GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Comparison Newbie Questions

dvsdimsum

Go Kart Champion
GolferInAction said:
rawr... haha ya ive been pulling up list of Cars i might want to get... very soon.... possibly next few months... Ive mustered up a bunch of cars... IS350, G35C, 330ci, Lancer Evo IX, WRX STI, and GTI.... ive been really liking the GTi... and i dunt know why... but my friends say they look to wierd and suck..(but thats what i dont believe)... so.... thanks for your input guys... anyone else?
and sorry to leave this out but... money is not an issue

am i the only person who saw this?:laugh:

there is obviously a lack of concept on price. The range we are talking about is early 20k's to 35k+. NOT INCLUDING MODS (which can change the prices/performance drastically). If money weren't an issue, what's stopping you from buying something ridiculously fast that would cost the rest of us our life earnings and our firstborn?

With that said, and to be productive, the GTI is a comfortable car that goes fast. For some more money on top, you can get something like the G35, which is IMO more comfortable and faster. For even more money, you can get an MB SLK for more comfort and even more speed. Pretty simple concept, no? More money = buy better things.

With a blatant disregard for money, who cares about reliability? Just buy another one.:clap:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Might as well just get a Z06. Pretty much no one will touch you in the 1/4, and no one save maybe a 911 will keep up at track.

On a more serious note and without trying to sound like a traitor, would I have bought the GTI if I had 35k to spend? maybe, but probably not. Don't get me wrong I love my GTI, its the 3rd one I've owned. The thing is I needed a new car at the time and went out to buy the most car I could afford for my budget. I just can't afford to wait and bank another 12 grand to be able to get something like an EVO or an STi. I've driven an A4 for about a year, and once you go AWD its hard not to go back.
That being said between the price of the GTI, we'll call it $25,000 for argument, and what it takes to get one of the above mentioned at about 32 or 33 grand, I don't think theres anything in between worth considering.
GTIs aren't really "streetracers" anyway so maybe its not the best choice for you.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
The BMW 330 is the only one on your list you might be able to hang with stock. Ive driven all the cars you mentioned and the G35 and IS350 would destroy the GTI unless you had some serious mods.

GolferInAction

Ready to race!
ahh thanks guys... why would i get something more expenisve? like an Z06 or and STI/Evo... i dunno... the GTI Catches my eyes and my heart... i can feel my fast pumping within me every time i look at one :) no joke thanks

Dude123

Oval Champion
Get a GTI, chip it, get an intake + exhaust. With those you'll be beating the cars you've listed in your first post.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
GolferInAction said:
ahh thanks guys... why would i get something more expenisve? like an Z06 or and STI/Evo... i dunno... the GTI Catches my eyes and my heart... i can feel my fast pumping within me every time i look at one :) no joke thanks

Because dude, you said you wanna street race and beat $40,000 cars. A GTI isn't gonna do it. Not because they are $40k cars but because those cars are faster in a straight line. I can't remember whose signature it is on here but it says something like "Anyone can go fast in a straight line, its going fast in the curves that counts". A car has a certain speed it can do a 1/4 in and will never get faster than that no matter how good a driver you are. The thing about autocross and racing is that a better driver can win with a less powerful car.

If you wanna drag race get a civic, buy a can of coffee, dump out the coffee, glue the empty can to your exhaust so that the stock pipe is visible. Next go to autozone or checker and buy as many APC parts as you can find, especially LED lights. Then install some vinyl stickers that say something like "Honda Power" or "Vtec Inspired" you know the ones. This adds more power than a turbo about 120 hp to be exact. Now, go to a hobby shop and look for some fiberglass from a model airplane kit, glue to your bumper. Pick up some 14'' chrome hubcaps to improve handling. and lastly get a sport compact magazine license plate holder, this makes you invisible to cops.

With all this you should be running low 9 second quarters and pushing about 435 hp, enough to leave any 330is in the dust.

Thom

Ready to race!
I think I would go for the Ford GT, Porsche Carerra GT, or Ferrari instead if of the GTI. They do everything just a little bit better than the GTI...
I only went with the GTI because it was a little cheaper

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
If money is no object, And i dought if thats the case. Then the GTI would for sure not be my choice, and Neither would any of the rice burners. A v-12 BMW what ya ma call-it , or a Corvette, Or one of them CADDY two door jobbys will smoke any of them cars in a street race. I love MSH 216s soulution thou. Some honda kid just like the one he described, asked me the other day how much horse power my gti had. I said about 200 but more important it had 210lbs of tourqe at 1800 rpms. Then he said OH!, and walked to his civic with the can on the tailpipe and the funny door hinges that made it look like a star wars model. I asked him if he wanted to run that thing and he said he was out of NITROUS.. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolferInAction

Ready to race!
i think ive decided to buy the GTI! i like it and its good on my money. Mod it. and go pro. though i have more money... i want the GTI :). Ive never like those american muscle cars... and also BMW is just not what im lookign for.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
If money and practicality were no object I'd still be driving my GTO. But in the real world, in all honestly, other than stoplight racing - the GTI isn't any slower. It handles better and is easier to see out of and I think it even has better brakes. Combine all that together and the car only loses out on a straightaway - but it's rare that you're going to go as fast as the GTO was capable of. I didn't go 120 where I now go 80. If I did, I'd be in jail or I would have run into one of the many complete idiots I still slalom through on a regular basis in the gti these days.

The gti is comparable to an SI or an acura in a straight line. You'll handle as well as any fwd car and in the process, and you'll get 25 or more mpg. I think that the GTI is the performance bargain of the $3/gallon era.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Kirium said:
The GTI isn't really a 1/4mile car... any fool can make a car go fast in a straight line for 400m (IMHO)

The GTI is a real drivers car... Driving it is its own reward. It doesn't need to beat all the other cars you've listed at TLGP to be the brilliant car it is. But that's just my take on the GTI.

well said.

MichaelM

Ready to race!
MHS216 said:
(...)
If you wanna drag race get a civic, buy a can of coffee, dump out the coffee, glue the empty can to your exhaust so that the stock pipe is visible. Next go to autozone or checker and buy as many APC parts as you can find, especially LED lights. Then install some vinyl stickers that say something like "Honda Power" or "Vtec Inspired" you know the ones. This adds more power than a turbo about 120 hp to be exact. Now, go to a hobby shop and look for some fiberglass from a model airplane kit, glue to your bumper. Pick up some 14'' chrome hubcaps to improve handling. and lastly get a sport compact magazine license plate holder, this makes you invisible to cops.

With all this you should be running low 9 second quarters and pushing about 435 hp, enough to leave any 330is in the dust.

Perfect! Perfect! Can't stop............. laughing....!
:bellyroll: :bellyroll: :bellyroll:
:thumbup:

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
i hate to sound rude, but this guy, the original poster, dosent seem like he has any knowledge about cars. like none, and yet the members of this board all go wayy out of their way to show him the logic that follow's his request, and he seems to just blatenly ignore it lol. all i can say is "wow."

i did however get some damn good laffs like from MHS's civic post, *&#^ing hilarious!