GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

tos

Go Kart Champion
I have only on/off option on automatic steering wheel heating. It is max every time.
There should be memory when pressing 3 seconds of steering wheel heating button, but it will not work on my car.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I have only on/off option on automatic steering wheel heating. It is max every time.
There should be memory when pressing 3 seconds of steering wheel heating button, but it will not work on my car.
Pressing and holding the steering wheel heating button is intended to turn the heating off when in position 3 or 2 without cycling through the lower levels, I don’t know what you are referring to when you say “MEMORY when pressing 3 seconds”, that’s not a thing, that’s why it doesn’t do it.

8uddah

Hey @MickeyW, thanks for sharing your experience. Let me know if yours magically fixes itself before you go to the dealer and I'll notify you of the same aswell.

Hi T-Bro & Mickey,

I can tell you that I had that bug on previous software (1668 I think) where the steering heating wouldn’t come on automatically nor would it come on if I tried to pre-warm the car from the app.

I can tell you that since I’ve had the update (version 1899 - newest one IIRC) all my infotainment system related issues seem to be resolved including the steering wheel heating.

I would suggest asking your dealer to update you to the new Version 1899 software which will hopefully solve your problem too!!

Buddah 👍🏽

tos

Go Kart Champion
Pressing and holding the steering wheel heating button is intended to turn the heating off when in position 3 or 2 without cycling through the lower levels, I don’t know what you are referring to when you say “MEMORY when pressing 3 seconds”, that’s not a thing, that’s why it doesn’t do it.
I got that info from user manual, but I was wrong... it was only one second
1671645032476.png

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I got that info from user manual, but I was wrong... it was only one second
View attachment 268552
Did you get the above instructions from the Mk8 owners manual?? In my GTIyour description doesn’t do anything, pressing briefly switches between heat levels 3-2-1 and off, and holding the button down switches the heating off withoutcycling through the lower levels, there is no memory setting.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Did you set heating to level 2, turn it off by holding the button for one second, and then hold it again for another second? It does indeed say so in the Mk8 manual.

tos

Go Kart Champion
Did you get the above instructions from the Mk8 owners manual?? In my GTIyour description doesn’t do anything, pressing briefly switches between heat levels 3-2-1 and off, and holding the button down switches the heating off withoutcycling through the lower levels, there is no memory setting.
Yes, manual version 11.2020
I did not check updated version from car

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
It's in the 09.2020 version for the GTE as well, so it's pretty safe to assume that it came from factory and not with one of the updates.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Just tried it and it works. So set the desired level to memorize and long press the button for one second which will memorize the level and will also turn off the steering heating. Then to use the memorized setting just long press for one second and the steering heating level memorized will be active.

Last edited:
Reactions: tos

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just tried it and it works. So set the desired level to memorize and long press the button for one second which will memorize the level and will also turn off the steering heating. Then to use the memorized setting just long press for one second and the steering heating level memorized will be active.
Ahh, I was going to say it doesn’t work for me, BUT, I now see you need to long press while turning on, I wasn’t doing that!🙄, however, I don’t see the point tbh! It’s 3 presses at most, but I only use the wheel on 2 or 3 so probably quicker to just press the button once or twice.

TheDutchieGolf8

From ErWiN
TPI 2067824/1:

Customer statement:
• When lightly braking and with a gear change from 4th to 3rd gear at a speed of about 30 km/h a jerk is noticeable.

Technical background
Incorrect software in engine control unit. When recovering energy via the belt-driven starter-alternator the recovery is
“suddenly” ended and, as a result, a jerk is noticeable.

A new software version for the engine control unit is being prepared.
• This TPI will be updated as soon as the new software version for the engine control unit is available.
• At the moment an effective repair is not possible. We will inform you as soon as an effective repair is available.
• The replacement of the engine control unit does not fix the complaint. The currently delivered engine control units
do not contain a solution for the above complaints - a groundless replacement of the engine control unit warranty
will be redebated.
Nice to know, any idea since when they posted this? Is there any date with the information posted?

UPDATE:
So on 7th of November I brought my car to the second dealer where I bought the car (1.5 eTSI - delivered 07-2020) and they weren’t able to solve the issue, they stated that PON (Dutch firm that represents VW Germany) says that this comes with the functionality of the mild hybrid system (which is just untrue). The shifting issue wasn’t there before 1896 (or very mildly at the most). After 1896 it was there, and didn’t go away. Everytime I drive the car it annoys the hell out of me, as much as I was yelling: “I’m going to sue the company!!!” Well, didn’t come that far yet.... :)
I do still hope that VW acknowledges the issue (is erWin a system which is being “filled” by VW?) and that some update in the near future will solve the issue. The information stated above in erWin gives a bit of hope.......

I will check btw what version I am on at the moment...