GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof relief!

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
So you have to drive there. You don't work? Taking off work? Then what...wait for them to do it or get a loaner? Then bring back loaner? What a hassle. Drive to Hobby Lobby and get some velcro strips, adhere soft side inside sunroof. Done.
LOL for sure! I drop off at 7 a.m. and then they shuttle me to work and pick me up when it's done. But I will stop at a hobby lobby tonight as one is on the way home, pick up the velcro strips and give it a try. Place them along the back and then in the center tray too right?

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Dropped it off this morning and they said there is actually a tsb for the rattling sunroof. Amazes me that even on the 2019's there's still a tsb. Parts are being ordered and job will be completed on Monday. Shuttle is coming to pick me up now so I'll report back with what the parts are actually.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Dropped it off this morning and they said there is actually a tsb for the rattling sunroof. Amazes me that even on the 2019's there's still a tsb. Parts are being ordered and job will be completed on Monday. Shuttle is coming to pick me up now so I'll report back with what the parts are actually.

So apparently there is a thin layered film that they adhere to the back part of the sunroof. This should help alleviate the rattle somewhat he said but they can't guarantee 100% relief but it should help some. I'm guessing that since mine is on the barely noticeable end that it should help pretty good. Also explained to me that they recently had a VW Engineer and the Sunroof Engineer working together to try to figure out a solution. At this point there isn't anything 100% but they are working on it at a corporate level and are recognizing there is a problem. Oh and the sunroofs are made and based out of Arizona. Sunroofs are not VW (German) so that explains the quirkiness.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Oh and the sunroofs are made and based out of Arizona. Sunroofs are not VW (German) so that explains the quirkiness.

What possible evidence do you have that the sunroof being made by people in AZ, to VW's own design specifications to fit in their cars, explains the "quirkiness"?

It's a shit design that has all sorts of flaws IMO. My inlaws 2017 Golf has leaked 4 major times and countless lesser times requiring extensive repairs each time. My wife's had had every creak and rattle problem known and has peeling along the front edge on the black roof area just in front of the sunroof like many others do.

It's absurd and a substandard part design. Ask Alltrack and Tiguan owners about VW sunroofs too. They don't make a good one.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
What possible evidence do you have that the sunroof being made by people in AZ, to VW's own design specifications to fit in their cars, explains the "quirkiness"?

It's a shit design that has all sorts of flaws IMO. My inlaws 2017 Golf has leaked 4 major times and countless lesser times requiring extensive repairs each time. My wife's had had every creak and rattle problem known and has peeling along the front edge on the black roof area just in front of the sunroof like many others do.

It's absurd and a substandard part design. Ask Alltrack and Tiguan owners about VW sunroofs too. They don't make a good one.
I agree I hate the sunroofs. Unreal pieces of sh****! Wonder if we could replace with a better aftermarket sunroof?

442GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Have my 2018 Autobahn for just under a year. Sunroof has been squeaking the whole time. Dealer tried to fix it, to no avail. They told me they can fix it for good, but it requires removing the whole sunroof, roof liner, and a lot of other parts. He recommended against it as who knows what other problems will arise. I agreed. At first it annoyed the heck out of me. Now I barely notice it because I stopped letting it bother me. If it does bother me for some reason (bad mood), I crack it open and noise is gone. For my car, the noise is pronounced when the sun is out beating on the car. It doesn't matter if it is 20 degrees out or 95, the heat from the sun is what causes the different materials to expand at different rates, thus creating the rubbing noise. On cloudy days it never makes noise. When you have steel, plastic, rubber, and glue holding it all together, all these materials expand and contract at different rates. Difficult to be noise free. My sister has had two different jeeps, both with larger sunroofs, both were noisy.

I intend try the velcro strips to see if that works, but it just hasn't bothered me that much lately (even though ti is there).

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Have my 2018 Autobahn for just under a year. Sunroof has been squeaking the whole time. Dealer tried to fix it, to no avail. They told me they can fix it for good, but it requires removing the whole sunroof, roof liner, and a lot of other parts. He recommended against it as who knows what other problems will arise. I agreed. At first it annoyed the heck out of me. Now I barely notice it because I stopped letting it bother me. If it does bother me for some reason (bad mood), I crack it open and noise is gone. For my car, the noise is pronounced when the sun is out beating on the car. It doesn't matter if it is 20 degrees out or 95, the heat from the sun is what causes the different materials to expand at different rates, thus creating the rubbing noise. On cloudy days it never makes noise. When you have steel, plastic, rubber, and glue holding it all together, all these materials expand and contract at different rates. Difficult to be noise free. My sister has had two different jeeps, both with larger sunroofs, both were noisy.

I intend to try the velcro strips to see if that works, but it just hasn't bothered me that much lately (even though ti is there).
Yes it’s been colder and cloudy here in Detroit area Michigan and the rattle is significantly less for sure. I’ll see if the tsb adhesive stuff works on Monday. If not I’ll try the fuzzy Velcro. The mechanic even said he’d be willing to help me put the strips on too. This dealership today was really impressive to me. Was straight up honest genuine and I really appreciated it. You could tell they took care with my GTI and really want to fix it.

LlF

Passed Driver's Ed
why havent i checked these forum more often. oh my brothers and sisters, i wanna hug you all and cry.?

i kinda did something similar i used thick double sided tape, i just didnt peel off the other side. but i want to ask, what's the point to sticking down to the valley? the pressure point must be at the "peak"?

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Shit if I know. It works so didn't care to figure out why.

So Ronnie, did the dealer's fix work?
Yes sir! Sorry for not posting the update yesterday. I’ve been driving around with the radio off trying to hear any kind of rattling from the sunroof. Man I swear it’s silent!!!! All he did was stick an adhesive tape on the back part of the glass and also down into the back part of the Rear groove where it fits into. he said it was 3 pieces he had to apply. I’m not allowed to open it for 48 hours so it sets in properly. I’ll take pics in the next few days and show you what it looks like once it’s dried and set. Very happy with it. Hopefully it stays silent. Lol! Now that I’m listening to radio again I notice a vibrating coming either from the passenger door fender speaker or just the door itself rattling from the bass of the speaker. I don’t mind the door rattling from Music I just hope my speaker isn’t blown. Only ever have it up half way cuz that’s plenty loud as these fender speakers are sweet.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Awesome.

Cut the bass down.

Bass -2 or -3
midbass -2 or -1
treble +1

move fader 2 notches to rear

set sub to whatever sounds best, let it do the heavy lifting.

Thank you so much! I’ll adjust my speakers to your suggestion tonight after work. Love all the help from everyone on this forum. You guys are geniuses!

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Yes sir! Sorry for not posting the update yesterday. I’ve been driving around with the radio off trying to hear any kind of rattling from the sunroof. Man I swear it’s silent!!!! All he did was stick an adhesive tape on the back part of the glass and also down into the back part of the Rear groove where it fits into. he said it was 3 pieces he had to apply. I’m not allowed to open it for 48 hours so it sets in properly. I’ll take pics in the next few days and show you what it looks like once it’s dried and set. Very happy with it. Hopefully it stays silent. Lol! Now that I’m listening to radio again I notice a vibrating coming either from the passenger door fender speaker or just the door itself rattling from the bass of the speaker. I don’t mind the door rattling from Music I just hope my speaker isn’t blown. Only ever have it up half way cuz that’s plenty loud as these fender speakers are sweet.

Sounds like VW has taken to the golfMK7 forums fix. Look forward to your pictures