GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What broke on your 2.5 since you own it?

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
You guys realize that compared to a GTI that this is a "cake walk". I may have missed it but besides Rickybobbi's MAP Sensor issue, can't recall any mention of any Error Codes in any of the post so far.

Our 2.5's are built like tanks...slow but solid HA!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Our 2.5's are built like tanks...slow but solid HA!
Yes and no, it's what you make it.

There was a thread over on Vortex where people posted there 1/4 mile time slips and the 2.5 in MK5 or early MK6 trim weren't far off.... .

FYI Looking at the 2.5 Profiles that were posted, there are a couple of cars that I believe have the potential and right mods/tranny combination to be in the low 6 sec 0-60 and 14 sec 1/4 mile, if only they would get rid of their "boat anchor wheels". While the numbers aren't super car numbers, not many GTIs fair much better.

Just saying

Last edited:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
When I bought my Golf I was 85% content. Part of me wanted the GTI, but couldn’t justify the price premium. I became a bit of a 2.5 apologist saying it’s not bad for what it is. Now, after 7 problem free years and 3 years without a car payment, I love this car more than when I bought it. A few small mods and upgrades have perked it up and I’m booked at K&H in Scarborough next week for a UM stage 1 tune( will post)

Like Mark said: I went from an 18x8 OEM Thunder rim (28-30lb) to a 17x 7.5 OEM Goal(22lb) and it felt like adding 20hp and having a BBK. That rolling mass is horrendous.

I don’t track or care about performance metrics too much. I just like to drive and enjoy a car that’s dynamically capable. Having said that, I am the type of person that likes to upgrade parts when appropriate, and stay ahead of maintenance. At the rate I drive I’ll be at 200k at the 10 year mark with this car. The value/cost/fun/dependability quotient is ridiculously great.

Last edited:

brutaledge_

I've been pretty lucky but I also have very few miles on the car for its age. I just hit 24,000 miles.

Since purchased new in 2012, the following has broke:

Nothing

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I've been pretty lucky but I also have very few miles on the car for its age. I just hit 24,000 miles.

Since purchased new in 2012, the following has broke:

Nothing
To me the 2.5 is the perfect Run About, BUT it's my Son's.

Are you interested in selling your Golf?

brutaledge_

To me the 2.5 is the perfect Run About, BUT it's my Son's.

Are you interested in selling your Golf?

Nope. I figure at this pace, it might be the 2nd to last car I'd have to buy for the rest of my life. Perhaps a bit of an overestimation and not accounting for what could happen if I were to be in an accident but its a great little car and I have no plans to sell.

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
Car was problem free through the first 120k-ish:

Discovered oil on coils at 120kmwhen replacing plugs and coils - did the valve cover gasket.

Exhaust sleeve around this time as well.

Blower motor around 130Km - sounded like a banshee for about 30 seconds on start-up in the winter for about two years though.

Did the MLue approved PVC replacement before any issues occurred.

Brakes have been done twice. Just did the e-brake spring.

Other than that tip-top over 140K with oil every 6-7k and an alignment every year and after new rubber.

Feels like my endlinks are close and likely doing a full suspension overhaul this fall. Haven't had to do a wheel bearing yet.

Rear ended and had the trunk and bumper replaced. All cosmetic aside from the whiplash.

Oh ya....drivers window is slightly out of the guides after this winter(like a clip broke close to the B pillar). There's a slight rattle when the window is partially down. Widnow is still perfectly aligned. Bit of a pain to fix when I realised that you have to take the door skin off.
Brakes only twice? That's really good. I bought my car with 87k and 33k kms later it needs new pads and rotors :S. I don't know what's up with that. The dealer installed new pads after I bought it.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
That sucks! I park mine every winter just for that reason. I buy $200 dollar beaters before the snow comes then sell them in the spring haha repairs for the smallest ding on a VW starts at $400 I've found
Ok. You've had some bad luck. If it makes you feel any better I slid into a curb in the snow/ice. I turned the wheel and car kept going straight. Took it to the dealer thinking I just bent a tie rod and $9000 and 7weeks later I got my car back. They replaced everything on the drivers side of the car. Insurance paid for it but personally I think they got scammed.

Edit: Actually that was my TDI but since so much of it still exists in my 2.5 and they are cosmetically identical I consider them the same car.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Yeah Im at about 130 now. Probably going with a 2018/2017 R after winter. Or maybe a WRX/STI.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
....Probably going with a 2018/2017 R after winter. Or maybe a WRX/STI.
:lol:I hear ya, I have been in the same boat as you but a couple of decades ago. Along the way, I've learnt that you need a great Run About like the Golf that is like a Golden Reteiver (Loyal, reasonable and reliable) and you can have a fun car that you can show off a bit.

BUT you know when they both break down, I fix the Golden Reteiver first as it is my go to bread and butter, look after the family first.

Just saying.