GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how do you feel about the navigation?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I work at Best Buy also....United Grey GTI...How interesting, LOL. I already have the Garmin 2720 so I opted to go wothout the nav. I also have a indash Kenwood I plan on putting in the GTI, as soon as I find a dash kit for less than $40. Does anyone know what Sats the GTI nav uses? Garmin uses the military Sats which are the best for acurracy. By the way you wont be bale to watch movies going down the road with the Pioneer....it has a gyroscope built into the brain that knows when you are moving.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
You have to pay for the updates after about a month. The Tom Tom uses thier own satalites as apposed to military satalites. That is why I like my Garmin 2720. Military is more accurate. The Tom Tom does have some pretty sweet features though. You can get the Bluetooth with phone book capability in the 700 model or just regular handsfree Bluetooth in the 300 model. Also you can walk around with the Tom Tom because of the battery life and you can download custom voices onto it. It has been a good selling unit here at work.

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
i think that portable is the way to go. Most portable units have better mapping software than ones that have it built into the car.(Unless you pay 3000 for the video head unit with separate nav recever) Best portable unit to get is the Clarion Nice. It has a seven inch screen which makes it easy on the easy, has very good and uptodate mapping software, and great speach engine. I got mine for 800 and it was the best thing I ever got. I think the best feature about it is that you can do 2d and 3d mapping at the sametime. Which is really nice. Also it has a sirius tuner, input for a video source, and 10gb of hard disk to save music and photos. Also if you really want to do the hole keep it in the dash ordeal, i would suggest waiting for the pioneer avic z1 and avic n3. Both will have better mapping software, and a 30 gb hard disk to save music to. Difference between the z1 and the n3 is that the z1 is a double din unit, and the n3 is a motorized flip out unit

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
I got the palm version that uses Tom Tom software for my Palm T/X, but i have not needed it as i have only gone to work. hope to mess with it more soon. it only cost me 200, but i already had the palm (300).

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Nope I am talking about actuall Sat's, not rendering software. According to the Tom Tom info from the company and from the rep they use their own Sat's not military Sat's. Garmin uses military Sat's and Magellan switched over about a year ago. The public GPS units are not as accurate as military or even the ones rally cars use. The rendering software some companies use is not as good as others either.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Little info on the GPS for you guys.
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system made up of a network of 24 satellites placed into orbit by the U.S. Department of Defense. GPS was originally intended for military applications, but in the 1980s, the government made the system available for civilian use. GPS works in any weather conditions, anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day. There are no subscription fees or setup charges to use GPS. Garmin GPS units are acurrate up to 15 meters on average and at their best 3 meters.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
loccusst, what you need to do when getting your double din navi installed after market, just have your installer do a bypass on the switch...did it on my prelude...but they just install a +/- switch between that sensory wire for the car in motion...most only require one switch, the alpines require two, but theres your DVD in motion...let me know if you have more questions, on how to perform the mod

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
Do you drive United Gray too? what department you feature at Best buy?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I am a MECP certified installer/supervisor at Best Buy. I know how to hook up the dvd so you can go down the road and watch it. We can not install it this way do to legal reprocussions. The Pioneer units have a gyroscope in them that overides the unit so you can't watch it going down the road. I plan on installing my Kenwood flip out on Friday and watching it as I test the system going down the road. I purchased the United Grey....what other color is there? LOL

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
haha, yea United Gray was the only color I could see....I do car audio in our store, so I eventually learned how to do all that crap...its in no way legal in VA either, but if you've got the feature, might as well manipulate it a little

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I loved the guy who wanted us to put one in his expedition. We went out to check in his car while the sales guy explained to hm what he was getting. Then he changed his mind when he couldn't go down the road and watch T.V., I guess the installer said he had pizza boxes and other food containers all over his car. The customer had stated he wanted something to do while he was driving down the road since he was a traveling salesman. How about this....drive! That will give you something to do.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
Yea, its probably best to be focused when thats your type of career..haha...but for me a regular fun loving driver...Its just one of those things you can show off to your friends...I can't find myself watching it..the GTI is too much to lose over a drivers error

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I like to just listen to movies though too. like comedies such as office space or space balls. Don't need to watch it, it's just nice having the sound other than music.

icbigotenks

Ready to race!
My question is reguarding the pioneer. Do those have any type of AM/FM integration in them, or is it just straight your music from CD basically. Oh and if you install one of these headunits, do you also have to uninstall the 6-disc changer, or is that located somewhere else? Thanks :D