GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'15 Cayman S or '18 RS3

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
RS3 will respond to mods much better than the NA Porsche if modding is something you've got planned.

A very good point. Unless you're in a very comfortable financial position, I would not even look at modifying the Cayman. That would definitely steer towards the RS3 as well.

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
RS3 will respond to mods much better than the NA Porsche if modding is something you've got planned.

A very good point. Unless you're in a very comfortable financial position, I would not even look at modifying the Cayman. That would definitely steer towards the RS3 as well.

More than likely I wont be modding either. I kind of want to stray away from that world and buy a nicer car and keep it stock. We will see how that goes hah :)

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
More than likely I wont be modding either. I kind of want to stray away from that world and buy a nicer car and keep it stock. We will see how that goes hah :)

Fair. I have a friend with a 2016 Cayman who said the same thing and is already considering trading in for one of the new turbo cars because he wants a bit more power and unlocking any is stupid expensive on the naturally aspirated motor.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
The 718's are awesome. I would recommend a base Cayman 718 over a '15 or so Cayman S. Test drive them and you'll see what I mean... unless you have to have NA in the Porsche.

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
The 718's are awesome. I would recommend a base Cayman 718 over a '15 or so Cayman S. Test drive them and you'll see what I mean... unless you have to have NA in the Porsche.

It'd be hard for me rationalize shelling out 70k for a 2.0 4cyl new 718 ...can pick up a 3.4 6 cylinder cayman S with basically no kms for the same price

Sound is a fairly large area for me which is why I'd be crazy enough to pay 20k more for an rs3 vs an s3 lol

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm just throwing out ideas here, not trying to sway one way or another:

I don't know what your dealers offer there, but a pretty good chunk can be taken off of MSRP on new Porsches (excluding special and GT cars). We've even custom ordered at 7% off. Having driven both extensively and been on and off track in both, and ridden with professional drivers in both at the PEC in Atlanta, the 718 is a technically superior and faster car.

I do also understand that the H6 without forced induction is the ideal Porsche. We've currently got a 981 Spyder, so I get the whole naturally aspirated thing. I just always felt my wife's 981 S felt held back or restrained.

I get that a good deal can be had on second hand; I'm just saying, there are some very good buys out there on new cars, at least in the southeast US. And I'm pretty sure the 718's come with more standard than the old base models, puts them pretty close to the used S as far as performance and equipment.

If you do decide pre-owned, in the states, the CPO warranty is basically optional... it is a flat fee to add it on or take it off, somewhere around $2k for the 981's. This may help with your negotiating if you decide Cayman.

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
I'm just throwing out ideas here, not trying to sway one way or another:

I don't know what your dealers offer there, but a pretty good chunk can be taken off of MSRP on new Porsches (excluding special and GT cars). We've even custom ordered at 7% off. Having driven both extensively and been on and off track in both, and ridden with professional drivers in both at the PEC in Atlanta, the 718 is a technically superior and faster car.

I do also understand that the H6 without forced induction is the ideal Porsche. We've currently got a 981 Spyder, so I get the whole naturally aspirated thing. I just always felt my wife's 981 S felt held back or restrained.

I get that a good deal can be had on second hand; I'm just saying, there are some very good buys out there on new cars, at least in the southeast US. And I'm pretty sure the 718's come with more standard than the old base models, puts them pretty close to the used S as far as performance and equipment.

If you do decide pre-owned, in the states, the CPO warranty is basically optional... it is a flat fee to add it on or take it off, somewhere around $2k for the 981's. This may help with your negotiating if you decide Cayman.

I appreciate the ideas :) Trust me...there are too many good choices and its for sure a good problem to have but it makes for a tough decision.

The 718 is the better car, I dont think there is much of a debate on that. I configured a 718 and it was approx 83K with a 7% discount puts it at 76ish which is a bit more but its also new.

That push and thrust from a Turbo is hard to beat but I think the 981's with the 3.4 H6 are going to hold their value going forward.

CPO is optional here as well but most Porsche dealers include it in their advertised price.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Cayman S all day long. Because NA flat-6 and manual transmission and a very pure driving experience. Yes, the Audi inline-5 sounds great, but the aural ecstasy that comes from the P-car six is so sweet!

Another choice would be a 997.1 Turbo as someone else pointed out above. Epic car for the money! Not sure if you're able to "import" one from the lower 48 or not, but will open up your choices quite a bit.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh damn, I didn't realize the pricing was that much different there. I didn't realize the USD was that much higher than the CDN. My bad.

Yah, that's a big chunk. I'm a Porsche fanboy, but I agree with WhiteGTI for the S 981.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Alfa Romeo 4c

Just look at it

If only it came in manual

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
Oh damn, I didn't realize the pricing was that much different there. I didn't realize the USD was that much higher than the CDN. My bad.

Yah, that's a big chunk. I'm a Porsche fanboy, but I agree with WhiteGTI for the S 981.

Mind you, my 718 config had near 20K worth of options hah If you wanted a more bare bones 718 you could get by with maybe a 73-74K MSRP and probably get it for under 70K with the discount.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yep. I used to do some test driving for FCA for about a year. By far (even above the Vipers and Hellcats) I had more fun driving the 4C but it was absolutely begging to have a manual.

Has to be said.

Lucky bastard.

How do you get a gig like that?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Ok, guys, just send me the Porsche and the Audi, and I'll test 'em for you. I'll get back with a report soon, honest!