GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs SI... reality sets in

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Just when you thought the Si vs. GTI threads would stop...

Anyway, the post you linked to has nothing to do with torque, so I think you are reading into that a little bit.

Here is the reality:

What that post deals with is a new Si owner who has no idea what he is talking about. Dig back in my post history and you'll see a video I posted where VTEC engages. Believe me, you can hear and feel it very well at the 5800 RPM change over.

EDIT:

Found it:

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0058876

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
any better description for squirtable? :confused:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
"Hey guys, i have a habi red SI and i'm still breakign it in. it has about 500 miles on it and i had a qeustion.

I hit Vtec a couple times and i definately heard teh sound change but never acctually felt a boost, or rush as people have said once hittting vtec. i dont feel a change in speed at all. Is this normal?

I was in 1st and 2nd while hitting it. but never third, is it more noticable in 3rd gear? accelerating slowly, fast?

thanks."

Yes, my day has been made.:thumbup:

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
MHS216 said:
Yes, my day has been made.:thumbup:

Will this un-make your day?

Someone asked if he is even driving the car wide open...

Originally Posted by FujiBlueSi
This may sound stupid but was the pedal floored when you hit VTEC? If it wasn't you will hear it but you won't really feel it. Try it again and it's true, you will feel it more in 3 gear and beyond.

The original poster then replied:

that is definately not stupid, my pedal has never hit the bottom of the floor. i'm still breakign it in and i didn't want to push it. I didn't know you will feel it more when you're acctually flooring it.. I just wanted to give the engine some taste of every rpm range during the first 600 miles. But i was jsut curious because i haven't felt a thing. i havne't experiemented yet w/ the engine as far as flooring it and stuff. but when i did exceed the 6k mark and rev it up to about 7 k, i didn't feel a difference in boost, etc. At least i know how it's done and what ot expect. This thread really cleared things up.

:laugh:

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
Will this un-make your day?

Someone asked if he is even driving the car wide open...

The original poster then replied:

:laugh:

Come on slowride, you don't like seeing these comparisons and neither do I, so I stopped participating in them. But you are rarely here and whenever you are here I can almost predict which thread your post will land in. I don't think you need to keep reminding us that we need to keep a neutral attitude, I think the sensible ones of us are already there.

But on a second note, this IS a VW Golf enthusiast site after all is said and done, so it's not really surprising that members will crack jokes about other makes and models. I don't think I've any less of the same content over in various Honda camps, it's sort of a benefit of being an enthusiast forum member, you can be an idiot and most of the time people won't be too harsh on you.

Last edited:

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
KharatosGTI said:
Thirdly, from a post of yours over at temple of vtec I got the impression that you aren't exactly a fan of this site nor the "morons" here. Now I don't think there's anything wrong with it, you were just over there talking with Honda enthusiasts, but it's probably the same deal over here, you know?

Oh SNAP!

bamafanjtm

Battle Royale Champ
KharatosGTI said:
But on a second note, this IS a VW Golf enthusiast site after all is said and done, so it's not really surprising that members will crack jokes about other makes and models. I don't think I've any less of the same content over in various Honda camps, it's sort of a benefit of being an enthusiast forum member, you can be an idiot and most of the time people won't be too harsh on you.

Thirdly, from a post of yours over at temple of vtec I got the impression that you aren't exactly a fan of this site nor the "morons" here. Now I don't think there's anything wrong with it, you were just over there talking with Honda enthusiasts, but it's probably the same deal over here, you know?
Preach on, Brutha!!

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Slowride said:
Just when you thought the Si vs. GTI threads would stop...

Anyway, the post you linked to has nothing to do with torque, so I think you are reading into that a little bit.

Here is the reality:

What that post deals with is a new Si owner who has no idea what he is talking about. Dig back in my post history and you'll see a video I posted where VTEC engages. Believe me, you can hear and feel it very well at the 5800 RPM change over.

