GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof relief!

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for the lack of pics...I've been in NYC and Tokyo on business. The 6 1inch by 1inch felt pieces from a Rite Aid velcro kit work fine and I have had no follow up squeaks. I just put them in the dip and sprwad the, out evenly. I did not measure, but liberally placed and spaced. I literally was gonna sell the car the squeaking was so annoying. I'LL POST next week when I return.

chadio

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for the lack of pics...I've been in NYC and Tokyo on business. The 6 1inch by 1inch felt pieces from a Rite Aid velcro kit work fine and I have had no follow up squeaks. I just put them in the dip and sprwad the, out evenly. I did not measure, but liberally placed and spaced. I literally was gonna sell the car the squeaking was so annoying. I'LL POST next week when I return.

Sounds good to me. I would say like I stated above, most of the sounds are gone, just was curious if I didn’t put any felt somewhere that you did.
Thanks, and safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codypka

Go Kart Champion
I am going to try this fix tonight or maybe this weekend. My sunroof had previously only been an issue on hot days. The sound more or less went away when fall came around, but has come back with a vengeance lately as our temps in the Philly area have plummeted lately. I really don't want to take it back to the dealer again for another temporary "fix", but much like the OP this rattling is completely ruining this car for me. To the point I don't even enjoy the many great things about it.

I will report back

sectachrome

Passed Driver's Ed
The velcro strips fixed it for me. I tried a few different things including lubing different areas and only the velcro strips in the "channel" made it go away. I had to do it twice as the first time I didn't put them in quite the right place. It was horrible though, I hope it never comes back.

IndGTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Could you post your pictures please. I saw the video but I want to confirm I have the right locations since this setup works for you. Thanks again!

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
If your sunroof seals are dry you might hear it squeaking too.
I used the Gummi Pflege Stift in the summertime on my seals and that helped a lot, no more squeaks there.

nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz
Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548289321&sr=8-1&keywords=gummi+pflege+stift

Also I like the idea with the feld pads shown in the video. I will also sick some black fuzzy tape on mine and see what it does. Thanks so much for the video!

Tesa Black Fuzzy Fleece Interior Wire Loom Harness Tape for VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW 19 mm X 15 Meters (5 Rolls)
Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Fleece-Interior-Harness-Mercedes/dp/B017OECD7W/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_rp_0_6/145-1018165-9560155?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017OECD7W&pd_rd_r=6d21d9ce-2742-4a36-ae56-bb1f2f020f5e&pd_rd_w=X0Bxr&pd_rd_wg=14Fe6&pf_rd_p=2f64e549-0497-4586-8c63-7905e90fd6a2&pf_rd_r=3G8GH204N268274W7YEC&psc=1&refRID=3G8GH204N268274W7YEC

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Is mine the only sunroof that doesn't rattle? My sunroof mesh visor piece does occasionally, but the solution for that is just leave it pulled back, which is what I do.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Pic

1548309873721_20190123_211102_resized_1.jpg

Excuse the crude placement and the late night crappy pic. I basically got Velcro from a CVS and placed the soft side stickers sporadically. This was my 2nd attempt, as my first placements with less and more organized patterns did nothing. This frustrated random 2nd placement of the 1x1 squares to my utter surprise worked perfectly and hasn't made a squeak for weeks in lots of driving in cold and warm climates. Don't know how long it will last, but I was so frustrated I was going to sell the car prior out of disappointment Nd not wanting to go to dealer to keep getting fixed. The squeaking was driving me nuts. GOOD luck to others,

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Is mine the only sunroof that doesn't rattle? My sunroof mesh visor piece does occasionally, but the solution for that is just leave it pulled back, which is what I do.

Heard mine knock a little bit once (for the first and ony time), maybe a year ago.
Retreated the seals and haven't heard a sound from it again.
Early build 2015 GTI with 28,000 miles.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
What did you treat them with?

303 Protectant is what silenced the knock at the time.

I've recently used Gummifledge just for routine maintenance.

442GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
This is a Service Bulletin for VW. Just take it to the dealer, two hours later it is fixed. They add felt pads as noted above. They did mine, so far so good.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
I am going to try this fix tonight or maybe this weekend. My sunroof had previously only been an issue on hot days. The sound more or less went away when fall came around, but has come back with a vengeance lately as our temps in the Philly area have plummeted lately. I really don't want to take it back to the dealer again for another temporary "fix", but much like the OP this rattling is completely ruining this car for me. To the point I don't even enjoy the many great things about it.

I will report back

So far so good, going on 5 days now.