GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pistons?

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Hello gentlemen.
I'm currently looking to build my engine this winter (long boring time here in Toronto) and I'm undecided on what pistons to use. I've seen offerings from a few companies now and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or could recommend another. I am currently looking: CP-Carrillo, IE and JE all in 83mm diameter.
Any info would be appreciated. I really don't want to ask Facebook.
Thanks.

And a pic because I managed to stay ahead of that Vette for about 3 more seconds after that pic was taken.

IMG_9457.JPG

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
IE pistons are Mahle pistons and CP-Carrillo is big in drag racing with them top fuel dragsters and I didn't think they would make stuff for our little platform until I saw an ad in a car magazine recently. Stick with the original size of 82.5mm pistons. The only reason you would go up in size is if your cylinder walls are toast, as in scoring, and need to be fixed by the means of boring and honing the cylinder walls.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. I figured if the block is getting stripped down anyway I might as well bore it and just go with the 83mm pistons. Aside from a few extra bucks would there be a reason to avoid overboring? It seems like a good way to start fresh.
The CP pistons are made in the USA which to me is an attractive feature although I am Canadian (brother form another mother). The price of them put a tear in my eye though.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Thanks. I figured if the block is getting stripped down anyway I might as well bore it and just go with the 83mm pistons. Aside from a few extra bucks would there be a reason to avoid overboring? It seems like a good way to start fresh.
The CP pistons are made in the USA which to me is an attractive feature although I am Canadian (brother form another mother). The price of them put a tear in my eye though.

The cylinder walls on these aluminum blocks are very thin to begin with, that's why you don't see any pistons being bigger than 83mm. If your walls look fine, stick with the original size.

CP stuff is good but as you found out, they are definitely not cheap. You can't go wrong with Mahle, as that is who I ended up going with even though some guys are complaining about the piston slap noise being pretty loud on cold start ups.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I wouldnt recommend any engine work by IE. Their "machined" head looks like a 2nd grader went at it with a wire wheel. FFE is the place to go.

View attachment 195019

That's some shitty head work. FFE is pretty awesome and I love that they have a 2 door MK4 Golf with over 1000 hp. Yep, that's right, a fwd car with over 1000 hp, 1015 whp and 680 wtq to be exact!

I'm getting all of my machine work done by a reputable race shop that specializes in head work, that's in my area.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
That's some shitty head work. FFE is pretty awesome and I love that they have a 2 door MK4 Golf with over 1000 hp. Yep, that's right, a fwd car with over 1000 hp, 1015 whp and 680 wtq to be exact!

I'm getting all of my machine work done by a reputable race shop that specializes in head work, that's in my area.

Head games?