GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

LiamApex

From ErWiN
TPI 2067824/1:

Customer statement:
• When lightly braking and with a gear change from 4th to 3rd gear at a speed of about 30 km/h a jerk is noticeable.

Technical background
Incorrect software in engine control unit. When recovering energy via the belt-driven starter-alternator the recovery is
“suddenly” ended and, as a result, a jerk is noticeable.

A new software version for the engine control unit is being prepared.
• This TPI will be updated as soon as the new software version for the engine control unit is available.
• At the moment an effective repair is not possible. We will inform you as soon as an effective repair is available.
• The replacement of the engine control unit does not fix the complaint. The currently delivered engine control units
do not contain a solution for the above complaints - a groundless replacement of the engine control unit warranty
will be redebated.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Seems that in the cold it doesn't do it as much anymore, but once the engine gets warm does it. Hopefully they deliver a good fix.

8uddah

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, so please bear with me.

I had a Mk8 GTE delivered in Feb 2021 and I recently had the car into the dealer to have the (I believe) 91CU update. Apparently the next morning the unit had been "fried" and they sent off for a replacement which now has been fitted and is now the 5H0035816K (H58) on Version 1899.

So far it's been pretty good with little faults! It has also given me the new feature that the Nav Map View Mode on the Dials Screen. Keyless Entry works and the lights come on as you get close to the car!

Just a couple of issues that I think are my error but I am hoping you all will be able to help with;

1) When I have Apple Car Play connected (wirelessly) and am using Apple Maps for turn-by-turn navigation, I get constant notifications on the Dials Screen at the top, even if the turn is like 3 miles away etc. I cannot clear these unless I change one of those left or right dials to Navigation. Is there anyway to stop the turn-by-turn from CarPlay showing on the Dials Screen?

2) The lights coming on when you approach is a great feature, but when at home and I move around the house with the keys in my pocket, the lights turn on and off! Scared the bejesus out of my girlfriend! Does anyone know how these work or if there are any setting within the Infotainment System to control these?

3) Final Point, maybe slightly unrelated, has anyone experienced any battery for the GTE/Hybrid Golf as for me, I felt the battery 100% charge mileage had been really woeful last 3/4 months and wondered if the update would have made that any better!

Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone has any questions regarding the 1899 Update, I am more than happy to answer/try things out! (y)

UPL02

1) When I have Apple Car Play connected (wirelessly) and am using Apple Maps for turn-by-turn navigation, I get constant notifications on the Dials Screen at the top, even if the turn is like 3 miles away etc. I cannot clear these unless I change one of those left or right dials to Navigation. Is there anyway to stop the turn-by-turn from CarPlay showing on the Dials Screen?
Well, I have the exact opposite issue (with software 1896)! Using Android Auto, when connected either wirelessly or via cable (it doesn't change), I don't get any popup notifications on the upper center of the instrument panel when approaching crosses or turns.
If I switch the left dial to Navigation, then of course the information there is right and updated, but still no popups in the center.
I think it is a bug, because if - with the Navigation dial open - I push the left cursor on the wheel (like when opening the menu) then a popup briefly appears on the top and then disappears.

I'm pretty sure this worked some time ago, but I cannot say if others have this issue too... I would like to have the popups appearing just like when using the VW navigator (they are correct there). The bad news is that you're confirming that 1899 doesn't solve that :cry:

Does anyone know how these work or if there are any setting within the Infotainment System to control these?
If I remember well, there is a setting to turn off the lights on the infotainment; they call them coming / leaving home lights.

I felt the battery 100% charge mileage had been really woeful last 3/4 months
Probably due to the cold season. 2-3 months ago I was able to drive with an average consumption of 20 kWh/100 km while now I'm more on 26-27 kWh/100 km... I don't think VW will be able to improve battery mileage with a software update like on the IDs.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I have the exact opposite issue (with software 1896)! Using Android Auto, when connected either wirelessly or via cable (it doesn't change), I don't get any popup notifications on the upper center of the instrument panel when approaching crosses or turns.
If I switch the left dial to Navigation, then of course the information there is right and updated, but still no popups in the center.
I think it is a bug, because if - with the Navigation dial open - I push the left cursor on the wheel (like when opening the menu) then a popup briefly appears on the top and then disappears.

I'm pretty sure this worked some time ago, but I cannot say if others have this issue too... I would like to have the popups appearing just like when using the VW navigator (they are correct there). The bad news is that you're confirming that 1899 doesn't solve that :cry:
Wait.. It is supposed to to show directions on the instrument cluster when using Google maps or other on AA? Mine only shows the first instruction after starting the navigation.

UPL02

It is supposed to to show directions on the instrument cluster when using Google maps or other on AA?
I though so... if you show the Navigation instrument you get the next direction and the distance to that direction. So I think that the same information could be displayed in the popup when the distance is less then (say) 200 meters, isn't it possible?

