GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strictly Subies.

LuLzSeC

Ready to race!
Or you have a second car so it can sit while you scrounge up the money to buy a new one or rebuild.

I've considered picking up a WRX but I know I would tune it. With all the horror stories of blown motors and trannies I just can get myself to pull the trigger.

Maybe a better choice would be an evo:fighting0030:

I'm not to fond of the Evo over the STI.
A few reasons given these are not just track only cars but both DD's.
The Evo HVAC is terrible, A/C sucks, heater is weak, fan motor is weak. Gas Mileage is worse on the 2.0 on highway and city in stock form then my built 2.5 gets. Along with the poor mpg's they give the Evo a tiny fuel tank I think its only 12.9 gal vs STI which holds 16.9. So you find yourself filling up quite often.

Evo tranny is hit or miss its kind of like subies with engine problems its something I see all over the place.

To me personally I think its easier to build a solid aftermarket motor then it is to piece together a stronger drivetrain.

Which is the main reason I went with the STI over the WRX.

I have the MR with sst which is kind of like vw's DSG. Its a little quirky, its slow going into reverse, sometimes it shifts a little clunky.

Stock for stock though I will give it to the EVO it does handle better and accelerate faster then my STI did when it was stock.

I have the ability to tune it Cobb just finally released coding to be used on 2012 MR's. I'm just a bit weary of tuning the SST because if it breaks thats going to be a bigger bill then my built motor was for sure.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
I'll give you that. Evo's get really terrible mileage stock, especially the GRS. At 65mph, the rpm's are 3000. At 80, 3800. Buddy has an Evo X GSR and stock, it was getting 18ish driving normally. 20 if he babied it. Now that it has a Cobb intake and test pipe/cat back, it does a little better (still on the stock tune).

But, I know Tyler's stock STI gets mid 20's.

All in all, I don't think that's the primary reason you buy either of these cars. But it is something you have to factor in.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
I'll give you that. Evo's get really terrible mileage stock, especially the GRS. At 65mph, the rpm's are 3000. At 80, 3800. Buddy has an Evo X GSR and stock, it was getting 18ish driving normally. 20 if he babied it. Now that it has a Cobb intake and test pipe/cat back, it does a little better (still on the stock tune).

But, I know Tyler's stock STI gets mid 20's.

All in all, I don't think that's the primary reason you buy either of these cars. But it is something you have to factor in.
This.

When I drive my car nice I can get upwards of 28mpg in sport mode. So maybe 29 in intelligent. That's all highway though, which would be at 80mph. I've dipped into the 35mpg range a couple times on some road trips doing 65mph though. But it doesn't last long. But driving my car hard, which is normally how it goes cause it's fun. I'll get 23mpg which is what I normally average.

But you hit the nail on the head, I didn't buy this car for gas mileage. That was by far the least of my worries.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
Did you get a supercharger yet or what?

Not yet, I probably won't either. I will 100% be ordering a new one when they come out in 2015. I'll probably wait a few months to let them work out the first model year kinks but there won't be much point in sinking the money into this to supercharge it only to have to pull it all off in another 1.5 years. I'll supercharge the next one.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Not yet, I probably won't either. I will 100% be ordering a new one when they come out in 2015. I'll probably wait a few months to let them work out the first model year kinks but there won't be much point in sinking the money into this to supercharge it only to have to pull it all off in another 1.5 years. I'll supercharge the next one.
I don't blame you, do yo know how much the 2015's are gonna be running for price? I probably wouldn't buy one, but just interested.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
I don't blame you, do yo know how much the 2015's are gonna be running for price? I probably wouldn't buy one, but just interested.

They've said at most a 10% increase in price for premium trim levels.

Either way it will be a sub 40k car, with 450ish hp, IRS, RWD and about 400-500 lbs lighter than the current car... should be a beast.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
They've said at most a 10% increase in price for premium trim levels.

Either way it will be a sub 40k car, with 450ish hp, IRS, RWD and about 400-500 lbs lighter than the current car... should be a beast.
Fuuuuh. That's crazy. Are they squeezing that power out of the 5.0 still or going larger?

Sterling

Steel Tip
This.

When I drive my car nice I can get upwards of 28mpg in sport mode. So maybe 29 in intelligent. That's all highway though, which would be at 80mph. I've dipped into the 35mpg range a couple times on some road trips doing 65mph though. But it doesn't last long. But driving my car hard, which is normally how it goes cause it's fun. I'll get 23mpg which is what I normally average.

But you hit the nail on the head, I didn't buy this car for gas mileage. That was by far the least of my worries.

i drive all city. i get 20 mpg. :frown: