GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
10k? How much was motor vs labour.
Engine was $5,700 plus tax, 43k miles with a 12 month/12k mile warranty. My car is a 2015 with 45k miles and was likely one of the first runs of the CXCA since it was non-PP. Engine was a later CXCA off a recently wrecked 2016 PP car.

I actually ended up sourcing it myself and it was the lowest mileage CXCA motor available in the country at the time (wasn’t even off the car when I bought it). A new long block wasn’t really an option since they’re all backordered from Germany with no ETA available.

Probably got somewhat of a break on the labor, they definitely spent more time than the hours they ultimately charged - and they pushed it through in less than a week as soon as a slot opened up in their schedule. I also had them do the water pump just for good measure since the engine was already out.

Shitty as the situation has been, there’s a reason I drive out to NGP for major performance work - nothing but good things to say about their team.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Engine was $5,700 plus tax, 43k miles with a 12 month/12k mile warranty. My car is a 2015 with 45k miles and was likely one of the first runs of the CXCA since it was non-PP. Engine was a later CXCA off a recently wrecked 2016 PP car.

I actually ended up sourcing it myself and it was the lowest mileage CXCA motor available in the country at the time (wasn’t even off the car when I bought it). A new long block wasn’t really an option since they’re all backordered from Germany with no ETA available.

Probably got somewhat of a break on the labor, they definitely spent more time than the hours they ultimately charged - and they pushed it through in less than a week as soon as a slot opened up in their schedule. I also had them do the water pump just for good measure since the engine was already out.

Shitty as the situation has been, there’s a reason I drive out to NGP for major performance work - nothing but good things to say about their team.
NGP is a good outfit for sure.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion

What service did you use to find the engine? I've also read before that our engines are extremely common in China apparently, though Im sure it would cost and arm and a leg to ship an engine across the globe.

Of course, the big question....have you installed the DTR and will you go with APR's tune? (Personally I'd get a COBB AP and get EQT on the job)

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well, when it comes to 4-cyl econoboxes you never really know what your gonna get. It was two 5.0s playin a bit, then I decided to join in and it was game on.
fytftfy

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
terrified of ever blowing my engine or dsg transmission. those are two EXPENSIVE things to break. think ive read a few times that a new DSG is ~7000 if you're lucky? F.T.S.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I mean, there are a lot of 4 cylinder econoboxes which are limited to 300-350whp by their bottom end, probably not enough to walk a 5.0 Coyote like a stock bottom end GTI. The ea888 cast iron bottom end isn't common among modern engines.
Hit the nail on the head here. I feel like most 4 cylinders end up more expensive than a V8 by the time they're as fast. I have Subaru friends that end up with $10k+ in the engine before they crack 400hp.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Hit the nail on the head here. I feel like most 4 cylinders end up more expensive than a V8 by the time they're as fast. I have Subaru friends that end up with $10k+ in the engine before they crack 400hp.

Not just as expensive, but not as reliable either. A V8 can constantly take the beating when it's putting down over 400hp. A little 4banger that came originally with 210hp out the box may not like being pushed into the 400s constantly. At least not without something going wrong eventually. Though it's fun while it lasts, right? That and the bragging rights of saying your 4banger was able to take down an 8?

Personally, I never really got into VWs because I ever thought they were fast. I liked the interior and "whole" package it provided. If I wanted a cheap fast car, I'd pick up a 90s sh!tbox Honda with a K20 engine that puts down less than 300hp and smacks 450+ hp cars silly. Either you pay to have a nice looking car be "faster", or you go for the cheap route and get what you know will get you fast without killing your wallet.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
What service did you use to find the engine? I've also read before that our engines are extremely common in China apparently, though Im sure it would cost and arm and a leg to ship an engine across the globe.

Of course, the big question....have you installed the DTR and will you go with APR's tune? (Personally I'd get a COBB AP and get EQT on the job)
DTR still installed, switched to the APR FWD file. No reason to believe this tune caused the failure (if APR is being truthful that I am literally the only person who has experienced this failure with the DTR).

I definitely wouldn’t assume that a more aggressive tune that produces the same power and even more torque would make this setup any more “reliable” with stock block/stock fueling. Am I missing something specific that EQT is claiming to have resolved with this turbo that APR has not (besides a fatter torque curve)?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Popped a couple 0-60s, pre-IC install (did that this afternoon). 😐

Same stretch of road 15m apart.

1. Need to find a new spot b/c it was bad idea central.
2. LC set to 4k. First one is without holding down ESC button to go to sport. Second one is ESC Sport.

BBAB4F08-6903-4AB6-ACC3-EA3E34E14BFB.png

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
Popped a couple 0-60s, pre-IC install (did that this afternoon). 😐

Same stretch of road 15m apart.

1. Need to find a new spot b/c it was bad idea central.
2. LC set to 4k. First one is without holding down ESC button to go to sport. Second one is ESC Sport.
Thanks for sharing. Demonstrates what I was on about earlier in the thread - your 0-60 is no better than Stage 1 numbers because you are never exceeding the maximum ~.5-.6g afforded by your tires and suspension in street conditions, and Stage 1 can keep up with that amount of power to the ground. Past 60 is where you should really see the difference.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Thanks for sharing. Demonstrates what I was on about earlier in the thread - your 0-60 is no better than Stage 1 numbers because you are never exceeding the maximum ~.5-.6g afforded by your tires and suspension in street conditions, and Stage 1 can keep up with that amount of power to the ground. Past 60 is where you should really see the difference.
100%. From a roll? Pulls like a freight train.