GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

V2.0.x Software now available for the MK7 GTI / A3 Platform 2.0T

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
have you noticed turbo flutter? It is one thing it seems like people are seeing verse V1.

I have. Mostly on low throttle lift-off, but also sometimes on aggressive lift-off I will get a little as well. I'm assuming this is bad.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
have you noticed turbo flutter? It is one thing it seems like people are seeing verse V1.

Not really on the Plus tune - perhaps because it is the very softest state of tune. That said, I think I heard it chirp once - but certainly can't get it to do it on demand.

The Fat and the Furriness

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't hear any turbo surge/flutter at all. I only hear the intake air being sucked in after revving or similarly opening the throttle and releasing quickly. The higher the RPM, the louder the sound.

This is what I hear:

https://youtu.be/XhWakRP695w?t=16

No chirps or anything close to what I could find about turbo flutter sounds.

Edit: Just to add a an example of obvious turbo flutter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVetqDtraM

Last edited:

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
I don't hear any turbo surge/flutter at all. I only hear the intake air being sucked in after revving or similarly opening the throttle and releasing quickly. The higher the RPM, the louder the sound.

This is what I hear:

https://youtu.be/XhWakRP695w?t=16

No chirps or anything close to what I could find about turbo flutter sounds.

Edit: Just to add a an example of obvious turbo flutter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVetqDtraM

Mine sounds much closer to the second flutter vid, but not during free reving, only when shifting, and only sometimes. I do have a ECS intake that’s much more “open” than the carbonio though. Other people who have flutter, what intakes do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine sounds much closer to the second flutter vid, but not during free reving, only when shifting, and only sometimes. I do have a ECS intake that’s much more “open” than the carbonio though. Other people who have flutter, what intakes do you have?

That seems to be a likely candidate. I would have suspected a problem with the diverter valve, but many have stated that the only thing new introduced was a reflash of the ECU, and other symptoms would appear if the DV was failing.

I know from the objective tests that were provided by MyGolfMk7, my APR intake has a much more restrictive airflow compared to many other options available. Perhaps the added boost characteristics of the new ECU mappings are creating a situation where too much intake air is being introduced to the turbo? That would be a good place to start investigating.

Wondering if a blow off valve is necessary with certain air intake options as the ECU is updated to make more boost?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I'm using the DIY modified stock box. I'm not getting it while revving, only when shifting as well. It's not as "pingy" as the second video, but definitely not as "whooshy" as the first video.

Passed Driver's Ed
The little sound you hear lifting the throttle is not of a concern. If you're truly stalling the compressor it would sound dramatically different.

What do the engineers at APR suggest is responsible for the sound that only started after updating to the new ECU software flash? Any abnormal sound is a concern to most people.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
The little sound you hear lifting the throttle is not of a concern. If you're truly stalling the compressor it would sound dramatically different.

I wouldn’t call it little, it can be quite loud and head-turning “ChuChuChuChuChu” on my car. Enough to make pedestrians (and me sometimes) startle and stare tbh. Louder than my catless dp exhaust for sure. Usually only that loud if I’m wot and then really quickly let off throttle and clutch in. And still then, maybe only 50% of the time approx. other 50% gives the normal “Tshhhhhhh”. Not complaining, as long as its safe. I would really love a definitive explantion as well, if possible.

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn’t call it little, it can be quite loud and head-turning “ChuChuChuChuChu” on my car. Enough to make pedestrians (and me sometimes) startle and stare tbh. Louder than my catless dp exhaust for sure. Usually only that loud if I’m wot and then really quickly let off throttle and clutch in. And still then, maybe only 50% of the time approx. other 50% gives the normal “Tshhhhhhh”. Not complaining, as long as its safe. I would really love a definitive explantion as well, if possible.

2019 with DSG here, APR plus. Flashed with the BETA first and then V2.0. I had the lift off sound as soon as the ECU was tuned. It sounds like someone is choking a goose. It only occurs when boost is building and you let off of the throttle. Both versions.

What is interesting is that is inconsistent. I think “ChuChuChuChuChu” is a pretty good representation of the sound. My girlfriend noticed the sound as a passenger. She asked if something was wrong with the car. This is my third tuned VW and I never heard this type of sound before.

On a second note, V2.0 seems like it is a wee bit slower. My butt dial goes hand in hand with Yamaha's data. I went to V2.0 to address the mid-throttle surge at approximately 3500 RPM. It is still present. My best guess is that the software does not like the the variable timing. Better than stock but could use some refinement.