2015 mk7 se sport
Washed it

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What did I do? Screwed up trying to get some dried bird shit off it. I know next to nothing about detailing; any easy way to polish these scratches out? I swear the clear coat on these cars is softer than melted crayons.

View attachment 299763
bird shit is super abrasive and acidic so it eats the clear easily. i have a hazy spot on my roof from letting bird shit sit for a day in the sun. hit it with some polishing compound and it should be good

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
bird shit is super abrasive and acidic so it eats the clear easily. i have a hazy spot on my roof from letting bird shit sit for a day in the sun. hit it with some polishing compound and it should be good
I've had good luck with using heat to get rid of stuff like this. One day a few years back, after having just washed it the night before, i came out to a 2in' dia at least splat on the hood. Left a huge mark and I went crazy trying to hand polish and it wouldn't budge. Then later in the day, after the sun had come all the way up, it was gone. This was in SC so it got real toasty. I have also very carefully used a heat gun to remove a similar mark from seagull shit on the hatch. You can actually watch the haziness go away right before your eyes, and you don't even have to touch the paint (besides cleaning it first)

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I have also very carefully used a heat gun to remove a similar mark from seagull shit on the hatch. You can actually watch the haziness go away right before your eyes, and you don't even have to touch the paint (besides cleaning it first)
I would recommend not doing this. The reason a heat gun will make scratches seem to fade away is because the heat makes the paint swell, hiding the imperfections. This will eventually come back. If the marks from bird crap were very superficial, or not completely etched into the paint they will disappear with time alone, or a good wash. Another problem with heating the paint is that you can actually induce delamination of the paint from the metal. If a good etching primer was not used, paint relies on a mechanical bond to the metal on the car... making the paint swell can cause the little bit of primer imbedded into the metal to push out and separate. Back in the day they used to polish cars at the dealers and docks under full sun, the paint was overheated, car looked fantastic, then a few years down the road the paint started to flake out in a banding pattern.

Looked something like this. Most people thought it was just sun fading, and it mostly affected import Japanese cars (Mitsubishi was a big one with this problem), but some domestics had the same problem as well.

1708954822341.png

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
What did I do? Screwed up trying to get some dried bird shit off it. I know next to nothing about detailing; any easy way to polish these scratches out? I swear the clear coat on these cars is softer than melted crayons.
Like others said, you can try some polishing compound, or take it to a detailer, and have them work some magic in that area.

in the future, don't just try to wipe off dried bird crap. Get a paper towel, fold it a couple of times, and soak it in water. Then leave it on top of the bird poo for about 10 minutes or so. it will soften up the crap, and it will come right off without any rubbing.

it may also good idea to wax the roof and hood of your car more often than the sides. Especially if you park outside a lot. I've been using an SIO type of spray-on wax/polish for the last couple of years, and it's really easy to apply, and leaves the paint really slick, which will help.

UranoMausBosch

Car(s)
19eGolfSE
Today updates -
Just got and installed low-profile rear headrests (already had removed middle, daily pickup my son (backseat) so not doing a "full surgery/removal" just yet).
Exact-match EU/ROW versions are $200+ each, plus shipping - I ordered ebay/recycler yard MK6 "jetta" dark gray cloth units - all three $70, shipping included!
True, not a perfect color match - original headrests are dark-charcoal (almost black) gray, these are medium-dark gray (like center of seat fabric) - but they fit *perfectly* and there's more visibility out rear window. Install took less time than this post. I'm happy.
Whiteline rear (anti)swaybar (22mm) also arrived today - only unboxed that, not quite a "let's pop it on and see how it fits" like headrests.

Attachments

• LowProfile Rear Headrests.jpg
    LowProfile Rear Headrests.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 18

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ha ha!🤣🤣
Been running an awesome BBK that's claimed to shed 40 lbs of unsprung weight and some aftermarket rims. lol

Thanks for the all the suggestions! lol

You guys are funny af or just ignorant! lol
Need to wait a little while on that wing. 💸💸
Removing the wipers and wiper motors is like 100 lbs.

Mass_Paul

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf MK7 GTI S
Like others said, you can try some polishing compound, or take it to a detailer, and have them work some magic in that area.

in the future, don't just try to wipe off dried bird crap. Get a paper towel, fold it a couple of times, and soak it in water. Then leave it on top of the bird poo for about 10 minutes or so. it will soften up the crap, and it will come right off without any rubbing.

it may also good idea to wax the roof and hood of your car more often than the sides. Especially if you park outside a lot. I've been using an SIO type of spray-on wax/polish for the last couple of years, and it's really easy to apply, and leaves the paint really slick, which will help.
I always use a waterless wash and wax spray or detailing spray and a microfiber towel. After having bird droppings destroy my clearcoat on my Hyundai years ago I actually keep a small bottle in my car along with the microfiber towel. Never know when you will need it and the sooner you clean it off, the better

Also, there are countless YouTube video on how to do light paint correction/swirl removal. Try the Megauirs or Chemical Guys channel for reference.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I would recommend not doing this. The reason a heat gun will make scratches seem to fade away is because the heat makes the paint swell, hiding the imperfections. This will eventually come back. If the marks from bird crap were very superficial, or not completely etched into the paint they will disappear with time alone, or a good wash. Another problem with heating the paint is that you can actually induce delamination of the paint from the metal. If a good etching primer was not used, paint relies on a mechanical bond to the metal on the car... making the paint swell can cause the little bit of primer imbedded into the metal to push out and separate. Back in the day they used to polish cars at the dealers and docks under full sun, the paint was overheated, car looked fantastic, then a few years down the road the paint started to flake out in a banding pattern.

Looked something like this. Most people thought it was just sun fading, and it mostly affected import Japanese cars (Mitsubishi was a big one with this problem), but some domestics had the same problem as well.

View attachment 299918
I appreciate the warning. I took great care the whole time to not let get the panel get hotter than was comfortable to the touch. I was trying to replicate letting it sit in the sun cause i'm impatient and have to do something about things as soon as I see them. I haven't noticed the mark returning, nor any clearcoat failure in that area. It's something I'll avoid doing again, and if it ends up peeling a few years from now you can say I told ya so.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Technically did this yesterday, but oh well- Rennstall shift knob

Haven't changed a shift knob in a car in a good 7yrs and forgot what a difference it makes. this sits much lower than stock and between the the weight, and height, the throws feel shorter and the shifting feels more tactile. My desire for a short shifter is gone haha

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Hoping today I hear positive results on the oil leak issue. Really need the helicoil attempt to work as I miss the hell out of my car and car shows are already in full swing.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Technically did this yesterday, but oh well- Rennstall shift knob

Haven't changed a shift knob in a car in a good 7yrs and forgot what a difference it makes. this sits much lower than stock and between the the weight, and height, the throws feel shorter and the shifting feels more tactile. My desire for a short shifter is gone haha
Is that delrin? Also, for a cheap upgrade, grab some delrin cable end bushings. It cleans up the feel without requiring one to screw with the shift tower on the trans (though I'll still go DG Sigma 6 at some point)

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Is that delrin? Also, for a cheap upgrade, grab some delrin cable end bushings. It cleans up the feel without requiring one to screw with the shift tower on the trans (though I'll still go DG Sigma 6 at some point)
Yup it's delrin, they make an aluminum version as well but I didn't want to be burning my hand in the summer and then having to shift with an icicle in the winter haha- I'll look into the bushings!