GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

V2.0.x Software now available for the MK7 GTI / A3 Platform 2.0T

The Fat and the Furriness

Passed Driver's Ed
With traction control deactivated, I would spin the tires significantly in 1st and 2nd with the [AWD] file if I fully mashed the pedal. Like the APR description mentions, the initial 0-60% of the pedal is much like stock, which makes it smoother to drive. Over 60% in the taller gears is difficult to manage tire spin for me. It is still much better/usable than V1, but there is still a bit too much torque being wasted unless you have really good traction or have more experience than I do managing throttle input at launch. I only have a little over 5000 miles on the car after the first year and started tuning at 3000.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
With traction control deactivated, I would spin the tires significantly in 1st and 2nd with the [AWD] file if I fully mashed the pedal. Like the APR description mentions, the initial 0-60% of the pedal is much like stock, which makes it smoother to drive. Over 60% in the taller gears is difficult to manage tire spin for me. It is still much better/usable than V1, but there is still a bit too much torque being wasted unless you have really good traction or have more experience than I do managing throttle input at launch. I only have a little over 5000 miles on the car after the first year and started tuning at 3000.

it's all in the right foot with some engine/tranny/dog bone mounts and sticky tires ;)

I am however, not a fan of removing starting vibrations unless I was a dragster.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
with the FWD file, you don't need to worry about "the right foot."

I hear you, but on a road course with sticky tires, you wouldn't have to worry a lot either.

If it's limited in the electronics, then there is no way to harness all the power that you could possibly have had.

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Hi!
I am interested in using APR STG2 on my GTI 7.5 2019 Row.

Is this map with reverse start stop available for it? do i have pops and bangs?

Is the wheel spin avoidance feature available for this ECU?

What is the peak boost being used on high torque maps?

Thanks

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Finally going to get my APR Plus tune updated to version 2 on Friday. While I'm in there, I might also have them enable the variable launch control rpm points on my DSG tune (it's just set for 3k currently). Are the variable launch points worth having? Was thinking of having them set it for 4k/3.5k/3k.

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally going to get my APR Plus tune updated to version 2 on Friday. While I'm in there, I might also have them enable the variable launch control rpm points on my DSG tune (it's just set for 3k currently). Are the variable launch points worth having? Was thinking of having them set it for 4k/3.5k/3k.

Late to the party, but I would recommend the 3500 LC option to use 3.5K/3.25K/3K. 4K is just too much for this car with the ECU tunes. 3K is probably optimal without drag slicks, but with the 3500 option, you can bump it up a little. There is no reason to be locked at only 3K, so go with 3500 option to have 3 additional choices without going nuts and catching rubber on fire.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Late to the party, but I would recommend the 3500 LC option to use 3.5K/3.25K/3K. 4K is just too much for this car with the ECU tunes. 3K is probably optimal without drag slicks, but with the 3500 option, you can bump it up a little. There is no reason to be locked at only 3K, so go with 3500 option to have 3 additional choices without going nuts and catching rubber on fire.

Ah - just a tad late as I got it tuned this morn and went with the 4/3.5/3 option!

And having just done two quick dragy runs on my way home, I'd say you were probably on the money as I notice that 4k launch does light them up. Still, got to work with what I've got for now....this is one of those times where I'd say wouldn't a flash from home option be nice ;)

So first impressions on the v2 APR Plus tune - I like it. As others have commented, in general driving it does seem much smoother and refined than the older version. I'm guessing a lot of this has to do with the revised throttle mapping - it now does not 'surge' like it used to sometimes in part throttle situations. It really now does have a very OEM+ feel about it. Not that the old tune was bad, but there is a distinct difference.

A very good thing I noticed is that the in dash boost gauge is now fixed as Arin had said. Before, it would cap out at 36.2, so you never really knew how much you were boosting. I have now seen that figure jump to 40.3 or so, so subtract my sea level 14.7 and it seems peak boost (here on an 88 degree warm day in Florida) is between 25-26 psi.

Butt Dyno said power is still all here as it was before, although you have to push a bit further on the throttle now due to the revised mapping, but my foot will recalibrate. It's better, as before I think you were probably getting 100 percent throttle at 3/4s pressed down.

The two dragy runs I did however say it's lost a little.....although I will hold judgement on that for a couple of reasons, first being that they were fairly hasty and not on my normal deserted roads I drive to, second that I think I need to play some more with launches etc and third, my last good runs were in February when it was a bit cooler.

Best 0-60 I managed today was 5.80 (previous I had managed a 5.43 and 5.6 regularly). Best quarter mile today was 14.05 at 101.5ish (previously I'd done a 13.7 at 104. Half mile today was 22.5 at 120, previous best was 21.5 at 124.5.

