GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Home improvement thread

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I agree. I only run when chased. I'm lazy as phuck. Had a four day weekend ending today and got pretty much nothing accomplished. It feels great!

Anybody know anything about these home design CAD-like tools out there? I wanna play with some floor plans for a small addition, maybe get something that will help me estimate material costs.

oh way that is unimprovement and more work for me..:mad:
I can relate. I just climbed up into my attic (if that's what you can call that little space above the ceiling in a cape. At some point someone decided there wasn't enough insulation up there and rolled out some pink fiberglass roll insulation over the existing stuff shoved between the joists. I'm up there climbing from joist to joist, trying not to pull a Clark Griswold through the ceiling. I reach over and put my hand down on what I thought was just another pile of insulation to be rewarded by a nice 'crack'. Turns out they rolled the insulation right over the vent pipes. I'm pretty sure it was cracked already, but I finished breaking the joint where one of the 1.5" feeds joins the 3" main. Lovely.

It also turns out that my bathroom vents vent directly into the attic. Awesome.

Last edited:

Chris@RT

Banned
Been slow lots of outside projects on the list and well GA is covered with ice and snow so nothing is getting done. Supposed to hit 50s this weekend though, heck even if its 30s it will feel warm so I can get some stuff done.

Fedex says my slide out garbage and recycling bin things out for delivery, hopefully they show up at the office before 5 so those will go in.

have 7 drops in the network wiring to terminate still, have to change wire order in 2 of the ones i reused from previous owner and figure out why only 2 of 8 wires are workng on one of the spare living room drops. Plus may add 2 more drops to my office since i want to put a desktop in there for TV, prefer wired for my laptop when working from home and setup a spare voip phone for work calls also.

this is how the closet looks as of 2 nights ago:

Need to make little risers for the switch so that the wires reach better and I can stop using boxes of ammo :)

I did start raking last weekend, but i wasn't feeling it after 10 mnutes and stopped.

I did find the septic tank and its in a location i may just use one of hte inspection holes for dog poo.. need to check on if that is ok or not.

Probably do lots of free stuff this weekend since I am sick of spending money.

Sourkraut

Ready to race!
I've been spending a lot of time in my attic/loft trying to finish it up. I have all the electrical running, the overhead lights up, closet lights in, internet and TV ran and everything insulated. So this weekend I started to sheetrock.

Dear lord my house is not square at all... I guess thats what you get for a 65yr old 1st home haha. It certainly doesnt look professional but after taping and sanding it'll look great

Edit: obviously not done, haha but I'm beat!

Attachments

• CIMG0061.jpg
    CIMG0061.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 360
  • CIMG0062.jpg
    CIMG0062.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 360

Chris@RT

Banned
nice little attic loft, wish I had something like that. Well I have enough spare rooms I don't need it but rooms like that always have more character.

Looking good.

Killed my abs at the gym friday and could barely move all weekend (and still) so nothing got done..

Chris@RT

Banned
I never want to see another post hole digger again so long as I live.

ugh.. did my fence about 2 months ago I had 8ft sections and was only putting a physical fence across the front portion of my backyard (one side already fenced.. other side is a huge drop off retaining wall back got invisible fence) but with the clay here it was killer oh and the granite... the fkn granite!!!! :mad: 6ft tall so had to go pretty deep to get proper depth also sucked. The holes for the two posts that were part of my pullup bar were so deep the post hole digger handle tops were basically at ground level..

Full 8ft panel as one gate and 3ft gate for everyday use so total of about 11ft to get pretty much any vehicle through if need be. Since my driveway is so steep if i ever need dirt or mulch dropped off they won't be able to safely stop and drop it at the top and will need to be able to get right into the backyard. Plus there is a parking pad back there so room for all my toys :)

red is approximate solid fence location and pink is invisible fence.

also finally got the little waterfall built and some fish in the whiskey barrel pond

sliding garbage/recycling cans in.. dogs have figured out how to slide these out though so I need to install baby catches on them like I did with the doors under the sink since we thougth they were opening that and pushing them out.. no they are pulling them open now!

Built a new server, it runs cooler than the old one but the room was still too hot, so put more shelves in finally got the printer setup on the network, made room for a monitor and a keyboard stand. This also gets the ups off the ground. With the house set to 78-80 all the time this room is 90-92 degrees average NOT good! Luckily there was a AC return right over it so I put on a louvered door (not pictured) and added a return vent to the ceiling. Have a 4" duct booster that I'll hook up to a thermostat to pull air through when the AC is not on to at least circulate air.

driveway being about 300ft long I hate taking out the recyling every week so we have 4 bins, made this little stand that fits between the garage doors holds 4 bins and the side part holds a stack of cardboard, when that is full you can just slide it halfway out and tie it up making a perfect size bundle.. it was windy so I ran out of primer when this pic was taken.

And then of course after all this work you need a place to rest..

I've got directions to make Adirondack chairs out of used pallets just need to get some pallets will make those to go on the opposite side of the porch next to the little pond.

Not pictured I have also:

-Cleared most of the overgrowth in the back as part of getting the invisible fence in
-primered/sealed and painted living/dining room floors, still just the subfloor since we cannot decide on what we want for style/color wood floors actually looks pretty decent.
-wired more network drops, still have more to finish terminating
-swapped out antenna in attic since 300-75 ohm adapter broke not getting local NBC at all (pissed) probably going to get the biggest f'n one I can to put on a mast outside..
-sealed all my roof vents
-sealed redid some flashing on the roof and lower siding areas.
-removed footings from deck that was not there when I moved in.
-seeded back and middle yards (front is fine)
-10,000 other things I can't recall.