GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you paying for your GTI?

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
What is "reasonable" profit for a dealership anyway?

Holdback they make no matter what. Is that not enough? Is holdback + 200 "enough"?

My question I guess is at what point, for most dealerships, does it make more sense for them to NOT make a deal?

Cause whatever that is is the price I'm hunting for :D

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Jerome81 said:
What is "reasonable" profit for a dealership anyway?

Holdback they make no matter what. Is that not enough? Is holdback + 200 "enough"?

My question I guess is at what point, for most dealerships, does it make more sense for them to NOT make a deal?

Cause whatever that is is the price I'm hunting for :D

everyone wants to hit that price man, but I think it really depends on where your at, and the car your looking for. If your in a place where theres not alot of VW buyers looking for that car, they'll probably sell you the car at a minimal profit becuase they need to move vehicles. If your looking for a popular color, or package it might be harder to get them to budge. Here in Atlanta you can have a black GTI for a killer price, I wanted United Gray and there wasn't one around with a Sirius Radio for 300 miles, I didn't have as much room to negotiate, but still got a decent deal. If I was cool with black, I would have gotten an unbelievable deal, because VW dealers get bonuses and shit for moving alot of cars.

.//OOOO|DUB

Passed Driver's Ed
What are people in California paying for the MKV GTI ? Either Without Tax or With Taxes&Fees(OTD). I'm thinking about a Package 1 w/ 18" wheels. The price i worked out with the information from this website is around $22,785(invoice) which works about to around $25,000(OTD;with taxes and fees). How does this estimate compare to real life deals people in the area have gotten. Thanks!

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
If anyone is in Pasaden, Ca, I know of a guy willing to give at invoice for the GTI. Now I just need to get my dad convinced I am mature enough to own a new car.
I earn about 1k a month at my job, enough to finance and pay for insurance and gas.

aznkukuboi said:
If anyone is in Pasaden, Ca, I know of a guy willing to give at invoice for the GTI. Now I just need to get my dad convinced I am mature enough to own a new car.
I earn about 1k a month at my job, enough to finance and pay for insurance and gas.

Hey aznkukuboi....Just so happens I'm in Pasadena and getting ready to buy a new GTI. Mind sending me the info? Much appreciated and looking forward to getting my hands on one!

Nimble

Oval Champion
Base 6 spd manual Candy White GTI, no options.

$20,870 invoice +$367 dealer marketing, port fees, etc. =21,237=what I am paying in about 2 hours when i pick the car up. :)

miatamat

Ready to race!
miatamat said:
$23,000 plus ttl, package 2, DSG and 18" rims.

My bad...I paid $24K plus ttl. I just got the car today and found the Gorilla Organizer in the back and Monster mats, nice touch from the dealership and very much unexpected. They even delivered the car to my house which is 36miles from the dealership. Super happy. Autobhan VW in Fort Worth, Texas for those interested and no I am not affiliated in any way.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I think when all is said and done I will be paying $25150 OTD with 3.9% financing/36 months for package 1 with DSG. This is not counting the fact that I am trading my car in which has a trade in value of $7600 and for some reason they are willing to take it for $8000. We'll see what happens.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
MSRP on that is $28,655 (including destination) so they must have had some BS fees tagged onto the sticker. Invoice is $26,419 so you paid ~$1k (~4%)over invoice...not too bad but I think you still had room to negotiate.

FYI - sticker price means nothing. Always work from the dealers cost and figure in a reasonable profit of about 3% and then add destination charges. Invoice is a decent starting point but the dealer's actual cost could be less depending on incentives. So even though you paid 4% over invoice the dealer like made 6-8% profit. They were probably happy.

omghi2kt said:
Sticker was $29,405, I got it down to $27,405.

Tornado Red + DSG + Package 2 +Navi.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
A41.8QTM said:
... So even though you paid 4% over invoice the dealer like made 6-8% profit. They were probably happy.

He's right. As a rule of thumb, after a new car cools down a bit, here's the formula to use:

STEP 1

Published invoice price
+ destination charges
- dealer holdback (usually about 2% of published MSRP)
- current manufacturer/dealer incentives
--------------------------------------
target price point.

So, for example a GTI 6-spd with Pkg 1:
20,240 + 1,252 = 21,492 (invoice)
630 (dest)
- 440 (holdback)
- 0 (no current incentives)
= 21,682 (my asking price)

You now negotiate starting at 21,682. (Even at this price, the dealer ain't losing any money.) Give in only up to $440 (the holdback).

STEP 2

Once you get agreements, you add:
21,682 (your agreed price above)
+ Tax (formula usually depends on the state)
+ License & Registration Fees
= Out the Dealer (OTD) price.

Remember in the last section, they will always try to throw in some official sounding BS fees like "advertising fees" or "decumentation fees". Note, some of these BS fees are actually pre-printed on the financial worksheet that the dealer uses---to make it look official! Don't fall for this crap! Anything that's not officially charged by the state IS NEGOTIABLE. So, make sure ahead of time how the registration fees and taxes are computer in your resident state!

If the dealer won't budge on the BS fees, fight for some extras like 10 free oil changes, extra set of mats or some gas coupons. Remember to get this in writing!

Good luck and enjoy the car.