GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Someone please let me know how this resonator sounds. Interested but don’t want to be the test monkey.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
@j255c keep in mind this is not a resonator, this is just a 1/4 wave drone canceller. The only draw back of some of then is that if not spec'd correctly it will also diminish other lower frequencies making the exhaust sound slightly thinner. Corsa employs a similar method on their mufflers, resulting in a very high pitch exhaust note instead of the deep rumble on LS V8's. Some people love them, some hate them. If you have a lot of drone, this will definitely remove it. Exhaust sound should be similar to what you have now, without some bottom end and no drone.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
@j255c keep in mind this is not a resonator, this is just a 1/4 wave drone canceller. The only draw back of some of then is that if not spec'd correctly it will also diminish other lower frequencies making the exhaust sound slightly thinner. Corsa employs a similar method on their mufflers, resulting in a very high pitch exhaust note instead of the deep rumble on LS V8's. Some people love them, some hate them. If you have a lot of drone, this will definitely remove it. Exhaust sound should be similar to what you have now, without some bottom end and no drone.
I have the APR catback exhaust on a '19 R. My exhaust definitely is not high in pitch at all. Personally I think it is a bit too low in pitch especially in the off idle to 2K at light throttle. It was worse when I had the double wall exhaust tips, the single wall seem to have lessoned it a bit. Other than that I have not experienced any drone.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Personally I think it is a bit too low in pitch especially in the off idle to 2K at light throttle
This means that it was spec'd correctly, it is targeting the drone frequencies which usually are above 2k rpm.

All a 1/4 wave does is inject a frequency that is 180 degrees out of phase of the drone causing freq. So it will inject some low frequency below the intended RPM and also at the top end, but not enough to cause droning. Then when it hits the target RPM it will cancel out the drone. Same as the noise cancelling headphones do.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Hope this helps someone in the future. These cars don’t have to sound like shit or tractors. It now sounds like a sophisticated sports car.
Where's the videos? I'm shocked they have them listed at that price with 3 photos and no videos.

Sunny_5k

Car(s)
Vw golf gttdi mk7
Hopefully we can keep this at the top and avoid answering the same questions all day. If anyone has input I can update the OP, but this covers the basics. Sound is very subjective but this will help give a starting point for building a game plan to meet anyone's goals

Edit: pictures of OEM tubing, slightly oversized so 2.5” parts will not slip fit over it
Hi , do you know anything about fault code p0651 ? Please help

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Just a quick review of Jake Baun's Stealth TBE.

I went with the 3" V2 downpipe that now has a EPA certified GESI cat and the Stealth Catback option. My number one goal was to get a quiet setup as I daily drive the car and the drone on my old setup after going to is38 had pushed me to my limits. Given Jake's reputation here he was the natural move. Expensive, but I felt comfortable this would truly be a "the last exhaust I'd ever need" buy once/cry once type of purchase and I have to say, that's exactly what I got. Fitment for everything is 10/10. Not a single issue. Every single piece fit exactly how it should. The tips are perfectly centered in the openings unlike my old set up.

Sound is perfect as well. It's somewhat deep and boomy on a cold start in an enclosed space like my garage but barely anything, probably comparable to stock if I could remember what stock sounded like. Once it comes down off cold start it's basically inaudible inside the vehicle. Gentle acceleration you get barely any noise at all but when you give it a bit more gas you get, to me at least, the perfect amount of sound. It's noticeable, but it's also also not going get everyone in a 500ft radius turning their heads to look either. Since going stage two, and definitely since going is38, I finally feel like I can get on the gas to pass someone and not feel like I'm shouting "hey look at me my car is FAST!". I'm 33 and I drive this car back and forth to work every day. I don't want to be "that guy" anymore.

For anyone considering any of his work I can comfortably say it's 100% worth what you pay. If you want a super quiet option, go with the stealth catback like I did. I am sure my neighbors have already noticed!

ccramerusc

Car(s)
17' GTI SE
So after spending a few hours reading many of these 132 pages and watching some videos online, I think I have come to the realization that my only real option I have is to add a Vibrant 17950 immediately before the stock muffler/resonator. Please correct me if you have other suggestions.

My 17' GTI has a Depo Racing catted DP to the rest of the stock exhaust system. I get drone at about 2700 RPM, and at even slightly spirited acceleration it gets obnoxiously loud at about that same RPM. So I would like to reduce the drone and make it quieter most of the time.

I measured 23 inches between the stock muffler/resonator and the Vband clamp which separates the upper and lower pieces of the DP. So I could cut the downpipe about 4 inches downstream from the vband clamp, and slip on the Vibrant 17950 which should leave me enough space to add a reducer (from the other end of the downpipe scrap) to then go into the stock muffler with a clamp. Would this help? Is it worth my effort?

I was originally considering swapping the stock resonator/muffler with the vibrant 17950 but it is all 2.5 inches back there since my downpipe came with the reducer on it. Plus I figure keeping the stock muffler in line wouldn't hurt with quieting things down.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So after spending a few hours reading many of these 132 pages and watching some videos online, I think I have come to the realization that my only real option I have is to add a Vibrant 17950 immediately before the stock muffler/resonator. Please correct me if you have other suggestions.

My 17' GTI has a Depo Racing catted DP to the rest of the stock exhaust system. I get drone at about 2700 RPM, and at even slightly spirited acceleration it gets obnoxiously loud at about that same RPM. So I would like to reduce the drone and make it quieter most of the time.

I measured 23 inches between the stock muffler/resonator and the Vband clamp which separates the upper and lower pieces of the DP. So I could cut the downpipe about 4 inches downstream from the vband clamp, and slip on the Vibrant 17950 which should leave me enough space to add a reducer (from the other end of the downpipe scrap) to then go into the stock muffler with a clamp. Would this help? Is it worth my effort?

I was originally considering swapping the stock resonator/muffler with the vibrant 17950 but it is all 2.5 inches back there since my downpipe came with the reducer on it. Plus I figure keeping the stock muffler in line wouldn't hurt with quieting things down.

You missed the entire point of the thread other than one part number.

Here’s the solution you absolutely can’t just slap together at home.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/baun-oem-fitment-midpipe.433339/

To elaborate, there isn’t room to do what you’re describing. The 17950 is 5” OD. If you think cabin drone is bad now, you’ll be in pain from what you induce by adding metal on metal contact with chassis components by attempting what you described.

There’s also absolutely no reason once so ever to keep the OEM resonator in place, nor would anyone recommend you’d get rid of the muffler.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
This is on a slightly different track, but have you ever considered using one of these in place of the 17950, @GTI Jake?

It has about 25% more volume, but has a 6" OD. Is there enough room to fit this? Thinking this could be used in a "quiet midpipe" for those who have spicy muffler setups or muffler deletes.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This is on a slightly different track, but have you ever considered using one of these in place of the 17950, @GTI Jake?

It has about 25% more volume, but has a 6" OD. Is there enough room to fit this? Thinking this could be used in a "quiet midpipe" for those who have spicy muffler setups or muffler deletes.

No, never had a need to explore different options.

I already have six distinctly different options to cover near stock - rowdy.