C8 or 2022 Golf R?

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’d go cayman gt4.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
A guy I work with on a project outside of secular work, has a C7 Z06, and was offered to take a test drive of the C8 at a track event by Chevy. He is a General Manager at a dealership, and has a new GM product in his driveway after 3 months - so you can see where his bias is...he is probably in his late 50's mid 60's

He found the C7 as more of a daily driver then a C8. He doesn't see himself leaving his C7 as the C8 was uncomfortable to get in and out of, as well as the interior wasn't as comfortable as it use to be. He loved road tripping the C7 halfway across Canada, where he said immediately the suspension in the C8 will never be able to do it, more tuned for the track.

IMO for a daily driver, new while going with a coupe -> I think that M2 / Supra / 400Z is more the range for the price. I think the C8 has gone into this odd, 'affordable exotic' space with the Cayman.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
IMO for a daily driver, new while going with a coupe -> I think that M2 / Supra / 400Z is more the range for the price. I think the C8 has gone into this odd, 'affordable exotic' space with the Cayman.
Aside from price, the Cayman is a much better daily than any of those. Supremely compliant suspension (if we're not talking GT4) and lots more storage space than all but the M2. Plus I can't think of a track that it wouldn't just walk away from all three of those, even if down on power quite a bit. They're brilliant cars and if I didn't need a back seat, there'd be one in the garage.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Aside from price, the Cayman is a much better daily than any of those. Supremely compliant suspension (if we're not talking GT4) and lots more storage space than all but the M2. Plus I can't think of a track that it wouldn't just walk away from all three of those, even if down on power quite a bit. They're brilliant cars and if I didn't need a back seat, there'd be one in the garage.
I suppose the 3-4 months out of the year we have snow is a factor, and would require a 2nd car for both the Cayman, C7 and C8. Can you drive them in the winter? sure...

What makes the Cayman a much better daily driver than the Supra or 400Z? I wouldn't consider one until a GTS / optioned Cayman S for a daily driver, if climate isn't an option

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I suppose the 3-4 months out of the year we have snow is a factor, and would require a 2nd car for both the Cayman, C7 and C8. Can you drive them in the winter? sure...

What makes the Cayman a much better daily driver than the Supra or 400Z? I wouldn't consider one until a GTS / optioned Cayman S for a daily driver, if climate isn't an option
More comfortable, they're really a great balance between sporty and refined. The frunk is massive and the space behind the seats is pretty useful too. They aren't as good in the snow as a 911 since they don't have as much weight on the back tires, but they're no slouch either and Porsche offers comically thin wheels for winter too. Remember that in Germany it's the law that you have winter tires from Oct - Apr and many cars are on steel wheels all winter long. Spring is awesome to see real wheels come back out. GTS is certainly the best option right now, no one wants that goofball four with it's side order of lag.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
There are 6 nationwide, two of the 8 listings are 'Call for price' .

Six is absolutely a number, but it's a small number and I would bet $10 most of these are going to have last minute dealer "market adjust" added to the price.

https://www.cars.com/shopping/resul...ck_type=all&year_max=&year_min=2021&zip=23249
There were more when I posted that, but shsn't production been stopped due to the chip shortage? We're talking about a Z51 Corvette, not a Z06 or ZR1. Historically there's been no real markup on a base model Corvette outside of the first model year and even then, $10k would be a large markup outside of all but a few markets. You can make a $100k base model if you throw every option at one and pay a little markup, but I'd guess that there haven't been more than a dozen six figure base Corvettes and obviously none of them will ever approach that value on the used market.

I'm sure someone has paid $40k for a GTI or $50k for an R, but paying a price for a new car certainly doesn't set you up well for the flip side. We've been shopping Macans and Porsche options are laughable, especially given that they really don't retain any of that value second hand. Having the air suspension and torque vectoring LSD make it easier to sell one quickly, but they don't appear to add any resale value.