GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pistons?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I've heard that about JE's. Apparently they make one hell of a racket when cold. I didn't realize JE was making them to individual customer's specs. That's good to know. Thanks
Like piston slap in older LS1's?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Like piston slap in older LS1's?

I've heard that about JE's. Apparently they make one hell of a racket when cold. I didn't realize JE was making them to individual customer's specs. That's good to know. Thanks

Even the IE/Mahle pistons make a good amount of noise when cold and they are a low expansion alloy with a tighter clearance.

Seems like piston slap isn't avoidable with built motors on this platform.

Maybe the CP pistons will be quieter, not sure yet.

Piston slap isn't an actual problem, just an annoyance. It doesn't hurt anything. GM got sued over the piston slap issues and has won every time, because no one could prove the engines weren't performing to spec.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
My mahle pistons only slap for maybe 3 minutes when cold but it goes right away. It really isn't a problem unless you drive aggressively during that period. I dont even drive the car until the slap goes away.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I ordered the CP-Carrillo pistons because they're made in the USA even though I'm a Canadian lol. We'll see how they turn out.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I went with 83mm based on the recommendation of my engine guy. His argument was to size the bore to the piston.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks.
Anyone run nitrous and meth together on their MQB? lol

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
The cylinder walls on these aluminum blocks are very thin to begin with, that's why you don't see any pistons being bigger than 83mm. If your walls look fine, stick with the original size.

CP stuff is good but as you found out, they are definitely not cheap. You can't go wrong with Mahle, as that is who I ended up going with even though some guys are complaining about the piston slap noise being pretty loud on cold start ups.

I thought these were iron blocks?

Even the IE/Mahle pistons make a good amount of noise when cold and they are a low expansion alloy with a tighter clearance.

Seems like piston slap isn't avoidable with built motors on this platform.

Maybe the CP pistons will be quieter, not sure yet.

Piston slap isn't an actual problem, just an annoyance. It doesn't hurt anything. GM got sued over the piston slap issues and has won every time, because no one could prove the engines weren't performing to spec.

My 5.3 with 216k slaps on cold start up for 15 seconds. Runs like a champ.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
OPP with their name stamped on it.