GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Home improvement thread

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
..the post hole digger handle tops were basically at ground level..
Same. Our soil is pretty soft, mostly sand. Which is good and bad. Good because it is relatively easy digging. Bad because its a bitch to get out of the hole with a post hole digger. When you got near the bottom of the hole (and most tired) the shit would just fall right out of the digger as you tried to bring it up. Ended up having to make some of the holes extra wide just to be able to close the digger all the way and keep the dirt in the damned thing. Then invariably I'd get a load of dirt 3/4 of the way out of the hole and it would all fall out back into the hole.

Never doing that again.

Truth told, we should have just done the invisible fence thing. Missus doesn't like that though.

Chris@RT

Banned
Same. Our soil is pretty soft, mostly sand. Which is good and bad. Good because it is relatively easy digging. Bad because its a bitch to get out of the hole with a post hole digger. When you got near the bottom of the hole (and most tired) the shit would just fall right out of the digger as you tried to bring it up. Ended up having to make some of the holes extra wide just to be able to close the digger all the way and keep the dirt in the damned thing. Then invariably I'd get a load of dirt 3/4 of the way out of the hole and it would all fall out back into the hole.

Never doing that again.

Truth told, we should have just done the invisible fence thing. Missus doesn't like that though.

had the 100% opposite problem the clay was so sticky that I had to bang it on the ground everytime to get it out of the digger.. sucked.

The invisible fence actually was more work almost all my yard is surrounded by vines and roots. About 400ft we had to clear out poison ivy and other growth just to get to the ground. Then we had to use a hatchet to cut the vines and roots on and in the ground.. then go back and dig the hole and bury the wire. But that was just my sucky yard if you did the invisible where you did the hard fence it would have been much easier then the posts.

GF is also against the fence sort of, her lab is too old doesn't need it, her pit is a complete pussy and once we ever put a collar on her she'll never go out side... the hard fence keeps them in the back yard we only have to deal with my lab and her pit booking up the back hill once a week they come back in a few minutes. need to get the rest of the collars and train them once I get back from vacation. Luckly my pit won't run up the hill since she is the only one that is a pain to get back if she gets out, I've followed her around the neighborhood 5ft behind her for a half hour.

utekineir

Banned
Yessir. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Price seems way too good for what's mostly amounting to cosmetics.

Been doing a lot of supply gathering an boring stuff like painting this week.

Did do this today though. Old small bedroom to become walk in closet. Not sure I dare knocking out the old wall without digging deeper. Roof has ridiculous tresses though so it may be safe.

[/url] photo by utekineir, on Flickr[/IMG]

DeathB4Dishonr

Lasers go Pew Pew

http://www.nest.com/

has anyone heard of this thing before? its supposedly a smart/green thermostat that learns your patterns and will automatically adjust the temperature in the house after a week long learning period. more info about it on their site i linked.

also, has phone apps so you can manually adjust the temp while away from the house.

utekineir

Banned
Have looked into that. For $250 I don't see any real advantage
over tending the thermostat unless you have a number of people screwing with it and need a way to monitor the setting.

I've been using one of the bob villa slinged heaters for a couple years now in the lower zone of the house circulated by a ceiling fan with the thermostat for that zone at minimum. Electric bill is up 50-75 a month When in use but been saving a good tank of oil a winter though. At $3.50+ a gallon for oil it works out.

A1an

Hellafunctional
I don't see the advantage to the either. In our old townhome we purchased a programmable thermostat where you could set it at specific temps during the day. We found it saved no more money than if we just set it at 78 all day. So in our new house we do have a more modern digital unit but we went with the bare bones non programmable one that was much cheaper.

Great thread. This weekend I start working on a minor update for our master bath. Will try to take photos.

DeathB4Dishonr

Lasers go Pew Pew
True, you can achieve the same thing with a programmable unit, but this thing is supposed to have some power saving features programmed into it. They talked about it on the webby.

P.S. Technically not a home owner yet, but my first house should be built by the end of Sept or Oct.

A1an

Hellafunctional
In our situation it took more energy to cool the house down from 82 when we weren't home to 78 when we are home than if we just kept it at a constant 78 all day.

The best power saving you can do is to make sure all your equipment is working properly. When we first moved in we had the original 1984 unit. It was constantly on trying to keep the house at 78. It also kept blowing some small electrical part so we eventually just replaced it with a new more efficient unit. That swap alone saved us $40-50 a month on our electric bill. The new unit has already paid for itself.

DeathB4Dishonr

Lasers go Pew Pew
In our situation it took more energy to cool the house down from 82 when we weren't home to 78 when we are home than if we just kept it at a constant 78 all day.

The best power saving you can do is to make sure all your equipment is working properly. When we first moved in we had the original 1984 unit. It was constantly on trying to keep the house at 78. It also kept blowing some small electrical part so we eventually just replaced it with a new more efficient unit. That swap alone saved us $40-50 a month on our electric bill. The new unit has already paid for itself.

I would die if my place was at 78 all the time... I feel like I'm dying when it gets to 72, haha.

utekineir

Banned
Run a ceiling fan in the proper direction for the season (low in winter) to accompany your heating / cooling. It's pretty effective.