Mine only shows the first instruction after starting the navigation
Mine not even that :cry: (I'm talking about the popup, the navigation widget is perfect).

8uddah

If I remember well, there is a setting to turn off the lights on the infotainment; they call them coming / leaving home lights.

Probably due to the cold season. 2-3 months ago I was able to drive with an average consumption of 20 kWh/100 km while now I'm more on 26-27 kWh/100 km... I don't think VW will be able to improve battery mileage with a software update like on the IDs.

That’s really helpful, thank you!

I thought VW might’ve been able to do an update or something so that the mileage makes more sense, I used to get 3miles/kWh (= 38/39 miles) but nowadays it like 2miles/kWh (25 miles-ish) but started happening before the cold weather!! I thought it might’ve been battery deterioration but there’s no way to know from the infotainment system 🙄

I do like the coming home/leaving lights because my driveway is pitch black but I wanted to know if I could change the proximity to car when the come home but I thinking probably not!

With the Nav, I reckon the 1899 update will give you the notifications, although at least for Apple CarPlay, I’m not sure about Android, but the annoying thing is, if you use VW navigator, the notification is more like a pop-up when you approach a junction or whatever, with CarPlay it’s a continuous notification box, doesn’t ever go away for the whole time you’re using Apple Maps and the only way to stop it is if you put the Nav Widget on the screen!

I’ll try and take a picture tomorrow and share it for you.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
8uddah the electric range gauge is usually referred to as a Guess-O-Meter. I know it’s difficult but it’s best not to take it too seriously. Best range on pure electric will be in the summer when it’s 21C, air con off, no hills, gentle driving at low speeds. Best range I have ever achieved was 35 miles. Worst 23. It’s a GTE. Drive it like you stole it 😳

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
I thought VW might’ve been able to do an update or something so that the mileage makes more sense, I used to get 3miles/kWh (= 38/39 miles) but nowadays it like 2miles/kWh (25 miles-ish) but started happening before the cold weather!! I thought it might’ve been battery deterioration but there’s no way to know from the infotainment system 🙄

The issue here is that the car is also just "guessing" what's in the battery. It can't physically check the eletrolyte etc for deterioration, so all it can do is measure the voltage drop per mile and give you an estimate based on that. I doubt it's degradation with a 1 year old battery, unless you've done something severely wrong (multiple ways - keep it plugged in constantly, deep discharge to 100% charge constantly, 95% to 100% charge etc) - but even then, a battery doesn't really degrade by what, 15% over a year.

The also degrade gradually, so if something happened at a particular point in time, it's more likely that something else is the culprit - be it the weather ("cold" is awful for batteries), be it increased electrical consumption for some reason etc. 2 miles/kwh sounds about right for this weather in "normal" use.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
The only notification I get on the dashboard while using Waze on AA is this one:

20221217_141452.jpg

If I set "Navigation" on the left or right display I do get step-by-step directions, but the pop-up only shows when navigation starts.

Last edited:

UPL02

the pop-up only shows when navigation starts
I don't get any popup, neither at the start, instead. But if open the left menu and, when the cursor is over Navigation, I press the left button (the same that I used to open the menu) than the popup briefly appers and then disappears.

In my opinion this is a bug, but as I didn't try with an older software version I cannot be 100% sure.
How can we suggest VW to fix that (provided that they want to)?

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

For the last few weeks (worked fine up until now) the automatic steering wheel heating due to outside temperatures is not working. I have had it set to High but every time I enter the car it sets the steering wheel heating to low. When I enter the setup menu it is set to OFF. When I change it to whatever level it just goes back to OFF. This is not an issue with seat heating, that part is working fine. Another annoying VW bug. I am seriously considering getting rid of the car and buying an Audi or BMW. I have bugs every so often and after almost 2 years of ownership, TBH I have had it... Ex. SOS error, traffic assist error, rear parking camera error etc, etc. All well documented "false/positive" errors.

Has anyone else had this steering wheel heating bug? Does it again need to go to a dealer?

Regards
T-bro

MickeyW

Hi T-bro,
Yes I’ve the same issue with the heated steering wheel. Set the preference when I collected the car in September (August build) and then didn’t bother checking it as it seemed to work fine when the temperatures dropped.
Only noticed it when the initial start up setting of medium went to low or high. Going into the menu showed the preference to be off. I tried a reboot, with the power on/off button but no change.
The car came with software version1896 I think and I’ve received one over the air update since then.
Decided I’d leave it alone for a little while in case I can make a journey to the dealer worth while with another couple of fixes.
Other than that it’s a great car. Just what a pensioner needs to get to the doctors.

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey @MickeyW, thanks for sharing your experience. Let me know if yours magically fixes itself before you go to the dealer and I'll notify you of the same aswell.