GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200TW HPDE tire selections (with one condition)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I got 2.5 days out of the a052. 3 would have been possible with one more rotation. That was a total of about 18 sessions. With 20 sessions they would have been totally corded. Best lasting 200tw I used were the Hankook, and they touched about 60 sessions. They drastically fell off around 40 sessions and lightly fell off around 8 sessions.

Weather is a big factor and I ran the yoko during June and July in Kansas and Nebraska. With any of the 100tw or 200tw street tires, they make noise at ~95% and actually perform best (with shortest life) when driven at just over 100%. This means if you're pushing the tire to 10/10ths it should be screaming bloody murder in every corner. If not, you have room to go faster!! :D

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
They're definitely making noise through every corner. Most of the events are at Mid Ohio which isn't a particularly rough surface (it's like driving on ice when it's wet) so that probably has something to do with it. Guess I just wouldn't write them off as wearing out in a few days in every instance which seems to be the consensus.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
They're definitely making noise through every corner. Most of the events are at Mid Ohio which isn't a particularly rough surface (it's like driving on ice when it's wet) so that probably has something to do with it. Guess I just wouldn't write them off as wearing out in a few days in every instance which seems to be the consensus.
Absolutely right! Also keep in mind at 95% you may get 8 full days while at 97% you get 4. There are tons of factors, but tire temp, brake pads, toe settings, and suspension balance are the biggest ones - in that order.

On smooth surfaces I get 30% more life, but also heat cycle out faster on basically every kind of tire.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I must not be driving fast enough, because I ran A052s last year for 7-8 track days and they still have some life left. I rotated them religiously to keep the wear even (Mid Ohio is hard on the left side) but they were great, and didn't wear out especially quick.

In other news, I snagged a set of the Nexen 200TW tires (Nfera somethings) off someone who bought them, then went a different direction, that I'm going to put to the test in a week. Grassroots did a test where they were pretty impressed with them, so we'll see.

I’ve ran the Nexens for two track days now and have been happy with them. Doesn’t particularly shine in any area but is a well rounded tire. Looks like I’ll get about 5-6 days out of them.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I must not be driving fast enough, because I ran A052s last year for 7-8 track days and they still have some life left. I rotated them religiously to keep the wear even (Mid Ohio is hard on the left side) but they were great, and didn't wear out especially quick.

In other news, I snagged a set of the Nexen 200TW tires (Nfera somethings) off someone who bought them, then went a different direction, that I'm going to put to the test in a week. Grassroots did a test where they were pretty impressed with them, so we'll see.
If you got 8 track days out of the A052, the SUR4G will last you several years. 🤣

Jk, but you'll like the SUR4G. Not great at anything, but good all around and good tread life.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If you got 8 track days out of the A052, the SUR4G will last you several years. 🤣

Jk, but you'll like the SUR4G. Not great at anything, but good all around and good tread life.

That's good to hear...I think. I'd like to get some "real" track tires next year (just not in the cards for me this year) but I'm not gonna pull the trigger until I wear these out.

But, that's pretty much what I'd want from a 200TW tire. I do track stuff almost exclusively, no autox, so my main concern is the tires getting super greasy. I didn't have that problem with the A052s, but I usually do. The one downside I see is that they're directional, so I can't swap them side to side. I think that's the main reason I got so much life out of the A052s. My right side tires usually have a bit of life left in them when I replace a set. (Tried replacing just one side once, didn't work out as well as I wanted.)

Also keep in mind at 95% you may get 8 full days while at 97% you get 4.

This is also a good point. I started track stuff with Mk1 and Mk3 GTIs, which were happier/faster with lines where I wasn't exactly asking the tires to do a whole lot (especially the Mk1). When the car is that slow, aggressive lines that are hard on the tires just resulted in scrubbing off speed that it took half a lap to get back. I also usually only *really* push a few laps a session. I could definitely drive a more aggressive/faster line, but old habits die hard and it's also nice getting an entire season out of a set of tires. Which I guess gets back to my initial point that, if you want your tires to last longer, you can make them last longer. I'd rather pay for another weekend at the track, than go an extra second faster and spend that money on tires. That's not going to apply in an autox though. Getting that extra tenth of a second is the whole point there.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's good to hear...I think. I'd like to get some "real" track tires next year (just not in the cards for me this year) but I'm not gonna pull the trigger until I wear these out.

But, that's pretty much what I'd want from a 200TW tire. I do track stuff almost exclusively, no autox, so my main concern is the tires getting super greasy. I didn't have that problem with the A052s, but I usually do. The one downside I see is that they're directional, so I can't swap them side to side. I think that's the main reason I got so much life out of the A052s. My right side tires usually have a bit of life left in them when I replace a set. (Tried replacing just one side once, didn't work out as well as I wanted.)

