Attachments

• 20240309_144644.jpg
    20240309_144644.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 126

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

Does AliExpress or Alibaba sell a DAZA engine for cheap? Poor Charles could've picked something up instead of a stage 2 DAZA with 70k miles.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Does AliExpress or Alibaba sell a DAZA engine for cheap? Poor Charles could've picked something up instead of a stage 2 DAZA with 70k miles.
That would be awesome if they did.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

I remember seeing AliE had the VR6 (used in the Atlas/SUV models) for cheap. I think that's what HPA did; buy like 50 of them.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Kinda toying with the idea of buying one to tear down and build up with all the goodies a crazy high hp seeker would want. This is the same method I used to teach myself the Toyota 2JZ engine. I bought another motor, tore it all down, then using a service manual thicker than any dictionary I have ever seen, I built it back up with lots of goodies. To me this makes sense as I plan to keep my GTi and I want a built motor. Might be a bad idea because JZ engines are easy to understand, I have no idea about the EA888 though. Cheaper than paying someone plus I get bragging rights that I built it lol. If the built motor grenades, I can swap the original motor back in while I try again with the built motor.
Honestly......this is what I'm seriously considering.....save a few months of VA pay and pick up a spare engine to actually build.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Unless I missed it, did he say (in the video or elsewhere?) how much he paid for that wrecked RS3?

I don't think he said. I was initially surprised he went with the one he did, it seems like a lot of work for an engine with 70k miles on it. But if anyone knows what they're doing with these cars, it's Charles. And since it's not his daily (think the MK8 R is), it probably won't be racking up tons of miles.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Honestly......this is what I'm seriously considering.....save a few months of VA pay and pick up a spare engine to actually build.

There's a (what looks to be) clean MK7 near me for sale with a blown engine for $3.5k. If I had confidence I could swap an engine, for $7k - $8k could get an MK7 with a brand new motor in it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
There's a (what looks to be) clean MK7 near me for sale with a blown engine for $3.5k. If I had confidence I could swap an engine, for $7k - $8k could get an MK7 with a brand new motor in it.
so it depends on what blown engine means I suppose.....I'd send it to get tanked, honed and blue printed, but if the blown engine needs boring then I'd wave off.....if it only is "blown" due to head damage or ring issue.....that might be "easier"?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
so it depends on what blown engine means I suppose.....I'd send it to get tanked, honed and blue printed, but if the blown engine needs boring then I'd wave off.....if it only is "blown" due to head damage or ring issue.....that might be "easier"?

Silver 4 door S with lighting and performance packages (limited slip diff, same brakes as Golf R)
6 spd manual.

**NEEDS ENGINE SWAP OR MAJOR REPAIRS **

Orig owner, every record from day one.

Bilstein B4 shocks and struts, control arms, bushings, ball joints, shock and strut mounts as well as pendulum mount all replaced in the last 25k (May 2022)

Roughly 35k on brakes (Zimmerman rotors) all around. Replaced brake master cylinder Nov 2021.

OEM wheels with Continental DWS high perf all season tires with 1 or 2 seasons on them (10-20k, can't remember)

Clean RI title in my name, of course.

Car developed a loud rattle and has all kinds of misfire issues, metal in the oil. Recommendation is engine swap. Tons of engines available in salvage yards (GTI/A3).

Sounds like the crank took a walk, a tale as old as time.

Either way, looks like the listing is gone, and I don't have the technical knowhow to trust myself to repair it anyway lol.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Either way, looks like the listing is gone, and I don't have the technical knowhow to trust myself to repair it anyway lol.
I see no reason to let lack of technical knowledge stop you from starting a job... it doesn't become an issue until trying to complete the job... future problems.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I see no reason to let lack of technical knowledge stop you from starting a job... it doesn't become an issue until trying to complete the job... future problems.

Because starting the job requires a $6,500 investment (car + ZZ engine).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Because starting the job requires a $6,500 investment (car + ZZ engine).
Another future problem :LOL:.

And by future I only mean up until the day before the billing cycle closes. Get your points or cashback or travel credits or whatever. But don't pay any interest on something you may never finish, haha.

Last edited: