GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 Eclipse GT vs. MKV GTI?

dmclone

Oval Champion
I can understand the appeal of the SI, MCS, Solstice, etc but I can get past how ugly the Mitsu is. I think I would actually prefer a Cobalt which is saying a lot.

There are very few cars that look better as convertable IMO but the Eclipse is better looking mostly because it's less ugly body that I have to see.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
i agree it is very ugly

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
let's see.. i would mainly have to disagree on the looks of the car, i think its very unique and designed well. most people who aren't avid gti owners would shit on anything that ISN'T a gti, but thats just my opinion and your opinon is yours as well, i'm not here to argue about that.
i signed up on here a while back to get some info on the gti for my girlfriend who is still in the midst of looking for one with the package and price that she wants.. i test drove the manual, its pretty quick, but like some people stated, stock for stock it is NOT faster than an eclipse GT.
the eclipse is underrated from the factory by A LOT. it puts out about 280 at the crank given its stock dynos of 247 to the wheels.
i agree that comparing magazines test drives aren't accurate so i'll put out this link to show a bone stock eclipse at the track, even has a vid at the bottom.. going 14.02 @ 101 mph. that is 2 hundredths of a second from a stock 13 second run!

http://www.club4geclipse.com/fortopic3751.html

my point is... would people please do some research before stating biased false information.
i'm not posting to say that the eclipse is faster or better, there are just some people on here with immature posts, not only here, but for example in the 06 civic thread, who post regardless of any kind of knowledge at all.

the mentalities of some i just can't understand.. since you don't have it, or feel threatened by it, or god forbid, is faster than the car YOU own, it has to be a piece of shit right? :rolleyes:

i love the new gti and can't wait for my gf to own one so i can have some fun with it. its a great car for what it is.
and the eclipse is a great car for what it is, that is my point. i see ppl on here evolving in stupidity.. when someone with some knowledge corrects that the GT is indeed faster, then some idiot has to look for some other fault such as the weight or how ugly it is. the weight i have to agree with, its a hefty son of a bitch, but look at the final numbers is all i have to say. it can carry its weight and then some.

and yeah.. i have friends who own 350z's.. neck and neck i tell ya. it all comes down to the driver. he wins some, i win some. these are all specs on the 6 speed. autos have a lot more loss of power through the drivetrain.. its slower but not that much slower, can't say cause i've never driven an auto.

gdzlla4602

Autocross Champion
I created this post because my friend has a 2006 GT Eclipse(AUTOMATIC), I never made comments on the look of his car, i like his car. It is just a rivalry that we have. I know he is a member on club4eclipse, sn might be supersteve or midnightridaz not sure.

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
gdzlla4602 said:
I created this post because my friend has a 2006 GT Eclipse(AUTOMATIC), I never made comments on the look of his car, i like his car. It is just a rivalry that we have. I know he is a member on club4eclipse, sn might be supersteve or midnightridaz not sure.

never said YOU did... :wink: some people did and thats cool with me, people are gonna have difference preferences right? but its how it is used that annoys me, and every other car that it has been done too. i'm sure there are other car forums out there bashing on the gti and vice versa.. all i'm gettin at is the immaturity at times.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
JayRoC said:
never said YOU did... :wink: some people did and thats cool with me, people are gonna have difference preferences right? but its how it is used that annoys me, and every other car that it has been done too. i'm sure there are other car forums out there bashing on the gti and vice versa.. all i'm gettin at is the immaturity at times.

Yup, happens all the time man. I've been reading car enthusiast forums since 2000 and it happens with every make and every car. Can't really help it. :wink:

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
My personal prefrence is twordes the GTI, and my personal opinion is the Eclipse is unique, yet feminine. As far as handling, .83 on the skidpad doesnt say much, with a big V6 in that it most definitly suffers SEVERY understeer.

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
yea don't get me wrong, I much prefer the GTI to the eclipse; that's why i got the GTI. However, I'm just sick of people being so one-sided when it comes to comparisons with other cars. It's not mature at all.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Thank you for your post JayRoC!! About time someone posted some facts. BTW, I looked at the Eclipse but couldn't afford to spend that much. I really like the new design. In the end, I couldn't be happier with my GTI, but it's not the fastest car on the planet.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
Yeah, but how does the GTI compare to the Hummer H3, or the '72 Dodge Polara police special?
Sorry to be a rag, but these car vs. car threads are soooooo tiresome. Will the fact that the GTI is faster or slower than some car or other change anyone's mind? Nope.

I really don't care about how my GTI stacks up to others. Some cars are nicer, some not. End of story (for me, anyway)

(dons flame proof underwear . . .)

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
davis_grad said:
Yeah, but how does the GTI compare to the Hummer H3, or the '72 Dodge Polara police special?

Sorry, I have to do this.....

The midsize squads finally became available with the high-power 440ci block. This, despite the power loss of the past few years, made them lightning quick. Even the big Polara with the 440 E86 could still reach over 130mph and run 0-60 in around seven and a half seconds.

Looks like the GTI would take it. :burnrubber:

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
like i said.. take the car for what it is. all i needed was a good looking car IMO and something that would rocket me through a straight line. i admit the eclipse is not meant for handling cause of the front to rear weight distribution, but it isn't entirely bad. the only way to see would be to test drive one, it hugs corners nicely. as for skidpads.. i personally didn't care for them, it didn't have to be the best since the last time i ran my car on a laguna race track was NEVER. i guess i just took into consideration that its nice to have overall good specs to brag about but it really doesn't do much in daily driving, but seriously 97% of the people who buy cars will not be doing 5 lap runs on a tokyo race track. :laugh:

as i said before i test drove the manual Gti and it was quite nice.. we are still searching for the right model and price.

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
MHS216 said:
The Eclipse is so so feminine. No offense but they truly are broke. Gotta love the Kraut Powa!

sure i agree with you and that you can relate that to the 3rd generation eclipse with the cheese graters for doors, and their stepped down performance bringing in any and all buyers, not just performance enthusiasts.. the 1g and 2g's are not, those things were 4cylinder turbo powerhouses, and thus far the 4g is prompting quite a few performance vendors... Greddy has a turbo coming out, and D3 has an available twin turbo. don't start your stupidity after all was said and done. do your research. if you would like to think that it is indeed feminine then its cool. but damn that girly car is fast, and did i mention faster than what you have?
i guess i'll have to do this in order to earn your gti respect huh? here you go... :bow: go sour kraut! sheiza! there, that better? seems like the ricer's who's cars got trashed in the vw commercials all got gti's but kept the SAME mentality... sad really.