GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
It was too loud because it was a catless dp most likely. Going to sound pretty bad with a setup like that.
bunch more exhaust flow alongside the stock oem pipe, res and muffler. Not good
The IE was catted. I believe it had to do with not having the vibrant resonator. Overall the BAUN setup is beautiful with the stock muffler. Quiet enough for regular driving and just enough growl when I get on it to enjoy the sound. It even gargles a little when it’s cold in between shifts.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I have a better exhaust vid coming for yall. Inspired by all the positive comments I get and people at car shows asking me how I got mine to sound like that. Also since I got something better to record audio with, need to try it out lol. My exhaust setup is Unitronic catted dp, mated to AWE track exhaust. I have the CTS turbo elbow and a Cobb SF full intake setup. IS38 turbo and tuned by Diggs. Cell phone doesnt do it justice, so hoping my new Canon EOS T8i recording in 4k will. Stay tuned...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have a better exhaust vid coming for yall. Inspired by all the positive comments I get and people at car shows asking me how I got mine to sound like that. Also since I got something better to record audio with, need to try it out lol. My exhaust setup is Unitronic catted dp, mated to AWE track exhaust. I have the CTS turbo elbow and a Cobb SF full intake setup. IS38 turbo and tuned by Diggs. Cell phone doesnt do it justice, so hoping my new Canon EOS T8i recording in 4k will. Stay tuned...
So cat, resonator, and no mufflers. I would think that is obnoxiously loud and unrefined. Basically the same as running a catted DP and doing a muffler delete on the stock system. Isn't it a drone-fest?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
So cat, resonator, and no mufflers. I would think that is obnoxiously loud and unrefined. Basically the same as running a catted DP and doing a muffler delete on the stock system. Isn't it a drone-fest?
Cruising at just the right rpm I hear some drone, but I can accelerate or slow down a few mph and it goes away to where all I hear is just exhaust noises and the turbo when its spooling.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

AWE stole footage I posted of a local car with a DP & their track CBE, it’s kinda loud and sounds sporty, but not as deep or drone free as the vast majority prefer.

The GTI version of their Track has one giant muffler

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
I'm very happy with the vibrant. I'm catless dp and res only. 3 inch pipe. Still a little raspy at 3k until 4

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Wanted to give a plug to APR for their Helmholtz resonators that they’ve recently released. It was the missing piece of my setup, and I’ve finally achieved what I’ve been after on my Golf R. I still kind of can’t believe it.

My setup is stock cat -> vibrant 17950 bottle resonator -> APR Helmholtz resonator -> Nameless Performance muffled catback

Exhaust valves have been cancelled as I never found myself switching between modes really.

It’s got the look, the deep/grumbly tone, the subtle “farts” if you will, and the extra but not obnoxious decibels that I was after. Most importantly it now doesn’t have that annoying 3-4K RPM drone. AT ALL. There’s literally none in any scenario. Kudos to APR for this thing because I was skeptical af but this is truly tuned for that specific RPM range like they said.

Hope this helps someone in the future. These cars don’t have to sound like shit or tractors. It now sounds like a sophisticated sports car.

For reference it’s the APR MUH0015 that has an indent for the driveshaft: https://www.goapr.com/products/engi...ponents/mufflers_and_resonators/parts/MUH0015

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Wanted to give a plug to APR for their Helmholtz resonators that they’ve recently released. It was the missing piece of my setup, and I’ve finally achieved what I’ve been after on my Golf R. I still kind of can’t believe it.

My setup is stock cat -> vibrant 17950 bottle resonator -> APR Helmholtz resonator -> Nameless Performance muffled catback

Exhaust valves have been cancelled as I never found myself switching between modes really.

It’s got the look, the deep/grumbly tone, the subtle “farts” if you will, and the extra but not obnoxious decibels that I was after. Most importantly it now doesn’t have that annoying 3-4K RPM drone. AT ALL. There’s literally none in any scenario. Kudos to APR for this thing because I was skeptical af but this is truly tuned for that specific RPM range like they said.

Hope this helps someone in the future. These cars don’t have to sound like shit or tractors. It now sounds like a sophisticated sports car.

For reference it’s the APR MUH0015 that has an indent for the driveshaft: https://www.goapr.com/products/engi...ponents/mufflers_and_resonators/parts/MUH0015
At that price I doubt anyone would open it, but I bet it is just a pipe opening to that huge space or to a small chamber like the Remus can. Also, I have seen so many VERY NICE welds from the cheapo Chinese exhaust... this look like "Fido's butt" to quote Jody.

I also thought this would mount on the same place as the OEM, I guess it is designed to be mounted where people are mounting the Vibrant instead?
1695823713978.png

scslite

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7

Didn't know these existed. Price is very reasonable if it does the job of getting rid of the drone. You don't see that very often nowadays! Everything is marked up!! Thanks for sharing,

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
At that price I doubt anyone would open it, but I bet it is just a pipe opening to that huge space or to a small chamber like the Remus can. Also, I have seen so many VERY NICE welds from the cheapo Chinese exhaust... this look like "Fido's butt" to quote Jody.

I also thought this would mount on the same place as the OEM, I guess it is designed to be mounted where people are mounting the Vibrant instead?
View attachment 291421

This does mount the same as OEM, and looking into it I’m sure it’s similar to their original design. I also posted a photo of what my setup looks like. Not my car but the concept is the same as the photo has the Nameless muffled setup on it. I’ll snap photos of my actual car next time it’s on a lift.

IMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
This does mount the same as OEM, and looking into it I’m sure it’s similar to their original design. I also posted a photo of what my setup looks like. Not my car but the concept is the same as the photo has the Nameless muffled setup on it. I’ll snap photos of my actual car next time it’s on a lift.

View attachment 291430

View attachment 291431

View attachment 291432
Ok, I had to go look at their full exhaust system. Yes it is on the same location as the OEM, but the exhaust routing is completely new. It is not the system you posted above. The triangle shaped one is their previous version, no longer available on their site. Unless I am looking at a different page. I tried with a 2015 and 2019 R and got the same results.

1695835028641.png

1695835077303.png

1695835228106.png

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Ok, I had to go look at their full exhaust system. Yes it is on the same location as the OEM, but the exhaust routing is completely new. It is not the system you posted above. The triangle shaped one is their previous version, no longer available on their site. Unless I am looking at a different page. I tried with a 2015 and 2019 R and got the same results.

View attachment 291433

View attachment 291434
View attachment 291435

Yes, I said the contents of the Helmholtz that I picked up was likely similar to their "original" design. I didn't mention anything about their new system :)