GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Rofl

https://eqtuning.com/blogs/technical-write-ups/eqt-talks-about-spark-plugs

"We're tired of seeing FB posts about electrodes breaking off. So we're going to recommend everyone run racing plugs now."
Sigh…. I can literally buy 3 sets of Ruth’s or one set of Denso 5749. I get they had to make a business decision as the failures discussed on their page were a distraction, but these no way to come to a conclusion as to what’s actually going on.

What’s your plan for plugs moving forward?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sigh…. I can literally buy 3 sets of Ruth’s or one set of Denso 5749. I get they had to make a business decision as the failures discussed on their page were a distraction, but these no way to come to a conclusion as to what’s actually going on.

What’s your plan for plugs moving forward?

Me, personally?

Stick with Ruth's, gap them properly using the right tool, check them after 6 months, replace after a year. Pretty much just continuing what I've been doing.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Goddamnit, I installed RS7 plugs like two weeks ago when I flashed to EQT st 2 (yes I torqued to spec). Now all I'm going to be thinking about next track day is projected tip failure.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
yeah, i would go with non-projected for a track day, especially tuned + track day. way way way more heat than a random pull here or there on da streetz

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Goddamnit, I installed RS7 plugs like two weeks ago when I flashed to EQT st 2 (yes I torqued to spec). Now all I'm going to be thinking about next track day is projected tip failure.
I wouldn't worry about it that much. If you're that worried, throw in the stock plugs.

I ran the rs7 plugs for three track days in 85-100 degree ambient and the oil cranking to 285-295 degrees. They misfired and occasionally a cylinder would hide, but nothing catastrophic.

Reactions: q74

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
yeah, i would go with non-projected for a track day, especially tuned + track day. way way way more heat than a random pull here or there on da streetz

And that's just it. Despite the power I've built up in my car, it's still just an occasional random pull on the street or highway. I don't track or race my car, and don't feel that my driving style needs a 2 step colder race plug.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Are you sure about this for a vehicle not running race gas, or nitrous, and that sees dual duty? Or would the non-projected tip just be far more likely to foul and cause knock because it doesn't burn as cleanly or as well at "low rpm speeds" that dual duty cars spend 95% of their time in?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
And that's just it. Despite the power I've built up in my car, it's still just an occasional random pull on the street or highway. I don't track or race my car, and don't feel that my driving style needs a 2 step colder race plug.
Drive harder, with feeling.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I would be worried about a 1 step colder, projected spark plug's ground strap turning into a glowing red piece of metal, and causing pre-ignition and cracking a piston or something along those lines. Colder plugs help reduce the temp of the spark plugs, and going to non projected is just another step in that same direction. I blew up an engine on a track, very likely due to this issue (it's kinda hard to tell after the fact sometimes). The most conservative answer is to just run cold and/or non projected plugs, why do you think tuners always recommend it.

I've been running RS7 on a mild vortex setup, but I know I should probably go to a 2 step colder if I was going to be really driving it hard (beyond a few pulls here and there etc). It's all a compromise-- but I would play it safe for a no-shit track day scenario.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
pretty plausible there is a considerable overlap in the venn diagram of "people running RS7 plugs" and "people screwing around with their motor for the first time without proper tools and knowledge", so I'm not ruling out user error as an explanation for the higher failure rate. the most recent guy with a broken plug on facebook admitted he didn't torque to spec for example.
yea, lots of people gapping incorrectly I bet (closing by tapping against floor or spreading with cheap coin tool)

HenryFord

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
I'm about to tune the car with EQT Stage 1 and I already purchased a set of NGK 91006 Rs7 spark plugs. I know EQT is no longer recommending these but do you guys think it'll be okay to just put these plugs in without gapping to 0.024" and replace every 10k miles? (Eliminate incorrectly gapping plugs variable) Of course I'll check the plugs to make sure they come pregapped correctly at 0.026" (I think) but I'm not going to gap the plugs/touch the top at all.

The NGK racing plugs that EQT is now recommending come out to be $180 and this isn't even a track car..

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm about to tune the car with EQT Stage 1 and I already purchased a set of NGK 91006 Rs7 spark plugs. I know EQT is no longer recommending these but do you guys think it'll be okay to just put these plugs in without gapping to 0.024" and replace every 10k miles? (Eliminate incorrectly gapping plugs variable) Of course I'll check the plugs to make sure they come pregapped correctly at 0.026" (I think) but I'm not going to gap the plugs/touch the top at all.

The NGK racing plugs that EQT is now recommending come out to be $180 and this isn't even a track car..

I'm from the future. EQT recommends proton plasma emitters for the EA888 engines in 2023.

Do yourself a favor, get a proper gapping tool like this and just gap the plugs right.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pr...MI2riOh_2e9QIVqf_jBx0fnA09EAQYASABEgJb6_D_BwE

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I need to do spark plugs on my EQT ST2 GTI and I'm thinking about this Ruthenium type. Is this the model everyone uses NGK 95125 LFER7BHX Ruthenium HX Plug The NGK website says that is not compatible with my 2020 GTI engine.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I need to do spark plugs on my EQT ST2 GTI and I'm thinking about this Ruthenium type. Is this the model everyone uses NGK 95125 LFER7BHX Ruthenium HX Plug The NGK website says that is not compatible with my 2020 GTI engine.

Yes.