GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Filter Question????

naim amiouni

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone fitted his car with an air filter such as K&N or HKS etc...(performance filters). If yes wats the difference does the cars noise and performance differ??

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Just put in a K and N yesterday, once i read the DIY on how too remove the engine cover. When it says pull hard it means HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(scary).

Its a little louder, not much. seemed to imrove low end tourge if thats possible. Roll on power in top gear seems better too. I just like them because you can use it many times over. Way cheaper than buying new filters all the time. In my opinion the size of the intake tube to the turbo limits your air CFM anyway. Unless you mod the turbo and the Air tube too the turbo all those aftermarket intakes are a waste of money. Your performance is not going to increase enough to make a difference. Sound might , but performance with stay close to the same.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
tydale3 said:
Just put in a K and N yesterday, once i read the DIY on how too remove the engine cover. When it says pull hard it means HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(scary).

Its a little louder, not much. seemed to imrove low end tourge if thats possible. Roll on power in top gear seems better too. I just like them because you can use it many times over. Way cheaper than buying new filters all the time. In my opinion the size of the intake tube to the turbo limits your air CFM anyway. Unless you mod the turbo and the Air tube too the turbo all those aftermarket intakes are a waste of money. Your performance is not going to increase enough to make a difference. Sound might , but performance with stay close to the same.

All around good info and points too!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Scotaku said:
Oooo... there's a K&N out for the GTI?

I'm a long time fan of K&N for the ease of use in what seem to be increasingly complicated airboxes. The Passat was one of the worst.

If you're trading up your bedsheets, keep one of the pillowcases around for cleaning and oiling time. Clean the filter as prescribed and let it air dry. When it comes time to oil, spray the filter down and pop it in the pillowcase. Swing it around over your head (outdoors!) and you'll escape the accidental over-oiling trap. :)

My Transformer's sheets are the skids, should I trade up to Smurfs or Spidey? Can we get a Poll started on this?

:smoking:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Does SpongeBob qualify?

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
hrm...i cant seem to find a K&N filter for the MkV GTI....even K&N website doesnt have it listed....any idea where to find this filter?

i'm also glad to hear k&n put out a filter for the GTI, i looked at their website when i got the car a little over a month ago and they didn't list the GTI. time to go shopping

naim amiouni

Passed Driver's Ed
im just worried that if i fit my gti with an air filter the farting sound while gear changing will decrease or vanish.i really like my car's sound(especially the farting sound).u think itll change that sound???

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
naim amiouni said:
im just worried that if i fit my gti with an air filter the farting sound while gear changing will decrease or vanish.i really like my car's sound(especially the farting sound).u think itll change that sound???

probably not...cuz that sound is the added backpressure from the boost...its all exhaust sound...really nothing to do with the intake

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
those cone filters are only good if u are going to run some sort of piping down into the fender or front of the car to get cooler air

im just looking for a drop in...i guess ill just get the GLI one

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:
those cone filters are only good if u are going to run some sort of piping down into the fender or front of the car to get cooler air

im just looking for a drop in...i guess ill just get the GLI one

if I fabricate a custom pipe that runs down into the fender would this be a good option to use as a filter?