This is also a good point. I started track stuff with Mk1 and Mk3 GTIs, which were happier/faster with lines where I wasn't exactly asking the tires to do a whole lot (especially the Mk1). When the car is that slow, aggressive lines that are hard on the tires just resulted in scrubbing off speed that it took half a lap to get back. I also usually only *really* push a few laps a session. I could definitely drive a more aggressive/faster line, but old habits die hard and it's also nice getting an entire season out of a set of tires. Which I guess gets back to my initial point that, if you want your tires to last longer, you can make them last longer. I'd rather pay for another weekend at the track, than go an extra second faster and spend that money on tires. That's not going to apply in an autox though. Getting that extra tenth of a second is the whole point there.
I wouldn't go less than 200tw unless you're competing in some TT series that requires it.

These cars aren't designed for that kind of grip. Oiling and cooling brakes become a real challenge. It's just not worth it for track days.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
This is exciting but at that price is better be godly because that’s over A052 money.
You get what you pay for I guess.

They're saying this is an endurance focused product so I expect tire temps to be able to hang in the 170-190 range without greasing. That's not what you get from a typical 200tw and also why they burn up into nothing. If tire temps can hang up there without greasing then a proper stagger split will lend to a very neutral car. Most 200tw options grease and get hot on the front then the rear at different times so you're playing with changing handling characteristics in the middle of your session...

These will likely be my next tire for the gti. The yoko have been great on grip and comfort, but life and mid session push are no fun. I might run the yoko staggered first and see how that goes since their biggest issue is heat management, but maybe I'll just jump to these. They're cheaper by a good margin if you sign up for the trackdaytire sponsorship... For my staggered setup it would be 750 for the conti vs 880$ for my yoko.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Been doing a lot of research. At my still level, A052 and Re71R don't make sense.

Narrowed down to (in descending price)

Nexen Nfera Sur4G
Pros : performance like A052
Cons : can't find it anywhere. Not sure about wear. Close to Re71R price

Kumho V730 (which supposedly doesn't have the delaminating issue the V720 had).
Pros : great feel for what the car is doing.
Cons : not at the performance level of previously mentioned, but close
Most likely end up with this one. Just wish there was a tire rack test.

Falken Azenis RT615
Pros : cheap(closeout). Better than the RT660 I.e. reasonable performance.
Cons: worse performance than the others.

Accelera 651 Sport
Pros : cheapest. Very few good reviews (but no bad ones.
Cons : very few good reviews. No official tests for direct comparison with other tires

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Been doing a lot of research. At my still level, A052 and Re71R don't make sense.

Narrowed down to (in descending price)

Nexen Nfera Sur4G
Pros : performance like A052
Cons : can't find it anywhere. Not sure about wear. Close to Re71R price

Kumho V730 (which supposedly doesn't have the delaminating issue the V720 had).
Pros : great feel for what the car is doing.
Cons : not at the performance level of previously mentioned, but close
Most likely end up with this one. Just wish there was a tire rack test.

Falken Azenis RT615
Pros : cheap(closeout). Better than the RT660 I.e. reasonable performance.
Cons: worse performance than the others.

Accelera 651 Sport
Pros : cheapest. Very few good reviews (but no bad ones.
Cons : very few good reviews. No official tests for direct comparison with other tires
I'm not sure who said the SUR4G performances like the A052, but that isn't the case. It's a little off the pace of the RE71R, but handles heat better and wears better.

It's not a great autocross tire though, as the tire takes a run to get warm, cools if there's a delay, and now you're screwed with one run to get it done. Ask me how I know. I wouldn't hesitate to use on track though. Great in the wet at full tread depth too.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

This is exciting but at that price is better be godly because that’s over A052 money.

Interesting. Where do you see the pricing.

I'm not sure who said the SUR4G performances like the A052, but that isn't the case. It's a little off the pace of the RE71R, but handles heat better and wears better.

It's not a great autocross tire though, as the tire takes a run to get warm, cools if there's a delay, and now you're screwed with one run to get it done. Ask me how I know. I wouldn't hesitate to use on track though. Great in the wet at full tread depth too.
Good to know. I've read so many reviews, might have mixed it up. Just remember it was a good performer along with the Victra.

Still have some time till I get the wheels, so hopefully there'll be more tests especially with the V730 (apparently it's based on the V720 ACR for the Viper, not the regular V720)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Interesting. Where do you see the pricing.

Good to know. I've read so many reviews, might have mixed it up. Just remember it was a good performer along with the Victra.

Still have some time till I get the wheels, so hopefully there'll be more tests especially with the V730 (apparently it's based on the V720 ACR for the Viper, not the regular V720)
I was tempted by the V730.

I hope GRM does another 200tw test this year.