG model, but even with the DSG the price difference is $3405, still under the price difference they were quoting.

Also, why was the guy harping on left foot braking in a 6 spd. manual car?
It's called "heel and toe". So, I was thinking maybe he was talking about left foot braking in the DSG as it's more like an auto trans in that you don't heel and toe, but you could use the brake to trail brake while staying on the throttle. But, the GTI picture shows it to be a 6 spd. manual trans not a DSG, and the GTI description says it is a "6 spd. manual" as well.

The other issue is that there is a reason why the GTI costs more than the SI, and that is in the area of interior build materials and their quality. I have not driven the Si, but I have sat in it.
The GTI interior is simply made better, and with better quality materials. Now, that may or may not be a factor for some buyers, but it is certainly a reality that needs to be explained, especially by an article that takes a $2330 price difference and explodes it to over $3600 without explaining why.

For me, I can easily see at least where some of that $2330 was spent in the GTI compared to the SI, and to me the interior quality makes a difference.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Wantagti said:
I'm gonna throw a wrench in that theory. Full coverage through State Farm every six months is $361.10 for the Si, $347.10 for the GTI. I wouldn't call that monsterous. Even if you're young or have a bad driving record, I would think the difference should still be minimal.

Now that's going way off topic.

Insurance is yet another sticky comparison. The only fair comparison of what one car cost to insure vs. another is ONLY valid to the specific person.
Insurance factors vary WILDLY from person to person, car to car, company to company.

T

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
GTT said:
The difference in price is $2330, not the over $3600 reported in the review.
If there were options in either car that changes the base price then either I missed it while reading, or the information was simply not there.

Earlier in the article, I read this:

Our Candy White GTI came standard with Interlagos plaid front seats (which are eight-way adjustable) and the meatiest three-spoke wheel we've wrapped our fingers around. The GTI comes standard with a flurry of electronic controls which, presumably, drive up its price. Antilock brakes, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Anti-Slip Regulation, Electronic Differential Lock and Electronic Stabilization Program are all included in the base price.

It was also fitted with the optional power sunroof, satellite radio, in-dash six-disc CD changer and rubber floor mats that added $1,555 to its base price, bringing the total price with destination fee to $24,175.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
What I think the gti really is, and they got that straight in teh article, is MORE CAR. It's a better hauler, a better people mover, and so on and so on. I'd bet my last buck the ride height makes most of the difference in handling that they noticed. I for one wouldn't trade the height for the smoother ride - it rides rough enough.

It seems to me most of the things he seemed to malign are the kinds of things an owner would appreciate and a test driver would find as shortcomings.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
It wouldn't differ for the same person, they rate the cars by a symbol, which apparently is almost identical.

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
It sounded like they were complaining about the esp not turning off when they pressed the button... i thought it completly shut off? Also, that fake lsd stuff, is there any way to get rid of that (like a real lsd)?

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Well first off i paid 22,000 for my MKV GTI 6 speed. Second They for sure were biased for the HONDA. All other testers had the GTI winning every catagory. I dought braking and skidpad is affected much by DSG VS 6 Speed. Speaking of I would gladly race anyone with a DSG (stock) for money right now. I have been driving manual trans cars my whole life. I dont need a computer to keep the car at peak torque for me. While you DSG drivers are smoking your tires ill be feathering the clutch right past your doors.

I do agree that the hondas, diff is a better way of getting the power to the ground., And the Honda is known for its reliablity. But the GTI can be tuned and or modified for far less money than the Honda with far more performance gains for your dollar.

Lastly, THere are far too many japenese cars on the road for my liking. Considering if you live in Japan an American car or Europian Car would cost way to much to consider because of the HIGH trarriffs on them in Japan. If you really want to make a dollar compairison lets see how many CIVICS and NISSANS would be sold accross the world if we all imposed the HIGH tarrifs on Japan cars. It is not free trade and our own government(USA) should be put out on the street, !!!! They are putting american car companys out of business and our own goverment is letting them do it. Most likely they are getting their pockets stuffed with dollars just like the people that did the comparsion test. MSN had honda as 9 out of 10 classes winning, INcluding the so called ridgeline pickup truck. WHat a joke. That thing compairs to the ford F150 like a corvette compairs to a YUGO. THe f150 being the corvette of course!!!!

I say it all really matters to each individual persons tastes. I by far choose the GTI over the Civic. For many reasons, mosly just because it is a better overall looking , feeling, driving car.

I drive my car , I dont go to the race track and race. If i did i wouldnt choose either one. I would choose a Race car. I would gladly race any honda on a twisty back road or through traffic on the Interstate. No matter who would win I would still rather have the GTI. I would have had too much fun to worrie about it if I lost. NOT everyone chooses to be a little different. There is enough hondas on the road for me.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
Ummm, consider the source. Expecting a great, in-depth review from Edmunds is like opening a bottle of Welches grape juice and expecting cabernet. If you want a real review, go to Car and Driver or a similar magazine that employs reviewers that can both write AND drive.

(and yes, I read the review, and yes, the reviewer should go back to reviewing ride-on lawnmowers for lawn and turf monthly, because it is clear that that is the extent of their previous motoring experience)

AlEkZ

Ready to race!
tydale3 said:
... Speaking of I would gladly race anyone with a DSG (stock) for money right now. I have been driving manual trans cars my whole life. I dont need a computer to keep the car at peak torque for me. While you DSG drivers are smoking your tires ill be feathering the clutch right past your doors....

anyone gonna take him up on that offer? it should be easy money if he has a stock GTI as well, have you seen the Videos section where the japanese profesional guy can't beat a stock DSG GTI?? wish I had a GTI right now :biggrin:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I take pride in my shifting abilities, but I have to be honest, I doubt you're going to beat the DSG cars. One thing quite a few people seem to forget, what does a turbo car do when you depress the clutch? The fastest cars and most consistent at the strip are auto's, and they have a converter and much slower shift times than this DSG. Can't wait to see if it makes its way into the drag racing scene.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
I feel the need to clear something up:

Just because I have some beef with the way the editor presented some misinformation and some bickering childish comments doesn't mean I like the Si any less as a car. Just didn't like the kind of rubbish the writer was banging on about.