GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

V2.0.x Software now available for the MK7 GTI / A3 Platform 2.0T

The Fat and the Furriness

Passed Driver's Ed
2019 with DSG here, APR plus. Flashed with the BETA first and then V2.0. I had the lift off sound as soon as the ECU was tuned. It sounds like someone is choking a goose. It only occurs when boost is building and you let off of the throttle. Both versions.

What is interesting is that is inconsistent. I think “ChuChuChuChuChu” is a pretty good representation of the sound. My girlfriend noticed the sound as a passenger. She asked if something was wrong with the car. This is my third tuned VW and I never heard this type of sound before.

On a second note, V2.0 seems like it is a wee bit slower. My butt dial goes hand in hand with Yamaha's data. I went to V2.0 to address the mid-throttle surge at approximately 3500 RPM. It is still present. My best guess is that the software does not like the the variable timing. Better than stock but could use some refinement.

What type of intake is installed, if any?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
On a second note, V2.0 seems like it is a wee bit slower. My butt dial goes hand in hand with Yamaha's data. I went to V2.0 to address the mid-throttle surge at approximately 3500 RPM. It is still present. My best guess is that the software does not like the the variable timing. Better than stock but could use some refinement.

That's interesting, must say I have found the mid throttle behaviour to be greatly improved in the v2.0, a lot smoother than it was. Do you also have the DSG tune?

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
That's interesting, must say I have found the mid throttle behaviour to be greatly improved in the v2.0, a lot smoother than it was. Do you also have the DSG tune?

I have not done the DSG tune. I have my fingers on the paddles most of the time. If I go from Plus to stage 1/2, I would think about it. Only have 6K miles and want to keep the warranty.

Where did you have your work done? I am in Bradenton/Sarasota area.

Loopy

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Maybe Arin can comment on the motivation for making the GTI APR Plus tune an '87' tune. Seriously, what GTI owner would be using 87 to save a few dollars here and there. Is it just a way of saying we reduced the power and as a 'happy' side-effect we could make it run on 87? From comments above running 91 or even 93 does not improve the power output of the Plus tune.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Seriously, what GTI owner would be using 87 to save a few dollars here and there. Is it just a way of saying we reduced the power and as a 'happy' side-effect we could make it run on 87?
Loopy, probably the same ones that want to keep a warranty which is the entire point of the PLUS tune.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Loopy, probably the same ones that want to keep a warranty which is the entire point of the PLUS tune.

Exactly that.

Not that I'm that bothered about saving 'a few bucks here and there'....but I'm certainly not complaining. If the car with APR Plus went faster with 93 in it, I'd use it. V1 of APR Plus called for 91 so I always used premium and didn't care.

But from my dragy testing, times with V2 are the same 87 vs 93 so there's no point chucking money away. I think it's kinda neat APR has done a dedicated 87 tune which is still plenty more punchy than stock tune running 91. And which removes the retarded 124mph top speed castrator.

My problem is I keep having the urge to fit an intercooler, blow off the Plus warranty and upgrade to APR Stage 1 high torque :) Must resist...

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
Exactly that.

Not that I'm that bothered about saving 'a few bucks here and there'....but I'm certainly not complaining. If the car with APR Plus went faster with 93 in it, I'd use it. V1 of APR Plus called for 91 so I always used premium and didn't care.

But from my dragy testing, times with V2 are the same 87 vs 93 so there's no point chucking money away. I think it's kinda neat APR has done a dedicated 87 tune which is still plenty more punchy than stock tune running 91. And which removes the retarded 124mph top speed castrator.

My problem is I keep having the urge to fit an intercooler, blow off the Plus warranty and upgrade to APR Stage 1 high torque :) Must resist...

I just want to know if there is any negative factor for 87 pump, other than the lack of extra detergents. Still running 93 here. The vehicle with plus is way more than most people can handle, once you swap the stock rubber. Still thinking about changing the rear sway bar. HPDE.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just want to know if there is any negative factor for 87 pump, other than the lack of extra detergents. Still running 93 here. The vehicle with plus is way more than most people can handle, once you swap the stock rubber. Still thinking about changing the rear sway bar. HPDE.

87 should have the same detergents.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
So I've done a bit more dragy testing with the V2 Apr Plus tune, including on 87 gas. Best 0-60 is now 5.74(5.46 w 1ft rollout), best quarter mile is 13.97@102.37.

I've now done enough runs to be sure, but basically the new tune is about two-three 10ths slower in both 0-60 and quarter mile than the old version. Kinda what I expected really, given its optimised for 87 gas and about 7 bhp and 15ftlbs down from the outgoing V1.

Just to follow up on this one, gave it another shot this morning on a crisp 55 degree day here in Florida.

0-60 in 5.52 (5.22 w 1ft rollout) and 13.67 @ 104.60.....quite a difference the weather makes vs 88 degrees hot and humid. Will post up the 'slips' in the dragy thread in the Mk7 vs section when I get a chance.

That quarter mile even bested my APR Plus v1 time by 3 hundredths.

Again, runs this morning done using 87 gas. So now 6 weeks into having upgraded to v2.0, still think it's a great upgrade, so much smoother than the old v1 tune.

The Fat and the Furriness

Passed Driver's Ed
What tires do you have? It sounds like you have things dialed in perfectly between traction and power for the given street conditions. Those are really impressive 0-60 times for a FWD daily driver. The stage 2 high torque is extremely fun to drive and very smooth now compared with the last software version.