As mentioned, I'm not done with it yet so won't call those figures final, although to be honest I was expecting a drop vs the other way round based on a couple of horsepower less and 15ft lb of torque less on the new tune.

All times done on 93 gas. I will he interested to see how it does on the 87 it is now tuned for (previous version was tuned for 91). Once I get happy as can be with a few more 93 runs (maybe during the morning when it's cooler), I will run that tank down and fill up with 87.

But all in all, times aside - the car feels nicer to drive without any unpredictability. Again, not that the old tune was bad, but it did feel more 'tuny' if that makes sense, whereas this is now more refined.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
nice info, thanks for sharing. If you're tuned for 87, there's a 30hp difference between that and 91. I'd be interested to see how that would have compared, actual apples to apples, I'd be it'd be a lot closer.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
nice info, thanks for sharing. If you're tuned for 87, there's a 30hp difference between that and 91. I'd be interested to see how that would have compared, actual apples to apples, I'd be it'd be a lot closer.

Yep that's right - I'm on APR Plus though so stuck with the low torque 87 now (unless of course one day I just decide 'the hell with the warranty' and get them to flash a regular non-plus 91 or 93 oct stage 1 :).

The old APR Plus was optimised for 91. Edit to add: so in terms of apples to apples, or plus to plus, it is most appropriate to compare the outgoing 91 with the new 87 offering. Id expect the new 91 and 93 Octane low torque stage 1s to outperform the old one.

I've always generally run 93 gas (as there's not much 91 round here). Which is why I'm interested in experimenting to see if once I get my best times out of this using 93, I will run a tank of 87 and see if there is any drop off.

I'm not really a big drag demon - the car is my only car and daily driver. I just find it interesting to get these benchmarks. I certainly can't feel much of a drop-off in power between the two (but dragy knows best). But what is very noticable is the improved smoothness.

Last edited:

Damfino

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI SE PP
Just updated to V2 AWD IS38 91 octane loud pops & bangs. It feels much more responsive off the line vs the previous tune. Which always cut power. I’m running Indy 500 tires in the stock size and there is minimal wheel spin. To be honest the original stage 1 tune on the IS20 hit harder and had more wheel spin. No reason to not run the AWD file with the IS38.

Used OBDeleven to be able to disable TC completely. The light still flashes like crazy when accelerating from a dead stop. Doesn’t seem to affect the power but the ECU is not happy about it.

I’ll update after I have more time driving with the tune.

Last edited:

Passed Driver's Ed
Just updated to V2 AWD IS38 91 octane loud pops & bangs. It feels much more responsive off the line vs the previous tune. Which always cut power. I’m running Indy 500 tires in the stock size and there is minimal wheel spin. To be honest the original stage 1 tune on the IS20 hit harder and had more wheel spin. No reason to not run the AWD file with the IS38.

Used OBDeleven to be able to disable TC completely. The light still flashes like crazy when accelerating from a dead stop. Doesn’t seem to affect the power but the ECU is not happy about it.

I’ll update after I have more time driving with the tune.
Maybe the TC light flashes when you lose traction? It might not actually be activating when it flashes. Just a guess. The AWD file is fine at stage 2 (IS20) with the new software tune coming from the old stage 1 file. I use the TC light in my peripheral vision as a guide to how much I depress the gas pedal in the first 2 gears. It doesn't take long to get used to the extra torque, and it still drives MUCH easier than the last version of the ECU tune.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
So I've done a bit more dragy testing with the V2 Apr Plus tune, including on 87 gas. Best 0-60 is now 5.74(5.46 w 1ft rollout), best quarter mile is 13.97@102.37.

I've now done enough runs to be sure, but basically the new tune is about two-three 10ths slower in both 0-60 and quarter mile than the old version. Kinda what I expected really, given its optimised for 87 gas and about 7 bhp and 15ftlbs down from the outgoing V1.

However - the fact it does this on 87, plus the general drivability/smoothness improvements, I think is still fairly impressive and I'm happy I updated.

Unless anyone has any suggestions to the contrary, I can't now see any point in me running higher octane gas than 87 (as there doesn't seem to be a difference running this on 87 or 93 in the times). As far as I know, APR is the only company which has now put out an 87 optimised tune for the GTI, plus having the replacement warranty is some peace of mind.

That said, a devil on my back is telling me to forsake the warranty and upgrade my intercooler and go to the high torque stage 1 file, lol. 3 years of replacement powertrain warranty left....let's see if I make it that far :). Will keep reminding myself this is my daily driver etc...