GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013.5 GLI Gets Revised Motor?

raaalph

Ready to race!

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
definitely looks different, no maf, but the routing to the turbo is still the same as ours...pvc looks different.oil cap in different location..air box the same.

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yes, these are the new EA888(Gen 3) engine that is coming out of the Silao plant in Mexico. Basically the same engine family as the new MK7 GTI, minus valve lift, dual DI/MPI and thermostat-less cooling management....

Where is the oil-fill now? The big round thing? Doesn't look like a normal cap...

Last edited:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Yes, these are the new EA888(Gen 3) engine that is coming out of the Silao plant in Mexico. Basically the same engine family as the new MK7 GTI, minus valve lift, dual DI/MPU and thermostat-less cooling management....

Where is the oil-fill now? The big round thing? Doesn't look like a normal cap...

the oil cap is in the back towards where the intake pipe meets the turbo

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
That is the new EA888 engine.

Oil Fil located further back
No MAF
Relocated IAT sensor
Different Coil Pack Harness
Relocated EGR
Plastic Oil Filter Housing
No MPI
No Valvelift
Crank Sensor relocated
PCV reroute....

list goes on.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Should be interesting to see if that in fact ends up in the GTI.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The same engine which will be in the North American MK7 GTI then, right?

Should be interesting to see if that in fact ends up in the GTI.

Correct. Minus Valvelift, MPI, Rotary Slide Coolant pump. The things that make the MK7 GTI..........better.

However, Sialo plant will not support MPI, VVL, and RS Pump due to supporting documents and emissions, from what I've read.

Pretty much you are looking at the MK7 GTI motor minus these features. It is now pending whether or not we will get those features which will yield us better power....

Doubtful.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Does this motor have secondary injection of fuel to aid carbon build up? That would be the main feature for me, I don't care for the other crap.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Well, wait a minute...

210 HP/207 TQ.

That ain't no 258 lb-ft as previously reported by the buff books.

Man, VW's got things all over the place when it comes to trying to keep track of updates.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Well if the MK7 GTI is supposed to have the 217 bhp/258 ft-lb number that pretty much all the first drive articles are quoting(and what VW presented to them last week in France), then it'll definitely be the VVL motor. MPI is an emission tool more than anything else and the RS pump is an efficiency thing. I wonder though if the water cooled exhaust manifold is something linked to the pump setup or can still be used with regular thermostat....

The MK6 GLI/Beetle Turbo EA888 is not supposed to be the full beef MK7 engine, so it won't make the MK7 figure, I am guessing they don't make the Gen1 engine anymore out in EU, so they need something to put in the car that still uses it. But these are the first batch of the new engine to be made in Silao. I wonder if the presentation is referring to the initial roll out strategy for the new engines, since I don't imagine the MK7 engine will be online in Silao until probably early next year...

Halvie

WOOSA
Correct. Minus Valvelift, MPI, Rotary Slide Coolant pump. The things that make the MK7 GTI..........better.

However, Sialo plant will not support MPI, VVL, and RS Pump due to supporting documents and emissions, from what I've read.

Pretty much you are looking at the MK7 GTI motor minus these features. It is now pending whether or not we will get those features which will yield us better power....

Doubtful.

So mkvii gti tsi will be different than this? What is the point of making this version then?