GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200TW HPDE tire selections (with one condition)

SpaCeDust

Passed Driver's Ed

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Was thinking of going w the APR set, but got a good deal for these ones and had to do it. The guy over at Vivid racing (Austin, super helpfull guy) told me that i wouldnt need any spacers so that also was a plus. W the APR set i had to get at least 12mm spacer to make them fit since I still have OEM Austin wheels #brokeracer
Wow...I will be super impressed if these fit over Austins without spacers. Please post pics when you get them mounted!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
https://www.vividracing.com/brembo-...ed-type3-front-big-brake-kit-p-152460263.html
Was thinking of going w the APR set, but got a good deal for these ones and had to do it. The guy over at Vivid racing (Austin, super helpfull guy) told me that i wouldnt need any spacers so that also was a plus. W the APR set i had to get at least 12mm spacer to make them fit since I still have OEM Austin wheels #brokeracer

Interesting that the pads don't top load. Kind of a pain for a track set up. Can you return them and just do the Macan 345 x 30 upgrade? It's less than half the cost of those and are top loading.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/consolidated-macan-brembo-upgrade-thread.371028/

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
i run the a052. They are a stupid fast tire, and make my direzza z3 look slow. They also get even worse life. I got 4 weekends out of the DZ3 with two of those weekends not pushing them hard because of being new to each track. The a052 are more than half worn after 1 weekend with them. I will likely get one more weekend out of them, maybe 2 if i run them completely down to the cords, but I'll likely have a spare set of tires ready to go at that point. I'm going to move to R888R or RR because I hear they'll handle temps better. It also helps I can get each for 300$/set :).

Edit: My friend went from a 275 RE71R square setup on his e92 M3 to a 265 square on the a052 and lost a full second on his PR on our home track. I saw the same result from DZ3 to a052.

Also, there appears to be two "types" of a052. There's a type that competes with the sport cup 2/trofeo R category and comes in very specific sizes that are listed as "streetable track tires" and an updated set that comes in different sizes and falls into the "extreme performance street tire" category. I'm not certain if they are different compounds or not, but the "old a052" is the one that was the spec tire for certain race classes in europe for midweight cars. That's the tire I have

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
i run the a052. They are a stupid fast tire, and make my direzza z3 look slow. They also get even worse life. I got 4 weekends out of the DZ3 with two of those weekends not pushing them hard because of being new to each track. The a052 are more than half worn after 1 weekend with them. I will likely get one more weekend out of them, maybe 2 if i run them completely down to the cords, but I'll likely have a spare set of tires ready to go at that point. I'm going to move to R888R or RR because I hear they'll handle temps better. It also helps I can get each for 300$/set :).
AR-1 is significantly better than R888R. Cheap too, but not $300 a set cheap. You must have a real hook up. A052 has one mission. Be fast for one event to scrub them in and then compete at a national level event. Other than that, you'd just be wasting money tracking them, no matter how fast they are.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
AR-1 is significantly better than R888R. Cheap too, but not $300 a set cheap. You must have a real hook up. A052 has one mission. Be fast for one event to scrub them in and then compete at a national level event. Other than that, you'd just be wasting money tracking them, no matter how fast they are.
I have a couple interested parties that want to see me doing more racing, so i get at-cost tires on certain brands (up to two sets per year).

Where do you guys get the Nankangs? I can't seem to find a legitimate source that isn't selling 1yr+ old tires...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a couple interested parties that want to see me doing more racing, so i get at-cost tires on certain brands (up to two sets per year).

Where do you guys get the Nankangs? I can't seem to find a legitimate source that isn't selling 1yr+ old tires...

The guys at Grassroots Motorsports have a source, let me find out who they're using and I'll let you know. Are you just tracking or doing TT? If TT, you might want the fastest tire you can get if you're looking to get sponsorship or a ride.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The guys at Grassroots Motorsports have a source, let me find out who they're using and I'll let you know. Are you just tracking or doing TT? If TT, you might want the fastest tire you can get if you're looking to get sponsorship or a ride.
I'm taking a long road to test and tune before actually jumping into TT again and I have a few partnerships in place that have their own goals. The Toyo RR tire will likely become a "dot street tire" class tire for NASA TT, so it will likely be the fastest tire in the group.

Yeah, please let me know if there's a good source!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If nothing else, the AR-1 would be a good benchmark if you're working with the people developing the RR. I'll let you know.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I'm buying the Vitour Tempesta Enzo this week for track use. Stock is running low and we won't get any more in April. Price is also going to increase in April so just gonna lock in now. If you want to learn more about these tires:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I'm taking a long road to test and tune before actually jumping into TT again and I have a few partnerships in place that have their own goals. The Toyo RR tire will likely become a "dot street tire" class tire for NASA TT, so it will likely be the fastest tire in the group.

Yeah, please let me know if there's a good source!

Phil’s Tire Service sells Nakang AR-1’s. I bought my first set of NT01’s from them. They are good people and I would highly recommend them. They also have a 40 tread wear a Federal track tire for a little less than the AR-1’s.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I looked at Phil's and see a set of the AR1 will run me 750. Not bad, but that's basically the same price as the R888R. Most of the "reviews" I've seen have been for a few laps or less with comment of the R888R building heat more slowly, which is mainly what I'm after for consistency.

Has anyone compared the two themselves on the mqb platform?

Also, on topic for the thread, it appears that Falken is releasing a new 200TW tire for a very reasonable price. Falken tires generally seem to like heavier cars, so they might be a good option for cars like ours that build so much heat over the front end.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I looked at Phil's and see a set of the AR1 will run me 750. Not bad, but that's basically the same price as the R888R. Most of the "reviews" I've seen have been for a few laps or less with comment of the R888R building heat more slowly, which is mainly what I'm after for consistency.

Also, on topic for the thread, it appears that Falken is releasing a new 200TW tire for a very reasonable price. Falken tires generally seem to like heavier cars, so they might be a good option for cars like ours that build so much heat over the front end.
If I recall, one of the predecessors to the RT615K (forget if it was the RT215 or the 615 without the “K”), was actually more of an autocross tire which could see some track use on lighter cars. On heavier cars, the tire would tend to get greasy after sustained lapping. This was the reason why I went with a set of RS-2 at the time!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Trackhack in Australia ran the AR-1’s and seemed to like them. But he has moved onto another tire but I do not recall the brand.