GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rare Ara S3 Vortex XL build

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Drew maybe thinking about Rod knock, ignition retard will happen regardless of a built motor or not. I’d look at the obvious places, OP. Plugs, coils & fuel.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
turn it up
I'm already at 34.5 psi. I only see this turbo going no higher than 38 psi.

That's because you have a proper tune.
A proper tune can only go so far. If you don't have a solid seal within the pistons, oil will get around and start fouling up your plugs, which will give you knock.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
I’m on revision 2 so we shall see. I should probably change the plugs. Motor has 4k on it now.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm already at 34.5 psi. I only see this turbo going no higher than 38 psi.

A proper tune can only go so far. If you don't have a solid seal within the pistons, oil will get around and start fouling up your plugs, which will give you knock.
Just to clarify have you been talking about rod knock or spark knock?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I’m on revision 2 so we shall see. I should probably change the plugs. Motor has 4k on it now.
Checking them is always a good way to see how the motor is running too. Check the gaps you may not need to replace them if they’re only at 4K.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Just to clarify have you been talking about rod knock or spark knock?
We don't know for sure which knock he might have. Spark knock would be detonation knock which could be an issue with fuel, timing, or the plugs themselves and rod knock is an issue with the bearings and/or too much P2W clearance. @Rare Ara S3 pull your plugs and check them like what @daconchslop mentioned. If they have anything but normal condition, take a borescope and look down into the cylinder.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Try different fuel? Looks like a pump gas tune still? Those logs look pretty normal for mediocre gas. Also, should actually be at VAST this time if you can bring this out to their C&C. Would love to see it.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
It’s not much knock. But wouldn’t bad fuel be knock across all cylinders?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Not necessarily. But you are pulling timing on all cylinders in that last log. I'd throw a couple gallons of e85 in and see what happens. Otherwise check plugs like others have mentioned.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Not necessarily. But you are pulling timing on all cylinders in that last log. I'd throw a couple gallons of e85 in and see what happens. Otherwise check plugs like others have mentioned.
Unfortunately I’m out of town and won’t be able to mess with it for a while

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Try different fuel? Looks like a pump gas tune still? Those logs look pretty normal for mediocre gas. Also, should actually be at VAST this time if you can bring this out to their C&C. Would love to see it.
I’ll be out of town.