GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

bentin

Autocross Champion
Ok, I suppose if a DTS viewer is not an F1 fan and knows absolutely nothing about Lando Norris, then I suppose it's easy to make him look like a prick.

It's easy to paint whatever picture you want when your audience knows nothing. Which is why I'm just not a fan of DTS.
I guess I'm the opposite. I'm kind of tired of the vacuum sounding cars that rarely pass, but I'd watch Guenther Steiner brew coffee all day long.

The one weakness I feel the show continues to have is that it doesn't seem to highlight how much of this sport is dependent on the car alone. There are some great drivers, former world champs, just wasting away in bad cars in the middle of the pack, and some pedestrian drivers doing okay in awesome cars.

I do think they've highlighted that really bad drivers in bad cars are still terrible, Mazepan and early Stroll (he's actually decent now) were amusing to watch wad it up at every opportunity. Albon falls into this group too, but somehow he keeps getting a ride. S4 did absolutely ravage Tuki Tsunoda though, I'm frankly surprised he's back again this year.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
DTS is for the casual person skimming a streaming service looking for something to binge watch, but it's done a great job helping get F1 in front of the masses. What they need to do is expand the DTS season, give us more episodes with more content. They literally film all year, it's not like they don't have the proper material to really show what the sport is about. They choose to dramatize it to keep those that are not necessarily a F1 fan engaged.

I really only watch them to see the interactions of the drivers/teams and to fill the gap between testing and the season starting. That behind the scenes, little or no PR filter, quips between drivers/team members, etc. is what makes watching worth it.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Mercs new rear wing for FP2.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Domenicali - "We feel safe", aka "c.r.e.a.m., get the money"

All teams and drivers supposedly agree to proceed with the race after having a meeting post FP2.

Telemetry of Lec, Ver, Ham fastest laps in FP2

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
They showed an over the shoulder shot of Lewis' helmet in the car in FP2 while the car was porpoising down the straight. It was a solid 10-15 or so jarring up and downs. That has to be uncomfortable as hell to deal with. He asked for a higher seat.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Kind of amazing for Mercedes not to have the car ready for the season.

I guess I'm not really at the level of engineering knowledge to understand what Ferrari and Red Bull know that Mercedes hasn't figured out yet.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Here's the clip I mentioned. Ouch.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
They showed an over the shoulder shot of Lewis' helmet in the car in FP2 while the car was porpoising down the straight. It was a solid 10-15 or so jarring up and downs. That has to be uncomfortable as hell to deal with. He asked for a higher seat.

I guess I'm not really at the level of engineering knowledge to understand what Ferrari and Red Bull know that Mercedes hasn't figured out yet.

Sainz was just as bad though, if not worse:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
I can't imagine either of them can actually see while that is happening.

It looks like they're riding a jackhammer.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion

Completely different design concepts. Here's a comparison of the Ferrari vs. Aston, interesting points in here. I'd imagine some of it applicable to the Merc in some aspects.

"Why Ferrari's sidepods work"

torga

Autocross Champion
Completely different design concepts. Here's a comparison of the Ferrari vs. Aston, interesting points in here. I'd imagine some of it applicable to the Merc in some aspects.

"Why Ferrari's sidepods work"

Ah, form and function. It's been a while since Ferrari fielded a beautiful car that actually worked.
With Ferrari's sidepod design, it seems like the airflow down the side of the car is a lot harder to disturb. Whereas with a sidepod like Aston or Merc, if the front conditioning elements get damaged, they could stand to lose a whole lot of performance, since they're relying on an aero "envelope" to seal the clean air away from the dirty air. Especially on the Merc, since they have even less of a sidepod than Aston.
In Ferrari's case, airflow and performance would of course still be affected if frontward elements get damaged, but they would still have a physical sidepod there to do its job, mitigating some of that loss. Assuming it's light/medium wheel-to-wheel contact, of course. I can only think of one case off the top of my head where a car was able to continue to race without a sidepod... less because of the loss of a sidepod and more because that's where radiators typically are... and they don't like to be bashed in.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Is there word on who will take Mick’s seat tomorrow?
The Haas backup driver on site is Pietro Fittipaldi, but they have opted to field only one car in the race.