Strictly Subies.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
close enough

lol@nearly stock car

gay.

TooPoor

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking at '13 STI's, but all the research I do leads me to believe its not a matter of 'if' the engine will blow, its a matter of 'when'... So a protune will help protect the engine, due to a shitty, lean factory tune, but then it will kill the warranty? What am I missing here? Can someone explain this to me? Is there anything you can do to prevent blowing it up (other than a protune/monitoring oil, etc 24/7)? Or should I start looking at other cars...

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Looking at '13 STI's, but all the research I do leads me to believe its not a matter of 'if' the engine will blow, its a matter of 'when'... So a protune will help protect the engine, due to a shitty, lean factory tune, but then it will kill the warranty? What am I missing here? Can someone explain this to me? Is there anything you can do to prevent blowing it up (other than a protune/monitoring oil, etc 24/7)? Or should I start looking at other cars...
Meh, not all the engines blow. But there is a few thing that help. Meth injection, tune, fuel rails, EL headers. But none of them provide a 100% out for your pistons. With mine I plan to keep it stock until my warranty is up, then start to do what I'd like to the car and see if it blows up or not.

Sterling

Steel Tip

Also. Because of forums it seems like everyone and their moms have blown ringlands. But you've got to remember. It's actually a very small percentage of people.

It basically comes down to detonation. If you can prevent it, you'll be in good shape.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Also. Because of forums it seems like everyone and their moms have blown ringlands. But you've got to remember. It's actually a very small percentage of people.

It basically comes down to detonation. If you can prevent it, you'll be in good shape.
This.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
Even FR-S/BRZ are starting to show some signs of detonation issues on a few cars. Subi life.

The di injector o-ring problem? From what i've read at worst keeping ontop of the o-rings (soon as the exhaust pops?) like you do with cam followers on fsi can prevent.

Was reading that some tunes (visconti ?) also has that corrected for, if its as simple as a tune issue its far less serious than ringlands which happen on stock and tuned ej25 cars.

At the end of the day, 13' sti, ft86rsrz, or any other car, its pay to play. If there are known issues and you want them covered by warranty the only safe way is to not mod. Either that or mod and be ok with and aware that there is a possibility it could come out of your pocket. Just sucks leaving a lot of potential on the table to play it safe on the warranty.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
The di injector o-ring problem? From what i've read at worst keeping ontop of the o-rings (soon as the exhaust pops?) like you do with cam followers on fsi can prevent.

Was reading that some tunes (visconti ?) also has that corrected for, if its as simple as a tune issue its far less serious than ringlands which happen on stock and tuned ej25 cars.

At the end of the day, 13' sti, ft86rsrz, or any other car, its pay to play. If there are known issues and you want them covered by warranty the only safe way is to not mod. Either that or mod and be ok with and aware that there is a possibility it could come out of your pocket. Just sucks leaving a lot of potential on the table to play it safe on the warranty.
It's very true. The amount of potential these cars have are crazy. It sucks to know so much power is left just waiting to be released. But, no point in regretting it if something goes wrong.

LuLzSeC

Ready to race!
It's very true. The amount of potential these cars have are crazy. It sucks to know so much power is left just waiting to be released. But, no point in regretting it if something goes wrong.
Thats basically what I tell my friends if they ask me if they should get Subie. I tell them exactly this. Dont mod it unless you can afford a new motor. Otherwise great all around cars.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Thats basically what I tell my friends if they ask me if they should get Subie. I tell them exactly this. Dont mod it unless you can afford a new motor. Otherwise great all around cars.

Or you have a second car so it can sit while you scrounge up the money to buy a new one or rebuild.

I've considered picking up a WRX but I know I would tune it. With all the horror stories of blown motors and trannies I just can get myself to pull the trigger.

Maybe a better choice would be an evo:fighting0030: