GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Home improvement thread

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I have no AC, don't want it. It's in the 80's in my house right now. Last night it was probably in the 90's in my bedroom. :)wink:) I just sweat it out.

Saw those thermostats on display at Lowes. Gimicky, IMO. Programmable thermostats can be had at the box stores for <$50 and do the job.

I think I saw a slight savings going from the old mechanical thermostats to the digital programmables. But it is so hard to compare as outside temps change everything. I only took 2 fuel deliveries this winter, which is fucking amazing for me and this house. I think we had 4 one year.

The biggest thing is being able to tap a button and have it go into 'away' mode dropping the house to 58. Then come home and tap the button again and be back on the normal cycle.

utekineir

Banned
The biggest thing is being able to tap a button and have it go into 'away' mode dropping the house to 58. Then come home and tap the button again and be back on the normal cycle.

Thing is $250 is a bit steep just to tap a button instead of turning the thermostat down at night and when gone. Maybe if it's running central air and could be benefited from year around I'd dabble. There's also the argument that staying at a constant moderate temperature uses less energy than dipping low and heating when you wake up/get home. Though I'd guess that is highly dependent on insulation and other factors.

Speaking of which the new house has some ducting intact from an old hot air furnace that has since been converted to 3 zone forced hot water ( basement workshop, laundry room and 2 zones upstairs far as I can tell. Though 2 of the thermostat leads seem to go to the living room which is fucking retarded. Let alone the 30 feet of register and 30 of 3/4 copper tubing going along the outside of the workshop. Melon scratcher unless it was a grow room. Even more so that it wasn't yanked after a year and half of abandonment.

The ducting and the thought of central air for first time along with household air filtration is making me wish I took hvac while getting oil license and gas tech cert. May set it up just for the air filtering.

A1an

Hellafunctional
When we first went with the 78 degree rule I absolutely HATED it. Took a few months but it eventually grew on me.

The other day I was thinking about kicking it up to 79 or 80. It gets so hot/humid outside in the summer so that temp range is pretty comfortable when you are hanging out inside. Plus a ceiling fan when in the room helps out.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Thing is $250 is a bit steep just to tap a button instead of turning the thermostat down at night and when gone.
Right. That's why I like the < $50 programmables instead of these gimicky 'smart' ones.

And I lied. Last night I lugged out the window AC unit and hooked it up. Half a roll of blue tape later and it is relatively decently sealed in the bedroom window.

Central air and a filter would be nice. But it ain't happenin' on this guys budget.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
Just get that nasty ass L copper out of there...And I can see the tits on the solder job from here. You'll have to excuse me, the son of a Union Plumber...

utekineir

Banned
To be fair my soldering isn't leagues better, never trust in the whole capillary drawing in thing. Tracked down 2 of 3 zones of heat to be in
The basement and 2 thermostats in the living room, one of which was for a basement zone.....

This rooms shaping up decent. Finally over the pneumonia, but loaded with other work away from the house.

[/url] photo by utekineir, on Flickr[/IMG]

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
Love the floor, I'm such a sucker for dark hard wood flooring. All mine is the original oak (over 60 years old) Only been refinished once (like 5 years ago) and had it done natural again.

utekineir

Banned
Love the floor, I'm such a sucker for dark hard wood flooring. All mine is the original oak (over 60 years old) Only been refinished once (like 5 years ago) and had it done natural again.

Thanks it's actually a laminate I'm it putting down through the whole place have 130ish cartons got on a great clearance, very nice stuff for the price ($.90 sq ft roughly), thick, durable, grain texture and attached pad. Few rooms are done so far. 2 maybe 3 entry's and bathroom will be tile other than that rest will be the laminate.

Love me some thick dark wood.

A1an

Hellafunctional
Had to share since I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. My wife was sick of the 90s pink bathroom counter/cabinet in our master bath. We aren't ready for a full gut job just yet but wanted to do a face lift to keep her going for the next 5-10 years.

The entire thing was done for under $500. The sink and faucet took up about $300 of that budget :shocking: .

Before:

After: