GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I'm about to tune the car with EQT Stage 1 and I already purchased a set of NGK 91006 Rs7 spark plugs. I know EQT is no longer recommending these but do you guys think it'll be okay to just put these plugs in without gapping to 0.024" and replace every 10k miles? (Eliminate incorrectly gapping plugs variable) Of course I'll check the plugs to make sure they come pregapped correctly at 0.026" (I think) but I'm not going to gap the plugs/touch the top at all.

The NGK racing plugs that EQT is now recommending come out to be $180 and this isn't even a track car..

For daily use, you can't beat the Rutheniums. Either sell your RS7 plugs now and get a set of Ruths, or just run the RS7's for 10K-15K and swap to Ruths later. Since Diggs recommended them, I've been running them stock, JB4 on 93, JB4 with E30, and now EQT Stage 1 93, and they work like any good plug should. No issues. Cheap, easy to get. Gap and torque properly.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
yea, lots of people gapping incorrectly I bet (closing by tapping against floor or spreading with cheap coin tool)
I get that people shouldn't be slamming spark plugs into hard surfaces for fun, but how much does it really hurt to firmly tap a spark plug against a surface to close the gap.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Even better. There is no magic to these things. Just need that, and a proper feeler gauge/tool.
Does a tool such as the amazon one allow you to both close and open the gap? or just close it? if it just closes, then what's your preferred technique to open the gap?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I get that people shouldn't be slamming spark plugs into hard surfaces for fun, but how much does it really hurt to firmly tap a spark plug against a surface to close the gap.
It works just fine, just don't be a wank about it. Lightly taping it with the feeler in there works just fine for me. I have one of the threaded gapping tools as well.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Buy Ruths, they are cheap...buy a good gap tool and gauge off amazon for less than $20 with the money saved. I even had my brother use them in his 1.8t stock wagon.

Reactions: q74

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Does a tool such as the amazon one allow you to both close and open the gap? or just close it? if it just closes, then what's your preferred technique to open the gap?

I think it's best to not open the gap if you can avoid it. Just get the right gap the first time so you don't have to open it. The screw type tools makes it so you can go slow. I open the gap with a tool like this:
https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-32...323&sprefix=spark+plug+gap+tool,aps,64&sr=8-9

Don't obsess over being right on the dot. Just try to get as close as possible and forget about it if you're slightly off. You should be able to get them all pretty close and uniform with the screw type tool.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think it's best to not open the gap if you can avoid it. Just get the right gap the first time so you don't have to open it. The screw type tools makes it so you can go slow. I open the gap with a tool like this:
https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-3238-Spark-Gauge/dp/B00PISL328/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2Z3BUO4GY11US&keywords=spark+plug+gap+tool&qid=1641569323&sprefix=spark+plug+gap+tool,aps,64&sr=8-9

Don't obsess over being right on the dot. Just try to get as close as possible and forget about it if you're slightly off. You should be able to get them all pretty close and uniform with the screw type tool.
Yep - in fact the screw tool won't actually set it at the right gap with that gap's feeler in there I've found so I go one under what I am aiming for and it seems to work out. I still usually just put the feeler and in and lightly tap if it even needs it - I've always just run mine at the stock gap...hahahaha

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If the feeler is in there how can you go to far? I've never had to open them back up.

I don't keep the feeler in there while closing the gap. Maybe I should? Seems like a lot of finger and toe coordination. haha.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Yep - in fact the screw tool won't actually set it at the right gap with that gap's feeler in there I've found so I go one under what I am aiming for and it seems to work out. I still usually just put the feeler and in and lightly tap if it even needs it - I've always just run mine at the stock gap...hahahaha
Yea, as long as you get within +/- 0.001 of target your fine. Unless your one of those people who obsess over gap. :ROFLMAO:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
If the feeler is in there how can you go to far? I've never had to open them back up.
Trust me people find a way...

Push the gap until one can't remove the feeler without damaging the electrode...heh

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't keep the feeler in there while closing the gap. Maybe I should? Seems like a lot of finger and toe coordination. haha.
I need to make a video...hahahaha

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yea, as long as you get within +/- 0.001 of target your fine. Unless your one of those people who obsess over gap. :ROFLMAO:
I don't obsess at all - in fact I usually just check them and drop them in.