EDIT:

Found it:

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0058876
Thank you...I was trying to say the same thing. Only I own a GTi. No, the Civic does not have the pull of the GTi, but there's a definite noticeable increase in the power and sound when Vtec kicks in. Then again, I'm chipped now and this GTi pulls like a beast. It's true though, I did know this was the thread Slowride would show up in. Didn't you see I was already defending you by calling him an inexperienced driver. You're beating a dead horse, it's a VW site your on.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I will try to clarify why I posted.

The original post caught my eye because I was expecting a magazine comparison. Instead I saw a thread about a kid with a new Si who hasn't even run the car hard enough to properly extract the power, and that was somehow twisted into lack of torque.

That's all.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Look, Slowride didn't use the word "morons", so I want to apologize for that, I'm sorry for saying you used that word when you didn't.

But I have to say that although now that I know you were talking about the 'tex, it still gave off the same kind of impression. I'm just trying to be as honest as possible without trying to cause unnecessary trouble and shit. But reading someone, especially you Slowride, say something like "As soon as they catch wind of this, MotorTrend will be classified as garbage because they didn't get the GTI != GOD memo".

Any one of us car enthusiasts, whether GTI owner or Si owner, will have strong feelings towards the car we are passionate about. I believe you felt the same way about the Autoweek (I think) comparo where they let the GTI win, you picked out faults the editor made and said any shred of credibility of the author is out the window because of those faults. Now should I say that the credibility of Autoweek is out the window only because they didn't get the Si != GOD memo? I don't think so.

Look, what I'm trying to say here is that we are all somewhat biased, it's hard not to be. I support your arguments in being fair because I truly believe as enthusiasts we should be as neutral as possible, but I just wish that you wouldn't dwell too much into people's biased views here. It's unavoidable.

And it's because of that that I really want to be done with this, Slowride you have all the access to this forum why not post something about your Si sometimes? Share stories, be a part of the community. If anyone gives you a hard time JUST BECAUSE you are posting about your Si, I think plenty of members will be firing back in support of you.

I'm not trying to start shit, just want to put it out there if anyone here is feeling that way. But I had the urge to put my thoughts out there because they were bugging me in the back of my head. I'm not BSing, everything I just typed is in all honesty.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Slowride, it's a bit hypocritical to come here and criticize the guys on this forum when you agree with some of the utter BS that gets posted on TOV. A lot of the Honda guys completely (and wrongly) dismiss the importance of torque. And a lot of the VW guys overstate the amount of torque the GTI makes.

We all know that you're sick of hearing about torque. That's fine and understandable. I'm sick of hearing about iVTEC. What a stupid way to make power! Why would anyone want to drive a car that had to be revved past 6000rpm before it moves?? Honda guys act like it's the greatest thing on Earth, but give me a turbo ANY day. And don't say anything about turbo lag, VTEC is like 6000 rpms worth of turbo-lag. Are you picking up what I'm puttting down here?

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
This thread is cycling out of control, I think I might have to step-in and Moderate you guy's..... JUST KIDDING. But for reals SLOWRIDE you should post some pics/stories etc.. about the Si, not just post up defending the car. I know you've never talked ish about the GTI, it would just be nice to hear about the Si in an uplifting manner like Kharatos suggested.

:headbang:

PS: that SI video is pretty cool, looks like fun.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I tried to post things about my Si, and that thread was locked because it turns into flame fests each time.

I think we all know that posting anything Si related here would make little sense anyway. As others have mentioned, there really is no point for me to post here since it is a VW board.

Point taken, and that's about it. Best of luck to you all.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
I tried to post things about my Si, and that thread was locked because it turns into flame fests each time.

I think we all know that posting anything Si related here would make little sense anyway. As others have mentioned, there really is no point for me to post here since it is a VW board.

Point taken, and that's about it. Best of luck to you all.

I enjoyed the threads you made about your Si with pictures. Sorry they turned into flame-wars, I didn't know that.

But I still think there are a lot of other interesting threads that you can post in. :frown: