GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is it that Mini Cooper Guys can't stand about GTI?

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
LOVE the MCS. Wanted one desperately. Circumstance made me land in a GTI and I love it. Better than the cooper in many ways althought the MINI is brilliant in many ways that cant be compared and holds a special place in my heart. Much more fun to drive for sure. My friend has a nice MCS and he Loves my fast. I havent heard of anyone hating on the GTI. I was pretty active at a mini forum and they never really had negative things to say, maybe about the past gti but it was a boring boat

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
Kirium said:
Who, me??

That's something I love about the GTI. It'll go just as fast as the MCS, but it can be a fast and relaxed cruiser when I want to relax and get where I need to be... :respekt:
Oh it can go much faster.

funny story, my friend was standing outside as two of us (me with a GTI and my other friend with a MINI) and my friend speed off in his mini and chirpped his wheels. then drops to second and..... nothing.

then I took off, chirpped the wheels, dropped into second and spun them again with power and my frined said he just laughed and to quote family guy said to himself "oh bitch! you got jacked bitch!"

good times. My friend in the MINI is afraid to line up against me

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
earthtoandy said:
I was pretty active at a mini forum and they never really had negative things to say, maybe about the past gti but it was a boring boat

Yep... The new GTI threatens them... The MkIV Golf GTI never did because it was awful. Not really deserving of the badge..

The new one tho.... :bow: :respekt:

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
Word to that. My MINI buddy was definitely threatened at first, still is really but the appeal of the car is so much he cant stand but love it. In fact most everyone where I work, which is a MINI hotbed (3 MINIs out of 30 or so, use to be 4) says my GTI is way better than the MINI. :D

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I think it comes down to a little jealousy (the GTI is a great car) and money. If you buy a Mini, you're going to spend a good 5 grand on hype. There is no reason a MCS should top out at 30K or more. I don't want to spend that much on go-kart handling and a cheap interior.

katie

Autocross Champion
The MCS I test drove's interior was bad. The vintage looking vents were loose and the backseats are too small. I don't give ride but just in case I do, I want everyone to be seated comfortably. Plus IMO it looks really plain from the outside.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Mini Cooper S is slower than a GTI stock vs. stock. MCS JCW is as quick as GTI 0-60, but we own them in 1/4 miles. The only thing they can be proud of is handling. They handle better, but a set of nice susp/springs, and a sway bar will take care of them. How do I know? I owned one previously

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
That thread is pretty funny actually. Those MCS guys are no where near as snobby as the BMW 3 series guys.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
Wild Hare said:
Because we have true German engineering and we are CULT not a Club!

:

. . . Now pass the Kool Aid . . . .

I looked long and hard at the mini before buying my 6th Vw. In its favor, the Mini has great, classic exterior styling and handles great. However, it is not a good car for taller drivers, and it definitely lacks in the HP dept., even with a turbo. Plus there was the whole "buy the Mini cuz it's cool" thing that seems to go with the car.

Among Mini drivers that I run across on the street, about half are what I would call auto enthusiasts, and will gladly talk about ANY performance car on the road. The other half aren't into cars at all (so it seems) and seemingly only bought the Mini because it was cool, and it gave them status, looks on the street, whatever. But that might just go with the terrritory, as I live in Marin, where almost everyone is a status wh*re, and there are a TON of Minis. Those people give me the cold shoulder when I attempt to talk about anything other than Their Mini, and how cool they are for buying it . . . as if buying some thing makes you cool . . . .

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
Teknophreak said:
I think it comes down to a little jealousy (the GTI is a great car) and money. If you buy a Mini, you're going to spend a good 5 grand on hype. There is no reason a MCS should top out at 30K or more. I don't want to spend that much on go-kart handling and a cheap interior.
30k or more? Its possible but there is no reason why the car would cost that much. Decked out I had one speced for 25000. About the same as my GTI and with all the same features. Now if you get the JCW, yes it can top 30 but otherwise there is no reason for it to

VDubs

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you guys need to lighten up as much as many are saying the mini guys do. I read the linked mini thread, it just seemed like some lighthearted ribbing. It wasn't like the downright rude and offensive response you would likely get on a honda board. You guys gotta have more of a sense of humor than this! And most of the talk was about the advertising, not the actual car. :confused:

We have some great cars. But the mini's are also really nice. They have their plusses and minuses, both of them. I like the exterior of the mini better than the GTI for sure. It has clean and classic lines to it, which remind me of the design style of the b5 audi A4. But the interior is horrid. I just don't like it. The motor is nothing to write home about. VW did the same thing 15 yrs ago with almost similar results in the G60 corrado. Eh. But, yes there is the awesome go-cart handling. But then you sacrifice daily driveability. In the end I didn't even look at a Mini, I just went straight to the VW dealer.

And truth be told, I would have probably looked at the civic Si if I didn't get a GTI. I need a car that gives me the best blend of everything. I have one essentially track-only car, I don't need another (at least at this point in time).

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Its also a culture difference. I had a mini when I was 17 and livin in the UK (20yrs ago and Mini's main market) and to own a mini then was coz you needed a cheap car to get ye about and it was the biz in the city driven by both students and pensioners alike. Thats changed....to buy an MCS aint cheap yet its still a mini...anyone who drives it loves it but its still a Mini...unless perhaps your new to them and it has no history...then its cool. ...I say tomato...you say tomatoe..

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
VDubs said:
I think you guys need to lighten up as much as many are saying the mini guys do. I read the linked mini thread . . .

But that would take all the fun out of it!!! How can I come up with half baked opinions if I read the linked thread first????:biggrin: